• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Need some feedback at my mapping

Zippiex

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello. This is a costum evo server that I work on right now. If you got time to check the pictures and give feedback I would be happy. I'm not so good at mapping and I try to be better. I think with your feedback I can be better.

To the left we got the temple and to the right we got the depot.
MGIVHlZ.jpg

The depot
Rw4ixkO.jpg

Teleport room and the Habour
hIMvsuH.jpg

Tempel and depot with roof.
5CsP2re.jpg

Depot with roof.
mZ3D6Ix.jpg

Habour and teleport room with roof.
cQa5viz.jpg

Dragon spawn
KNI4dL9.jpg

More from the dragon spawn
7FMiwCG.jpg

More
Xq4ntoo.jpg

More
HMcUl5X.jpg

Hydra spawn
z6wJH2N.jpg

More
689EjrB.jpg

More...
IiOvB61.jpg

And more....
dvSxOLS.jpg

You should map small places and then extend them, this way it will take longer, but maps will be quality.

Always quality not quantity.

They are empty, lack details. Also where did u see water borders being so much straight?

This city with fire is absolutely not detailed, one texture of grass. You should mix textures, add stones etc.

Depot on first image is looking very good, I like it.

I'm not expert in mapping, but that's what I saw from these pictures :)

You should map small places and then extend them, this way it will take longer, but maps will be quality.

Always quality not quantity.

They are empty, lack details. Also where did u see water borders being so much straight?

This city with fire, its absolutely not detailed, one texture of grass. You should mix textures, add stones etc.
Thanks there. :D

About the water borders, that was my own imagination of them. Now I know it's wrong :p I have to google some pictures or maybe
get own to see if I find them :D

Just look at other mapping threads and you'll get a fair idea of bordering and maybe detailing. Definitely more control using RAW palette than using autoborder for everything, I myself like to use RAW for everything except most grounds.

Definitely check out mapping threads like peroxide mentioned earlier i found mapping just like you. i looked through several mapping threads and saw the little details they did and how to each mapper had their own signature of mapping. it takes practice but listen to what peroxide said.
i personally use raw way more than auto bordering. it takes longer but you can control the detail. if you are making an evo server. start small like a small hunt then work you way down as you map you will see where you need the detail and where you dont. i look to google images for towns, lakes, forest, for ideas. to see how it naturally should look.

pretty sure in your temple pic, when you come upstairs you go to the south square, which would put you in your pillar, might want to change that :D. some of the land looks a little squarey, needs some more grass tufts and different types of stones, maybe like stalagmites in the dragon spawn. Heres a dragon spawn I made(not saying i'm a good mapper) but maybe together we can learn something from eachother =]...The most important thing I think is to add your own creativity, and make something you would want to play on. I like to think when I walk in a place its surrounded by lots of layers and several floors that makes me think wow :D

xFA4i6G.jpg
[/IMG]
xFA4i6G.jpg

Last edited:
pretty sure in your temple pic, when you come upstairs you go to the south square, which would put you in your pillar, might want to change that :D. some of the land looks a little squarey, needs some more grass tufts and different types of stones, maybe like stalagmites in the dragon spawn. Heres a dragon spawn I made(not saying i'm a good mapper) but maybe together we can learn something from eachother =]...The most important thing I think is to add your own creativity, and make something you would want to play on. I like to think when I walk in a place its surrounded by lots of layers and several floors that makes me think wow :D

xFA4i6G.jpg
[/IMG]
xFA4i6G.jpg
It looks nice. I will make a version 2 of my map which means I going to start from the begining and only use RAW this time. I will also make it smaller and have more details. It will maybe take 1-2 years before the map is done but it's worth it and I will learn from it, I guess.

It looks nice. I will make a version 2 of my map which means I going to start from the begining and only use RAW this time. I will also make it smaller and have more details. It will maybe take 1-2 years before the map is done but it's worth it and I will learn from it, I guess.

I say take advantage of the auto border tool, it saves a lot of time. Just use the raw when necessary. Often times, I have to turn the autoborder magic off(press a) in order to get some things done especially like drawing boat docks and maybe some other things, can't remember right off. when it comes to actual playability, most players aren't going to give a shit if its super detailed anyway infact too many details may be annoying, keep that in mind when building a hunting spawn. When building a city keep PvP aspect in mind too, Places to get trapped etc. One more thing, I see so many servers with huge custom maps with like 15 cities and 95% of the players are in the main city, So they ended up wasting a ton of time building other cities, when instead they could have added to areas that get utilized more often. I try to look from a player perspective as much as possible. Hey man if theres anything I can do to help, feel free to message =]

I say take advantage of the auto border tool, it saves a lot of time. Just use the raw when necessary. Often times, I have to turn the autoborder magic off(press a) in order to get some things done especially like drawing boat docks and maybe some other things, can't remember right off. when it comes to actual playability, most players aren't going to give a shit if its super detailed anyway infact too many details may be annoying, keep that in mind when building a hunting spawn. When building a city keep PvP aspect in mind too, Places to get trapped etc. One more thing, I see so many servers with huge custom maps with like 15 cities and 95% of the players are in the main city, So they ended up wasting a ton of time building other cities, when instead they could have added to areas that get utilized more often. I try to look from a player perspective as much as possible. Hey man if theres anything I can do to help, feel free to message =]
Thank you. The reason I want to rebuild from begining is that I think I can do it better this time. I will not be over detailed but I will try to make it looks nice.

Back