• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

New Server Discussion - Lord of the rings thema

MiddleServer

Reaction score
Hi! I am new in this forum, but I have been working in a proyect and I would like to read some feedbacks about it.

The lasst 4 years! I have been working slowly and with the limitated time I got, in order to create a detailed server about Lord of the Rings. I got a map created by myself of 1400x600 sqm aprox.

The server is based in tibia 10.98. It has like 100 quests, with missions and quest log. The spells are new and edited or created by me. I would say that is challenging to play, because in the Lord of the Rings world is almost imposible to learn magic for a man. So you have to do many quests to start using some. There are also no vocations and you can choose if you want more mana , attack or hp at any time by paying some gps. The Server have 5x exp and it have some other features add by me. (you may see some of them in Middle Server (http://middleserver.blogspot.com) )

Some months ago some of my friends tested it for 3 weeks, they really liked the gameplay and some even spend more time than they should playing. The bst one got to lvl 80 in this time.

Soo, why am I posting this? I want to know if there is people that would like to play a difficult server, with a detailed lord of the rings map and features. And also any opinion about this proyect. I have problems with the acc and character creation and I want to know if it's worth it to work in solving them.

I like the fact that people who have magic have really been trying to get it. It is rare and powerful that only the most dedicated will achieve.

I like the fact that people who have magic have really been trying to get it. It is rare and powerful that only the most dedicated will achieve.
Yeaah, that's precisely my idea. I created 3 types of magic: herbal magic (the most basic one, that uses herbs from your backpack as reagents), martial arts (that are like physical abilities, like exori) and the mos powerful is elemental magic (you choose one of 6 elements). To get all 3 you have to do quests.
Finally people are starting to use themes for their server.
Thanks for the replies. It's great to know that you find the idea interenting. I will try to fix the account creation ;)

I'm always glad to see new low-rate servers.
While I'm not a fan of your minimap and item sprites (many parts of the map look like they were made in a few minutes using the biggest brush, and the items are most often just worse-looking versions of the existing equipment), I do like your no-vocation attribute system. Although I'd like to suggest one thing concerning it.

I assume the main purpose of the attribute point reset is letting players correct the mistakes they've made due to insufficient knowledge of the server. And I'm afraid that the current cost (10000 gp) doesn't fulfill this purpose too well.
The cost is very high for new players, so they'll be hesistant to pay that much for a reset, even if they did some mistake early on. On the other hand, for high-leveled players 10000 gp is nothing, so they'll reset their attributes whenever they feel like it. Players switching from one build to another just to complete a single quest or to kill one boss/player will be a very common occurrence.
I believe it would be better to:
– significantly lower the gold cost of the reset, so it'll be affordable even for players who have recently started playing (I don't know how easily you can earn gold on your server, but something around 2000gp seems reasonable)
– add a percentage cost of experience and skills, so high-leveled players will think twice before resetting their attribute points (I've toyed around with the values and 5% seems okay)

This is how the 5% experience cost would look like on certain levels:
lvl 10, 100% to go -> lvl 9, 17% to go
lvl 20, 100% to go -> lvl 19, 33% to go
lvl 30, 100% to go -> lvl 29, 49% to go
lvl 50, 100% to go -> lvl 49, 82% to go
lvl 75, 100% to go -> lvl 73, 25% to go
lvl 100, 100% to go -> lvl 98, 67% to go
lvl 150, 100% to go -> lvl 147, 52% to go
lvl 200, 100% to go -> lvl 196, 36% to go
lvl 300, 100% to go -> lvl 294, 6% to go

Aside from that, I believe you should consider changing the name of your server. While "Middle-earth" is perhaps a trademarked term (not that anyone would care about that, anyway), "Middle" doesn't really indicate this is a server based on LotR. It also just doesn't sound good.

Last edited:
Usually every ''middle earth'' ot has NOTHING to do with tolkien world. I dont want to sound picky. But you must add unique features in order to make it feel like lord of the rings and not just a map saying ''hello this is bree and this is an elven town'':

Lets say every X days gollum spawn and it has a % to drop the unique ring, the unique ring is powerful and it will delete overtime. There can be only 1 ring.

The ring can make the player invisible for X time, it also has a cooldown and will attract ''evil'' monsters, maybe u can make a simple faction, so players can choose to play the light or the darkness.

Also the unique ring could give global buffs, if light faction owns it, it makes light faction player stronger and drakness get a debuff.

There also could be a mine that look like moria and a fire balrog inside it, a raidboss.

Many trolls, trasgos, magic cloaks, elves with the ability to hide.

Bree taverns should feel alive. Npcs there could sell drinks that grant buffs.

And of course Sauron have to be there. Not just as a raidboss.

Maybe u can make events like Sauron needs 10000 wood, 10000 iron in order to build up a huruk hai army.

Evil choosen faction players can go out and kill trents and collect resources, light faction players should prevent this from happening or towns such as bree will get raided.

Also would be even better if u hire a spriter and use custom made sprites to make it trully detailed and tolkien like. Get a domain and start a serious project.

Just my thoughts

I assume the main purpose of the attribute point reset is letting players correct the mistakes they've made due to insufficient knowledge of the server. And I'm afraid that the current cost (10000 gp) doesn't fulfill this purpose too well.
The cost is very high for new players, so they'll be hesistant to pay that much for a reset, even if they did some mistake early on. On the other hand, for high-leveled players 10000 gp is nothing, so they'll reset their attributes whenever they feel like it. Players switching from one build to another just to complete a single quest or to kill one boss/player will be a very common occurrence.
– significantly lower the gold cost of the reset, so it'll be affordable even for players who have recently started playing (I don't know how easily you can earn gold on your server, but something around 2000gp seems reasonable)
– add a percentage cost of experience and skills, so high-leveled players will think twice before resetting their attribute points (I've toyed around with the values and 5% seems okay)

The only MMO's i've played through my years that is Close to a system like this, with Points and Talents to make your character stronger in ways the players wish to be stronger in. But reseting should be costly. For example, Classic World of Warcraft, reseting your talent tree is cheap in the beginning, everyone can afford it a few times, then the prices really sky rocket.

Start easy, doesnt really matter how much gold is accessable on the server. Start with 100 gp. Then double it. Then Double it. Then double it.
100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800. You get my Point. And also the prices should of course be private, and for each day you dont reset your talent/skills, the price will step down one time. So example would be: from 1600 gold to 800 gold after 24 hours or after each server reset.

I'm always glad to see new low-rate servers.
While I'm not a fan of your minimap and item sprites (many parts of the map look like they were made in a few minutes using the biggest brush, and the items are most often just worse-looking versions of the existing equipment), I do like your no-vocation attribute system. Although I'd like to suggest one thing concerning it.

This is how the 5% experience cost would look like on certain levels:
lvl 10, 100% to go -> lvl 9, 17% to go
lvl 20, 100% to go -> lvl 19, 33% to go
lvl 30, 100% to go -> lvl 29, 49% to go
lvl 50, 100% to go -> lvl 49, 82% to go
lvl 75, 100% to go -> lvl 73, 25% to go
lvl 100, 100% to go -> lvl 98, 67% to go
lvl 150, 100% to go -> lvl 147, 52% to go
lvl 200, 100% to go -> lvl 196, 36% to go
lvl 300, 100% to go -> lvl 294, 6% to go

Aside from that, I believe you should consider changing the name of your server. While "Middle-earth" is perhaps a trademarked term (not that anyone would care about that, anyway), "Middle" doesn't really indicate this is a server based on LotR. It also just doesn't sound good.
Hi
I really liked your comments. The Idea for the attributes points change is very good. Indeed I wanted to give the players the option to redimed their decision, when they realise what is better for them in this server. The exp and skill penalty is a very good solution. Thanks!
About the Server name, I didn't thought about it to hard. I may changed it to Middle Earth Adventures, but I will work on those details, if I see that the server worth it.
About the map, this is the part that I mostly invest my time. The minimap that I posted is just the first floor. If you see all floors, you will see that many areas have a good amount of details, I build it using some lotr maps. But I must admit that some areas that I build earlier are a little bit uglier, because I learned while I worked. I tried to export a complete minimap, but my editor didnt manage to do ti :/. You will be able to see it once I open the server.
About the sprites.. yes their aren´t very good jajja. I started working with 2 friends, but they didnt wanted to continue working early on. And I have been working on it slowly in my free time. I want to do a good job, but I dont have enough time and no money (for now) to get help in order to cover every basic aspect of a server, but I will keep pushing slowly but surely. I changed some sprites just to let the player know that this is not normal tibia.
Thanks for your feedback, I will surely use it ;)

Usually every ''middle earth'' ot has NOTHING to do with tolkien world. I dont want to sound picky. But you must add unique features in order to make it feel like lord of the rings and not just a map saying ''hello this is bree and this is an elven town'':

Lets say every X days gollum spawn and it has a % to drop the unique ring, the unique ring is powerful and it will delete overtime. There can be only 1 ring.

The ring can make the player invisible for X time, it also has a cooldown and will attract ''evil'' monsters, maybe u can make a simple faction, so players can choose to play the light or the darkness.

Also the unique ring could give global buffs, if light faction owns it, it makes light faction player stronger and drakness get a debuff.

There also could be a mine that look like moria and a fire balrog inside it, a raidboss.

Many trolls, trasgos, magic cloaks, elves with the ability to hide.

Bree taverns should feel alive. Npcs there could sell drinks that grant buffs.

And of course Sauron have to be there. Not just as a raidboss.

Maybe u can make events like Sauron needs 10000 wood, 10000 iron in order to build up a huruk hai army.

Evil choosen faction players can go out and kill trents and collect resources, light faction players should prevent this from happening or towns such as bree will get raided.

Also would be even better if u hire a spriter and use custom made sprites to make it trully detailed and tolkien like. Get a domain and start a serious project.

Just my thoughts
Thats true, thats why I wanted to do this server! I have been trying to build it using the official info as much as I can ... I also had to add a lot of own ideas. But I can say that the map is fairly similar to the offical.
The server is going in the 2900 of the third age and I want to build everything thinking in that date. This is like 50 years earlier than the hobbit history. I put some lore NPC like the father of Bilbo or the father of Aragorn, that actually give you some missions.

The map have been build starting by Bree, so the first enemys you can fight are animals and evil humans like bandits or renegades. But to the east pasing the weather hills you may find some goblins, warg wolfs and even trolls (big ones). For some monsters I edited their outfits like for the goblins, for others I just used the tibia outfits like the ogres as trolls. There are also some items of lord of the rings, like an old arnorian armor, the helmet of a goblin heavy infantry or some dwarven pieces of armor. But better sprites willhave to wait.

Back