• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

New Zealand want's to raise the price of cigarettes!

anodax1995

Reaction score
The cost of a packet of cigarettes in New Zealand could rise to as much as $100 dollars - around £50 - by 2020 amid moves to stamp out smoking.

The Ministry of Health wants New Zealand to be smoke free by 2025 and the suggested increase gives the first hint of the drastic measures being discussed.
A document released under the Official Information Act to the country's 3 News website features a number of pricing scenarios - with the most extreme showing a single cigarette costing the equivalent of £2.50.
One option being considered is a 10% increase on a pack of 20 cigarettes year-on-year from 2013 to 2025, meaning it would cost $40 (£20) a pack by 2024.
But a second scenario would see packs at $100 each by 2020, achieved by an immediate shock rise of 30% to 60%, with on-going increases of 30% each year after that.

Sick??

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16214173

Not sick, smoking cigarettes really need to disappear.
I know someone who died of second hand smoke, it's so sad.

Good.
I hate smokers, i get alot of second hand smoke, walking outside, school etc.. i find it disgusting, and worrying to my health..

Well, i am a smoker and shouldnt we be allowed to make the decision ourself to smoke or not smoke? but i get your point, maybe make it like illigal to smoke in big cities? i think that would be better lol, if people stop smoking means less money for the government and they have to higher other things, think about it.

Men who quit smoking by 30 add 10 years to their life. People who kick the habit at 60 add three years to their life. In other words, it’s never too late to benefit from stopping. Quitting not only adds years to your life, but it also greatly improves the chance of a disease-free, mobile, happier old age.

Well, i am a smoker and shouldnt we be allowed to make the decision ourself to smoke or not smoke? but i get your point, maybe make it like illigal to smoke in big cities? i think that would be better lol, if people stop smoking means less money for the government and they have to higher other things, think about it.

They are worried about more people dying than taking less money.

I'm curious can someone tell me how at risk I am.. I'm 22 year's old never smoked anything in my life but I'm around 3-4 people who smoke heavily, I'm usually in my room with the door closed when I'm home but I know second hand smoke get's through the door & into my lungs & on my clothes! ewww! was wondering if you think that will shave any year's off my life? I'm trying to live perfectly well I eat healthy..

Me, Peroxide, and Kiwi dan are all from New Zealand. Given the nature of New Zealand... I doubt it will actually go anywhere, unlike your government, ours will listen.. sometimes, not to mention the amount of Maori (NZ Native) will start complaining that their Unemployment Benefit, will be pretty much nothing since they'll spend it on Cigarettes.

Personally I don't care, I'm not a smoker.

personally i don't see the point in smoking fags/cigarettes, it just damages you and in no way benefits.
Unless your smoking weed.

personally i don't see the point in smoking fags/cigarettes, it just damages you and in no way benefits.
Unless your smoking weed.

Yeah, that's the problem with this society. People are allowed to smoke cigarettes and not marijuana.
In the US, you can smoke marijuana if you don't get caught, but you can still smoke it in public if you have a medical marijuana license.
There are still multiple efforts to legalizing marijuana and hemp, wouldn't surprise me of California is the first to legalize them.
It really would stop the Mexico/US drug war, just like what legalizing alcohol did in the Prohibition Era, dissolving the Mafia.

well, im from The Netherlands and its "kinda" allowed here. soon only for Dutchies tho

Actually, there are alot unhealthy things like fast food. In the Netherlands 3x as much people die from eating to much fast food then from to much smoking. Most people exaggerate when it comes to smoking. I think the reason why people smoke is the same reason why people eat fastfood. They know it's bad, but they just like it.

Actually, there are alot unhealthy things like fast food. In the Netherlands 3x as much people die from eating to much fast food then from to much smoking. Most people exaggerate when it comes to smoking. I think the reason why people smoke is the same reason why people eat fastfood. They know it's bad, but they just like it.

+1 at this, but dont you think its the people their decision and not from the government :eek:

+1 at this, but dont you think its the people their decision and not from the government :eek:

It's not your decision to kill other people either.
In an effort to reduce this, that's why they are raising the prices or banning them from places.

so, soon we cant ride a car anymore because u harm the people with your gas?

Keyword: reducing.
While we cannot impact everyone by removing cars, we can impact a smaller society by reducing smoking.

EDIT: yikes, didn't realize i have 4000 posts

I'm a smoker but wouldn't mind the English government coming down really hard on it, all they care about is the massive ammount of money they gain from us.

Keyword: reducing.
While we cannot impact everyone by removing cars, we can impact a smaller society by reducing smoking.

EDIT: yikes, didn't realize i have 4000 posts

Well I wouldn't say that the amount of smokers is a small part of the society.

Back