• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Non-PVP hours?

Sequax

Reaction score
Hey! I'm currently working on a server (not live yet). But I was just thinking if it would be a good idea to set a couple of hours of non-PVP every day. Say for example that between 16:00 - 18:00 it the server would be set to non-PVP and then back to PVP.

I'm not much for PVP myself but I know that a vast majority wants it. So this would be sort of a solution for the non-PVPers that doesn't want to play on dead servers.

What would the PVPers say about something like this?

For some context. This would be a sort of low rate exp, real map kind of server.

Hey!
I think it first and foremost depends on what sort of features you would have on the server, like, would there be a blessings system? Possible to buy AOL for a decent (not too cheap nor too expensive) price or loot it? Would there be any training rooms with no PvP at all?

On a server without training rooms, offline trainer and blessings, non-PvP "hours" would be pure gold! But if the server has blessings, training rooms where you cannot PK, or even offline training, then non-pvp "hours" would be pretty boring in my opinion.

I certainly love being able to hunt, skill, train magic level or even make runes in complete peace, not having to think about the possibility of being killed by another player, while of course still being in the game. But I also love being able to jump another player while it's hunting, or standing AFK somewhere remotely.

The version is also partly important, because the higher the version, the easier leveling up, getting proper equipment, making money, and even skilling/magic leveling gets.
For an example in version 7.72 and lower, hunting Demons as a 100+ mage is still a proper challenge, since mana fluid is the 1 and only mana refilling item there is. No vocation has OP healing spells (like Knights nowadays), and Paladins aren't killing Demons in "3" hits.
So in those versions, it's still quite painful to die (whether it be by a player or a monster), since you loose quite a bit of exp and skills. Items too, unless you have AOL, which is quite expansive.

On a server without training rooms, offline trainer and blessings, non-PvP "hours" would be pure gold! But if the server has blessings, training rooms where you cannot PK, or even offline training, then non-pvp "hours" would be pretty boring in my opinion.

I'm planning to have training rooms. So skilling or rune making wouldn't be a factor. It will be only for the "go hunt in peace" or doing quests and teamhunts without damaging eachother. Also 7.72 is the version.

What part would be boring exactly? Is it that maybe people would just wait for the non-PVP hours to hunt or something like that? Because I can see that happening.

On servers where training rooms exist, at least if you cannot PK those who stand in the training rooms, then usually people stand there like 24/7, leading to a lot of players being AFK.
On a server without training rooms, people would train on each other, often in more remote places, or at least where there's less people running around regularly. And that way there's a bit more active players, so then non-pvp hours would be fully beneficial and even used to its maximum too.

So the big inactivity in regards to case 1 is what I find boring.

There was an 8.6 OT I played on for a while, it had several little islands with 2 training monks on, and you had to walk into a teleport, then you were placed on a random island, and the islands were so far away from each other, so you couldn't even see a player, and it was non-PvP zones on them too.
Most of the online players where at the trainers, AFK pretty much all days long, was only like 5-10 players out of the online players who weren't in there.

So I would suggest something like limiting the time that one can occupy a training slot/room for, as an example, 1 hour per character per day.
Or maybe like 3 hour training, then a cooldown of like 6 hours, per account.

That way less people would be in training rooms 24/7, leading to a bit more player traffic out on the field, which would mean more PvP action for those who wants to enjoy it, and that would also mean that people would have to plan when exactly to train, or when exactly to fully use the time of non-PvP hours.

Non-pvp hours could easily be (ab)used as a pvp tool, so be careful about how you go about implementing it. Even daily server saves are used as a tool in pvp.

Try toggle pvp a button that lets player turn the pvp mode on, it needs a cooldown so it cant be abused

Try toggle pvp a button that lets player turn the pvp mode on, it needs a cooldown so it cant be abused
Sounds like an OTClient thing. I haven't really looked in to that yet. Gonna use a modified 7.72 cip client to start off (just ip and stuff). Interesting idea though :p

Bad idea. Players that don't get to play in the time-zone for non-pvp will be mad because they can't keep up with the players that are able to play then. Depending of course on player population and amount of pking that actually happens on the server.

It would either be something that didn't make a difference or would ruin the server completely.

If anything make it so the player can turn on no-pvp for his character for 2 hours or something a day. That would work more effectively.

Just set up an npc or talkaction that uses a timestamp on a storage value. I would use an NPC that is in protection zone that way you dont have to worry about setting up a bunch of code to check if they are in combat and stuff to stop them from using their non-pvp mid fight.

Non-AOL hours thrown in would be cool. Would separate the men from the boys.

Or make an AOL only usable for a set amount of time per day to combat the time-zone problem.

NPC in a protection zone charges your AOL maybe? To steal from Itutorials idea. :p

Back