• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows Not enough memory

Hultin

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently tried running 10.76 of ORTS project, but whenever i try to run the server (tried debug, release and a nightlybuild) I get a error saying not enough memory. (see below)

Is there any reason this happens? I have lots of memory to spare as you can see so it makes no sense at all.

XTCWLnb.png

Last edited:
I don't understand how it can be just me and one other on the forums having this issue with such a large release as ORTS.

is there anyway to trace what could be wrong? I get no more detailed information regardless of running debug or release.

LuaJIT is limited to (2^31)-1 stack objects. It's possible that you pushed a lot of data into non-local variables (though it's unlikely as that would need to be around 2 billion characters...).

That's indeed not what's going on. What really is weird is that this happens several times, logically it would (if that was the issue) crash after the first time it says out of memory, which clearly is not the case.

It's also possible that it's an issue with Lua's GC not collecting garbage fast enough and the runtime running out of memory until at some point it stalls completely, though that seems unlikely as well.

The 32bit verison is telling me it's unable to start correctly. (0Xc000007b).

I've gone back and tried older versions of TFS x64 that i had stored on my dropbox, and they work fine so what you suggest seems to be true WibbenZ, I'll have to keep an eye out for a update to TFS maincommit. There was a update after I had posted but it did nothing.

It does start the default package that TFS comes with however, just not ORTS.

These errors what are you printing does not cause stack overflow.
Because they cant be loaded. (unless you force the to load.. lol)
There is 1 script what either generates addEvents what loads same script.
Or something else i cant see from the info you display to us.

Now it works, no clue why. I'm curious however, am I the only one having random crashes with TFS 1.1 latest commit? Or could it be something caused by ORTS?

@JoccE take your elitist love of Linux elsewhere. I'm learning to develop on this server, which I plan to use ORTS as a base for, and I won't be getting a server for that purpose.

Why would they ever prio x86 over x64? It does not make any sense at all, surely almost everyone has the capabilities to run 64bit servers theese days, no?

@JoccE take your elitist love of Linux elsewhere. I'm learning to develop on this server, which I plan to use ORTS as a base for, and I won't be getting a server for that purpose.

Why would they ever prio x86 over x64? It does not make any sense at all, surely almost everyone has the capabilities to run 64bit servers theese days, no?

"take your elitist love of Linux elsewhere" <-- Linux and elitist haha :D You do know that Linux is actually easier then Windows right? They dont complicate things. And you can run a Linux 32-bit server with 64GB of ram because they actually know what they are doing. Still each virtual process can only hold 4 GB with 1 GB for the Kernel

They dont prio anything...

The server is compiled on a a x86 32-bit because most ppl use that and you wont need 64-bit for anything except Real Map server.
+ I can tell you that most of the DEVs of TFS is running Linux or Unix so be happy that there is a .exe with it and not just sources.
If you want i can even explain to you how the memory in a computer works when it comes to 32-bit and 64-bit and why they server crashes when using X amount of RAM, but maybe that is to much :)

So from that it is not hard to ACTUALLY complile the server on the same machine that you are running on in 64-bit.

If you would actually take your time and open the README file you will see that to compile the server it is 4 steps only and take 2 min max.
https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/wiki/Compiling-on-Windows

And maybe they think that if you do not have the computer skills to actually compile the server yourself, maybe you should not be running a server at all. Not everything in the world is free, it might be open source but you actually have to think also.

//JoccE The Elitist of Linux <-- My new title now ;)

Last edited:
Back