• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Notepad++

owned

Excellent OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Today I would like to try and convince everyone to never use notepad++ again. Quite a few days ago I opened one of my libraries to find everything to be replaced with NUL. This file happened to have 10300 lines of code. So unless you guys would like to waste hours scripting just to lose what you've worked on I suggest finding an alternative.

Maybe some people could post the program names that they use.

Today I would like to try and convince everyone to never use notepad++ again. Quite a few days ago I opened one of my libraries to find everything to be replaced with NUL. This file happened to have 10300 lines of code. So unless you guys would like to waste hours scripting just to lose what you've worked on I suggest finding an alternative.

Maybe some people could post the program names that they use.
Weird. I once messed up my file with some keyboard shortcut too, but with google help i was able to remove these NULs again and get my code back.

my friend suggested sites like these, when I was saying that I wasted hours to find a global value from my files.
not sure would these be any help for you. I haven't still looked these and what they do, I just got the links.
https://bitbucket.org/sylvanaar2/lua-for-idea/wiki/Home
http://studio.zerobrane.com/

Seriously, if you have 10k lines of code that are not commited to a git repository on an external server, you're just asking for trouble. Doesn't matter what IDE you use, there are a gazillion things that might end up destroying the code in your local copy. Git is not that hard to use! Just some work and discipline for a few weeks and you won't even consider it a hassle, trust me.

In situations like these I like to quote Alan Jude from the TechSNAP podcast:
If you don't have your data in at least 3 separate locations then it might as well not exist at all.

Seriously, if you have 10k lines of code that are not commited to a git repository on an external server, you're just asking for trouble. Doesn't matter what IDE you use, there are a gazillion things that might end up destroying the code in your local copy. Git is not that hard to use! Just some work and discipline for a few weeks and you won't even consider it a hassle, trust me.

If you don't have your data in at least 3 separate locations then it might as well not exist at all.
YES! I'M NOT HOPELESS CAUSE!

I had part of it backed up but I don't consistently back my files up because there's really no point. This was worst case scenario where it's a bug in the program which is why I'm suggesting nobody else use notepad++. It doesn't really matter how many lines of code, what I'm saying is it could happen to anyone so don't use it. Any other situation I could somehow get my data back.
Weird. I once messed up my file with some keyboard shortcut too, but with google help i was able to remove these NULs again and get my code back.

my friend suggested sites like these, when I was saying that I wasted hours to find a global value from my files.
not sure would these be any help for you. I haven't still looked these and what they do, I just got the links.
https://bitbucket.org/sylvanaar2/lua-for-idea/wiki/Home
http://studio.zerobrane.com/
Trying to find something but haven't found it yet. Only thing I've seen is to check appdata for notepad++ and see if there's a backup, but nothing found.

and see if there's a backup, but nothing found.
aww.
I was lucky and had several files with different date/time of same file, And 1 of the options restored my progress where I wanted from. (before the boxes appeared)

BTW.
you have 10000 lines in single file?
seems like bad practice imo.

aww.
I was lucky and had several files with different date/time of same file, And 1 of the options restored my progress where I wanted from. (before the boxes appeared)

BTW.

Well I could've had it separated into 10 files, had them all open at the time of the crash and same result. So would've made no difference how many files.

Well I could've had it separated into 10 files, had them all open at the time of the crash and same result. So would've made no difference how many files.
oh ic. well just sad then.

The lesson here - automatic backups are king.
If you're looking for a Np++ alternative, try Sublime Text.

I've got something similar for my server. It's a library of custom functions / coordinates / systems. It's split into a folder but it used to be one file, around the same size. It's not necessarily a bad idea to consolidate code to one area, while it may not be the most efficient way to process code it's definitely cleaner and easier to maintain in the long run (which saves tons of man hours.)

Red

The lesson here - automatic backups are king.
If you're looking for a Np++ alternative, try Sublime Text.

I've got something similar for my server. It's a library of custom functions / coordinates / systems. It's split into a folder but it used to be one file, around the same size. It's not necessarily a bad idea to consolidate code to one area, while it may not be the most efficient way to process code it's definitely cleaner and easier to maintain in the long run (which saves tons of man hours.)

Red
Yea it's a rough lesson to learn. But I'll check out sublime.

Back your stuff up... 10300 lines of code no backups? No sorrow felt. Il continue to use ++ TY. Wait till you have a whole solid state go bonkers on you.. you think 1 10000 line file is bad xDD I copy all my OT stuff onto whole separate drives.

Download dropbox for free, put your server and other scripts in dropbox, then if anything happens it saves all your previous versions and you can go back.

I've had MILLIONS of times where I screwed something up (was my fault, it is almost always your fault).

You should back-up your servers, back-up your SQLs, back-up your computer's hard drive, if you don't have back-ups. It is 100% your fault for losing work.

Download dropbox for free, put your server and other scripts in dropbox, then if anything happens it saves all your previous versions and you can go back.

I've had MILLIONS of times where I screwed something up (was my fault, it is almost always your fault).

You should back-up your servers, back-up your SQLs, back-up your computer's hard drive, if you don't have back-ups. It is 100% your fault for losing work.

Dropbox is NOT a good solution to back up source code of any kind, trust me, I've been there, done that. Once you start using SCMs (like git) for your code you'll NEVER want to go back to these methods straight out of the middle ages.

Dropbox is NOT a good solution to back up source code of any kind, trust me, I've been there, done that. Once you start using SCMs (like git) for your code you'll NEVER want to go back to these methods straight out of the middle ages.

No thanks, I actually despise github, hate it, and wish the company would die out, and burn into hell and everyone using it would lose all of their data, and all computers on earth will break, and we go back to playing Jacks and hanging out next to the Soda Fountain.

That's how much I hate Github.

No thanks, I actually despise github, hate it, and wish the company would die out, and burn into hell and everyone using it would lose all of their data, and all computers on earth will break, and we go back to playing Jacks and hanging out next to the Soda Fountain.

That's how much I hate Github.
And where have I mentioned GitHub in any of my posts in this thread?
Git != GitHub

And where have I mentioned GitHub in any of my posts in this thread?
Git != GitHub

Fine, would you like to actually provide a suggestion so I can go test it out, and if it is total shit or if it is good I can give my opinion on it?

Or are you actually talking about https://git-scm.com/.

Fine, would you like to actually provide a suggestion so I can go test it out, and if it is total shit or if it is good I can give my opinion on it?

Or are you actually talking about https://git-scm.com/.
Yes, I've been talking about git, the SCM from the very beginning. And I've never said anything specifically about GitHub. While it(GitHub) has same advantages (like low barrier of entry and it's quite fast for a public site) there are some REALLY bad things about it. I mean things like contributing to the wiki - it's just complete bullshit. There's also NO security on GitHub - if want to, you can easily be a Linus Torvalds imposter, not to mention things that make project management easier like sign offs. As for SCMs themselves - I'm used to git, but I don't mind SVN, it's a little clunky when working with people remotely but it's manageable. And if you want you can try the other SCMs. What I tried to convey is that doing any serious amount of programming work without a SCM is just stupid and asking for trouble. You did a change months ago and now it seems you introduced a bug and don't remember how it used to work previously. You check Dropbox and OOPS, the file history from 6 months before is gone. You're fucked. And sharing is ridiculously easier. Ok, I admit, doing merges and rebases take some getting used to. But once you master these tools you'll NEVER look back to sharing code with your co-contributors via email, Dropbox, FTP, etc.

SCMs (like git) are for people who are organized, who start a 'commit' and finish it all in one go before working on the next commit.

When I did attempt to use an SCM, it actually took as much damn time to manage the god damn SCM than it did to actually do the work. So no, I don't like it, it isn't for me.

Maybe there are people out there who say "Next, I am going to do this". Then they do what they said they were going to do. Then they bug test it, then they commit the code. Then they pull out their handy-dandy To-Do Check List and check that off the list.

But for people like me who don't want the extra work of managing an SCM, I feel dropbox works.

It saves all of your files and backs them up any time you make a change and tells you who made the change. You can view all your previous versions of each file and go back to any version you want. It works for me, and I still suggest it.

(Sorry for being kind of a dick. I don't like being told I am wrong)
Honestly, using a SCM (like git) is what you should do. You should be organized, you should do one task at a time so you can manage the problems easier, etc. That isn't how I work, but that is the way you should work.

But! If you are lazy (which most people here are) use dropbox.
If you are willing to be organized and a decent human being use an SCM.

Last edited:
Back