• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Nutopia - Discussion Thread

nugo

Australia OT Mapper
Solutions
Reaction score
NUTOPIA
COMING TO THE USA 7PM Friday 13th of August (PDT)

What is Nutopia?
Nutopia is a server that i have been working on for a total of 3 years now, the map has been in development on and off for about 9 years. Nutopia is a low rate 5x custom RPG server. I felt that my home country (Australia) was lacking a decent custom OT and set out to make one. I started out on my own and after two years had another two people join my project. Im old school and believe in the values that made OT's popular in the first place. A fun no bullshit MTX server thats custom and was built for fun and thats exactly how i designed my server to be. The map is created by myself with some help from @xsaint who remade the main city and some spawns. A sizable proportion is created from scratch and some is imported assets from other maps. I believe in the core values that made tibia what it was today and as such i didn't touch much of that stuff. The same classes, abilities and spells from normal tibia are their i have just added a lot more support systems around that to spice things up a bit.

I have been thinking about potentially releasing a version of this server in the EU and curious on peoples thoughts on if a server like this would do well in the EU and keen to have a discussion about it. Ill release some information below so people get a good idea of what Nutopia is about.

What client version is the server?
Nutopia's core server is the latest branch of TFS (so 10.98) but uses the latest imported assets from tibia. The current version of the server has 12.4 & 12.6 assets in it. It also uses OTclient.

Where are the best places to play from?
Currently the main server is hosted in Australia so naturally anyone not from australia will have a tough time with ping. Although a US Proxy was added at the start of the last season. We have not tested it under serious load but of the few with did test with it was reported to be perfectly playable ping. Australians have played on US servers since the inception of tibia so if we can do it the US can do it back :p.

How do the seasons work?
Given Australians player base is not huge, max server pop was 66 last season we need to do seasons to revitilise and keep the server interesting. Their is no given time frame for each season its just once the server dies/starts to wind down to small numbers do we wipe the server with a massive update. Currently each season has lasted about 9-11 months and we are currently about to start the 4th season.

How is the server monetized?
I despise predetory PTW microtransations to my core, their will never for as long as i live be a way to convert irl $$ to EXP in game. We do not sell "conviences" either. The first 3 years of the server had no cash shop and all and the server generated no income. I wasnt into making OT's for money but as a hobby that i enjoyed. The 4th season will have a house decoration cash shop to cover some server costs as ive paid out of my own pocket for 3 years now. All my current players can attest to how vocal and persisent i am on never letting any of that bullshit MTX touch my server. Im not in OT's for money.

What game mode is the server? PvP, PvE
Give the size of Australias player base we had to come up with a unique solution to adress the small pop issue. The server is PvP ON by default however it can be toggled off/on with a command on a 2 day cooldown. However to keep things interesting we have made it so when ever you come within 100 squares of a world boss your PVP is forced on without option and only turns off after 3 minutes of leaving the 100 square radius or the boss dies. This option is only like this because of amount fo players in Australia and having a fully PvP server is not sustainable, if i were to host in the EU this could be a different setting.

What Systems does the server have?
As mentioned above i wanted to add some cool stuff that supports the original gameplay of tibia.

Mining
Around the map are nodes that spawn 6 different tiers of ore, they are harvested and used with creature products to add enhancment to weapons and armor through the smiting skill

dcw9Vaz.png

Smithing
You combine harvest ores with flux and creature products to create enchantments to gear.

K3GhrxN.png

Farming
Similar to mining their are 6 tiers of plants out in the world, they can be harveted for raw plant materials and used in the alchmey skill. You also have a chance to aqquire a seed and those seeds can be planted in a player owned purchased plot to be grown and harvested (think harvest moon/stardew valley).

xjGtXKe.png

Alchemy
The plants you gather can be mixed with creature products to make 8 different types of potions at varying effectiveness.

fiOuTf4.png

Bosses/Outfits
Throughout the world are bosses placed deep into spawns, they are on varying re-spawn intervals from 2 hours to a few days. Their are a total of 32 bosses on the map. When killed they open a portal to claim an outfit specific to that boss. These bosses also have acess to rare loot tables. Below is a video of a team of 7 trying to kill one of the harder world bosses.

NKWhYpp.png

Waypoints

The server uses @oen432 waypoint system. As you move further from the main city you can discovery a total of 12 encampments, once discovered you can unlock the waypoint and quick access that encampment later on.

dQF8llQ.png

Elite Monsters
Their is a 1 in 500 chance for a monster to spawn an elite version of itself with 2x HP and 2x Damage, once killed provided you are within the level range of the monster a "energetic bacpack" drops with access to unique and rare loot tables, the loot gets better depending on how strong the elite is.

RrMAr6c.png

Item Enchant System

Every item that a monster drops has a chance to either be a uncommon, rare, epic, legendary or artifact version of its self. Their are also gems evequivilent to those rarities that can be obtained from boss monsters/quest rewards. These gems can be used on an item to enchant it to one of the above mentioned rarities.

JXcCZxk.png

Quests
On the server their are unique and custom quests. We have a fully scripted boss enounter at the end of the servers main quest chain. It has proper boss mechanics that require coordination to complete. We intended to add more of this stuff this season.

AdWXHj0.png

Latest Content

We try to keep the server update with the latest tibia content by releasing new spawns, areas & items that are the most recent version of retail tibia.

xhEv5E1.png

Their are many other sub systems like the acheivement system, task system and the mount collection systems that people can engage in.

What is endgame?
The endgame of the server are raids (big dungeons). Their are a total of 4 raids in the game and can be accessed once every two days. You are given a 2 hour timer to get as fare as you can. The bosses in these raids drop the best items, offer the best mounts and outfits in the game. The raids are typical bosses you see in tibia but have unique abilitys. Below are some screenshots of players doing some of the raids.

VFGrxXX.jpg

ULLvQ5N.jpg

QqMVN59.jpg

What client are we using?
We are using OTclientv8 with bot protection built in and the stonedrake UI.

DuKbplF.png

What about the map?
As mentioned above the map has been made 95% by myself and 5% from others over the course of 9 years. Some assets from other maps have been used and i have also made a considerable amount. Here is the minimap progression.

2011 version
7Svmdd2.png

2021 version

IZASYpd.jpg

LINKS

If you are interested in giving the server a go their is a new season starting on 03/04/2021 3PM AEST. If you live outside of AUS you will experiancing ping issues. If you live close to the west coast of the US you can play on the US proxy with perfectly playable ping. As mentioned above im curious on what people think about me hosting this server in the EU? All feedback welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I 99% of the time ONLY play tibia for PVP, Nutopia had enough content to keep me playing for quite a while.
Unfortunate that the Aussie scene is so dead right now otherwise there would have been enough numbers for PvP and other things.

At least when hosted in America the proxy service was still good enough for Aussies to play, and vice versa (Americans to play when hosted in Aus)
Would be interesting to see this server with a higher population than what it was last season.

To host a server in Australia is a big downer. Unluckily most of us won't be able to play the server smoothly.
However, from a feature perspective it seems promising. Good luck with the project.

Cheers

Nutopia is one of the most fun custom servers I've ever played and I'll absolutely be checking out the new season as a casual player!
If you've ever wanted to kill me, this is where you'll get the opportunity :p

Season 4 has officially began, US proxy avalible to any US people who want to give it a try. Enjoy

My server Nutopia is moving to the US after 3 years of being hosted in AUS. Its been a good run in AUS but every play from aus that was ever going to play it has. Time for a fresh start in a new continent. Discord is were all the communication is handled. The server in the US will release on 7PM Friday 13th of August (PDT). Since this post two new professions have been added (Disenchanting & Enchanting) we have also started adding more scripted quests with scripted boss enocunters.

Server has officialy launched in the US as of 10 minutes ago. Client can be downloaded from website or discord. Come check it out.

Back