• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Nutopia Map Development - Community Request

nugo

Australia OT Mapper
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I am the person who made the Nutopia maps that have been seen on servers over the years, some of you may be familiar with the maps, some may not. Below is a link to the three major release i have done:

[10.98] Nutopia V3 New Release - Original Map - Completed Full Release (https://otland.net/threads/10-98-nutopia-v3-new-release-original-map-completed-full-release.265276/) = 2019
[10.76] Nutopia Original Map (Huge Update 90% Finished) (https://otland.net/threads/10-76-nutopia-original-map-huge-update-90-finished.230977/#post-2226907) = 2015
10.35 Nutopia Original Map (https://otland.net/threads/10-35-nutopia-original-map.228904/#post-2219776) = 2014

Its interesting looking at the development of the map over the last 7 years, i have been adding to the map on and off over the years and have gone back over old areas and changed/revamped them as my skills got better. This map is a combination of freely collected maps from 10 years on the website and 100% original pieces that i have made myself. I would says its a 60/40 at this point of areas i made from scratch and maps downloaded, imported and used in the world where they make sense. Currently the map is at V3.8 with the existing map being hosted on my own server that a small group of people play & test. I release this map every few years when it reaches a new major version and im happy with the quality of the map.

So why the thread?

Essentially i have run out of community maps to add to this project. The map development has slowed down as the pieces i use are developed by myself. The thing i liked about this project is i could create a reasonable sized map in a reasonable amount of time using both community created maps and my own work. Now with minimal maps out there i haven't already looked at or used the map hasn't increased much in size. Im asking the community if they want to contribute to this project by sending me in private (or public) maps they have stored away that arent generally publicly available and dont mind it being used in this project. The maps could be old dis-continued projects from years ago that you dont need anymore. The maps can be small dungeons, large islands or even an entire map, i wont copy paste your entire project ill blend it into my own work as best i can. Ideally the maps would be of version 8.6 and above. This is purely a voluntary thing and i dont intent to profit or make money off your work in anyway, i just enjoy developing Nutopia and any extra resources/maps goes along way. Please support the project if you want to any contribution will be added to map credits and ill leave markers/signs in game if you have added assuming they arent out of place.

Cheers

Nugo

Disclaimer: I host the most recent version of this map on my server of about 10 Australians, the server is there mainly to test my map as i release updates i dont have cash shops and dont profit in anyway from this server, i do it as a hobby. I eventually release Nutopia every few years so what ever i use will eventually become publicly available although in its edited form as it appears on Nutopia. I wont distribute, sell or try to profit from any map sent to me in private/publicly.

Last edited:
I am not sure about this tbh. Imo you should credit people more than just saying "I took some parts from this forum".
So if your motivation is to built up some kind of a "community"-map I would recommend to respect other people works.
That would include credits in details for certrain areas.
But it could also include something like access to your testing server, with high privileges for huge contributers (to access maps without being attacked by monsters).

On the other hand I think this is a very good project, but it would take more than now to convince me to contribute some of my private maps.
Anyways, keep this up for sure. Good luck! :)

I wouldn't say its a community map, i have spent easily 1000 hours on this over the last 7 years, im using existing assets i have found over the years for sure but i still do alot of the work on my own and will continue to do so. I'm pretty picky on what i use.

The issue has been that over the last 10 years i download a map i see and just stick it in a folder then years later get around to using a part of it if its any decent and some of those maps dont have credits in them or i cant even remember who made them so alot of the stuff that was used i legit dont even know who made it. If i see a plaque, or sign someones hidden where they have "made by XX" i leave it in the map. I have to admit i should of done a better job of cataloging who made what over the years but whats done is done i suppose.

The only reason i host it in a server is for some friends to play & for them to test it for me, if it weren't for them i wouldn't even be hosting at all lol i would just dev the map. Thats fine as i said its an open invitation for anyone who wants to have some of there assets put into a free map thats released every few years. Every piece of mapping i have ever done with the exception of a few things is all free and on Nutopia. Any contributed maps will be appropriately credited in map credits and if someone leaves credit signs or w/e in-game ill leave them in assuming they arent super out of place.

Last edited:
I've watched the development of the Nutopia map over the years and spent some time playing it more recently.
The map is huge and has a lot of great content, the fact that many parts have been borrowed from other freely released maps is actually one of the things I really enjoyed about playing it. Frequently I'd be in an area, it would feel familiar, but I couldn't quite work out why at first - and then it would click - I'm standing in what once was a dragon cave from an old server i'd long forgotten!

Back