• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Official OtLand Mapping Contest] August - Carlin Central Plaza Revamp

Which piece are you voting for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
weird but different. Which is a good start on these competitions :p

That's the idea I had when I did this. Wanted to think outside the box and try something entirely different that nobody else would submit. I was right, nobody submitted anything like this. :D
Maybe for a reason? :blink:

I don't get why so many people vote for #1.
It's got grass on roofs (you usually get killed for this by a good amount of members around here) and the richest and poorest shops in town are on the same road (oh well, the poorer shops with the wrecked and patched walls then actually got some overkill items on display...)

It's got grass on roofs (you usually get killed for this by a good amount of members around here) and the richest and poorest shops in town are on the same road (oh well, the poorer shops with the wrecked and patched walls then actually got some overkill items on display...)

Fuck logic. It looks nice and that's why people choose it. Tibia = no logic.

It's moss, not just random grass on roof and those are not poor shops, they are houses, just like in real.

You voted for 3, now thats grass :p

i vote for #1 but #7 came close if he wouldve done some more little things

It's moss, not just random grass on roof and those are not poor shops, they are houses, just like in real.

You voted for 3, now thats grass :p

That's right, #3 got grass on roofs just like my own pieces do, I never said I disliked grass on roofs.
But you aren't telling me that the roofs on the right of #1 don't have grass on them, right? Also, even though they're houses, they still represent small market shops.

In the end it's all about taste though, and I've always had my problems understanding the majority of these forums.

That's right, #3 got grass on roofs just like my own pieces do, I never said I disliked grass on roofs.
But you aren't telling me that the roofs on the right of #1 don't have grass on them, right? Also, even though they're houses, they still represent small market shops.

In the end it's all about taste though, and I've always had my problems understanding the majority of these forums.

As you might know the houses (Shacks) in liberty bay are kinda full of "overkill" items (especially the guildhall) in most servers. The houses are made by one person, the decoration is made by a player. If you want that house who says you wouldn't want to show your best items, even though the house is kinda old looking?

And who knows, maybe the fancy house was built recently whilst the market stalls are older and have been kept? I'm not the one to say how it is but I could imagine a few reasons to why the mixture is as it is. When you build a new house you don't build it next to another new house all the time. There are many places where an old house is demolished to make way for a new one whilst the surrounding houses are still old (reference: real life and courses in architectural history I've attended).

IMO you should mostly stay away from grass on roofs, though this kind of grass is something I haven't seen very often before (since I think this is a Venore sprite?) and could actually work (I at least think they look better than regular grass tufts on roofs).
Also, in the original Carlin the market stalls are made of a different combination of stone walls, old and new (patched, although without grass on the roofs), whilst the bigger building looks much newer.

But as you say, it's all about taste. I don't tell you to like the piece, I just point out a few thoughts on why it might be as it is.

On my vote, I am still undecided but have narrowed down my list. It's either #1 or #6.. I really wish #5 wouldn't have had those boat rudders as light hangers (by which the southern one has the lantern hanging in mid-air). Would've made my decision much easier (I really like the houses on the right, but by principles I do not vote on a rudder used as something else).

As you might know the houses (Shacks) in liberty bay are kinda full of "overkill" items (especially the guildhall) in most servers. The houses are made by one person, the decoration is made by a player. If you want that house who says you wouldn't want to show your best items, even though the house is kinda old looking?

And who knows, maybe the fancy house was built recently whilst the market stalls are older and have been kept? I'm not the one to say how it is but I could imagine a few reasons to why the mixture is as it is. When you build a new house you don't build it next to another new house all the time. There are many places where an old house is demolished to make way for a new one whilst the surrounding houses are still old (reference: real life and courses in architectural history I've attended).

IMO you should mostly stay away from grass on roofs, though this kind of grass is something I haven't seen very often before (since I think this is a Venore sprite?) and could actually work (I at least think they look better than regular grass tufts on roofs).
Also, in the original Carlin the market stalls are made of a different combination of stone walls, old and new (patched, although without grass on the roofs), whilst the bigger building looks much newer.

But as you say, it's all about taste. I don't tell you to like the piece, I just point out a few thoughts on why it might be as it is.

On my vote, I am still undecided but have narrowed down my list. It's either #1 or #6.. I really wish #5 wouldn't have had those boat rudders as light hangers (by which the southern one has the lantern hanging in mid-air). Would've made my decision much easier (I really like the houses on the right, but by principles I do not vote on a rudder used as something else).

Quite and essay but I agree on everything.

Number one was by far the best. I love the new walls and floor.

2 and 6 are the best IMO. 1 is nice too, but I never liked mixed roof and some mossy stuff on the blue roof look misplaced.

I started working on an underground/Dwarf-themed revamp, but it didn't look good for the place.

I liked 5# cause badass horse knows how to sit on the chair..

Congratulations to the winner of August's 2013 contest, Mackan™

hd8v48.png

A lot of nice entries were received this month and unfortunately because of the move to XenForo I have lost my "mapping submissions folder"
which is where I keep your entries so I can remember who submitted what, so I'm going to list this from the top of my head I'm pretty sure they're
100% correct. Again congratulations to Mackan™

Participants were:
1. Mackan™
2. Creon
3. Cvelzquez
4. poopsiedoodle
5. Beto06
6. eiserne festung
7. Beyond Sky

Good luck next month!

Last edited:
Yaay, I'm on a winning streak now!
(Will probably end with this contest as well, haha :D)

Thanks for everyone who voted for my mapping piece! :)
And also thanks to all other contestants for your nice submissions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back