• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Open Tibia Communities?

Extrodus

|| Blazera.net ||
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
OTLand is a staple in the community, but what other boards do we have out there? What happened to OTFans and TibiaFans, what current community reflects those old school forums we used to spend all day on?

@Extrodus - I used to run OpenTibia.net out of both of those domains, but archived the community late-2016 due to a drop in activity.
I kept them around when the forum activity died off, but when the views started to drop too - there wasn't much point.

We were averaging about 5k users per day, but it was significantly less when I looked into users with a session duration of a couple of minutes or more - indicating a lot of the activity weren't actual 'readers' (much less contributors). This was even after we merged the Vapus database into ours to try to consolidate our communities.

I did have some ideas that we got pretty far on - one was creating an OpenID system so you can log into different servers via OpenTibia.net authentication, meaning that users would be more secure (as we had 2FA available as an option) and not pass on their e-mail address, password (which some people reuse...), etc. to server owners. Server owners would benefit from our forum integration, protection from charge-backs if they integrated with our financial system (did you know we sold several thousand dollars worth of Necronia beta keys?), and some other perks. We did succeed in bringing in more of the OT player community - however, without a quality distribution as a draw for a the builder OT user community, it was still hard to grow.

1580040754891.png

If you're looking for other communities, I frequent Tibia King and XTibia to leech maps and scripts - but largely just lurk here :)

On one hand, I'm not a fan of how many members re-post content without cross-linking; but on the other I do like that they essentially stretch OT content to a wider, (predominately) non-English speaking audience. If you want an example of what I mean, compare these two threads:
If you're interested in what I'm doing these days, I'm quietly working on a server as a passion project. It will likely not ever see the light of day, as it's something I do for fun and to stay engaged with the community - it's a bonus if it ever is released.
Map:
As I'm no mapper, I'm 'stitching' together all of the best bits of various maps contributed to various Open Tibia forums, as well as private ones I got my hands on, to generate a new world (mind that I am maintaining a list of credits, so if I ever did release, I'd seek permission accordingly).
I'm about 15% complete surface to sky, and ~5% below ground at present.

1580043220845.png

Tools:
Using a common game planning tool for items, monsters, script, world, etc., but creating templates that allow for easy, bulk export to'ready to use' formats. One of the things I'm using this for is to visual travel routes, etc.

1580042797898.png
1580043053051.png
1580043201800.png

World:
I'm no creative, so I'm blatantly ripping off content, quests, dialogue, etc. from my favourite IPs and retrofitting it to the world (as this project won't be released publicly, I don't really have any moral concerns around this). I'm putting together a bit of a database of common keywords that I want most NPCs to be able to address, conditional to their town, occupation, race, etc. though some will give custom lines.

Last edited:
@STiX I could host those sites again free of charge. In return I just wanna know wtf that monster editor pic is lol

@royalpala, @dami1310 - I put it in a spoiler for those interested, but so as to not hijack this thread - but I appreciate your comments.
I might create a separate thread maintaining my progress and covering some of the workflow if there is interest :)

@STiX I could host those sites again free of charge. In return I just wanna know wtf that monster editor pic is lol
It's not a matter of money, but thanks for the offer.
The program is ArticyDraft, which I use as part of my design, map planning, quest flow, scripting, monster, item, and NPC creation workflows.

Last edited:
@Extrodus - I used to run OpenTibia.net out of both of those domains, but archived the community late-2016 due to a drop in activity.
I kept them around when the forum activity died off, but when the views started to drop too - there wasn't much point.

We were averaging about 5k users per day, but it was significantly less when I looked into users with a session duration of a couple of minutes or more - indicating a lot of the activity weren't actual 'readers' (much less contributors). This was even after we merged the Vapus database into ours to try to consolidate our communities.

I did have some ideas that we got pretty far on - one was creating an OpenID system so you can log into different servers via OpenTibia.net authentication, meaning that users would be more secure (as we had 2FA available as an option) and not pass on their e-mail address, password (which some people reuse...), etc. to server owners. Server owners would benefit from our forum integration, protection from charge-backs if they integrated with our financial system (did you know we sold several thousand dollars worth of Necronia beta keys?), and some other perks. We did succeed in bringing in more of the OT player community - however, without a quality distribution as a draw for a the builder OT user community, it was still hard to grow.

View attachment 41958

If you're looking for other communities, I frequent Tibia King and XTibia to leech maps and scripts - but largely just lurk here :)

On one hand, I'm not a fan of how many members re-post content without cross-linking; but on the other I do like that they essentially stretch OT content to a wider, (predominately) non-English speaking audience. If you want an example of what I mean, compare these two threads:
If you're interested in what I'm doing these days, I'm quietly working on a server as a passion project. It will likely not ever see the light of day, as it's something I do for fun and to stay engaged with the community - it's a bonus if it ever is released.
Map:
As I'm no mapper, I'm 'stitching' together all of the best bits of various maps contributed to various Open Tibia forums, as well as private ones I got my hands on, to generate a new world (mind that I am maintaining a list of credits, so if I ever did release, I'd seek permission accordingly).
I'm about 15% complete surface to sky, and ~5% below ground at present.

View attachment 41963

Tools:
Using a common game planning tool for items, monsters, script, world, etc., but creating templates that allow for easy, bulk export to'ready to use' formats. One of the things I'm using this for is to visual travel routes, etc.

View attachment 41960
View attachment 41961
View attachment 41962

World:
I'm no creative, so I'm blatantly ripping off content, quests, dialogue, etc. from my favourite IPs and retrofitting it to the world (as this project won't be released publicly, I don't really have any moral concerns around this). I'm putting together a bit of a database of common keywords that I want most NPCs to be able to address, conditional to their town, occupation, race, etc. though some will give custom lines.
That tool looks awesome, is it hard to prepare Tibia-themed project?

#topic
About communities, we're trying revive the biggest Polish forum but there is a problem with forum script and database.

@royalpala, @dami1310 - I put it in a spoiler for those interested, but so as to not hijack this thread - but I appreciate your comments.
I might create a separate thread maintaining my progress and covering some of the workflow if there is interest :)

It's not a matter of money, but thanks for the offer.
The program is ArticyDraft, which I use as part of my design, map planning, quest flow, scripting, monster, item, and NPC creation workflows.

Added to the cart! Thank you.

That tool looks awesome, is it hard to prepare Tibia-themed project?
Not hard, but time consuming. If you're doing a big project with all custom monsters, etc. then the time commitment should pay off though.

Out of the gate, you'll want to establish your Features (i.e. template elements) under Template Design, then start to configure your Templates.
This is the easy bit to get you started, but later you'll need to have an external workflow completed to start converting your project's XML output into a format compatible with OpenTibia. I might write a tutorial :)

Added to the cart! Thank you.
Here's a link to a trial, if you're interested. I should mention I have no affiliation with the company other than being a customer.

Last edited:
Back