• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Open Tibia Server for absolute beginners

cordinator

Banned User
Reaction score
GitHub
DavidChoot
Twitch
DavidChoot
YouTube
DavidChoot
Early Note: If you were introduced to Open Tibia by a friend and he explained some stuff about it to you already, then you probably do not need this tutorial. This is for people who stumbled into OTServ without being given the basic information, and of course everyone thinks they're noobs and won't help them when they do ask this basic information.

0 What you should download before starting.
Winrar - this is a compression/decompression tool required to use most OT tools and servers.
[TBC]

1 How to play an Open-Tibia Server
1.1 Required Files
Most Open Tibia servers require two things in order to play them: CIPSoft's Clients and an IP Changer.
CIPSoft's Clients can be downloaded at OTR Downloads, and my personal favorite IP Changer is Asprate's.
Here is a walkthrough on how to use Apsrate's old IP changer, but it's almost exactly the same on his newer one: http://www.tibiafans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63
That'll teach you everything else you need to know in order to connect to an OT Server.

1.2 How do I find Open-Tibia Servers to play?
There are many places to find some servers play. First, you can check our very own Open-Tibia Servers forum, although some of those OTs may no longer be up, plus not many servers are posted there. If you want a list of most actively running OTs, you can try OTServ List or OTVote's Server List.
These lists will supply you with links to their Account Manager/Info sites and required client version, not to mention the all-important IP and Port.

1.3 Making an account
First and only rule with this: never, ever, use your real tibia account and password. You will almost certainly be hacked eventually.
Before you make an account, many servers will have a test account (Acc/Pass as 111111/tibia or 1/1, usually) so that you can get on and decide if it's worth making your own to play. I strongly suggest you do this.
If you decide it is, or a test account is unavailable, then there are usually one of two ways to make an account:
Website Account Manager: Go to the website and try to find an "Account" or "Create Account" or "AAC" or "Acccount Manager" or similar link. Since website account managers vary so greatly, I can't give you a proper tutorial for this.. just read the page and do as it says, and hopefully you'll have your new account in no time. Also, sometimes you will be asked to make a character with your account; but more advanced AACs will require you to make one later.
In-Game Account Manager: These will usually be on the test accounts (Acc/Pass as 111111/tibia or 1/1). The manager will walk you through the account creation process, just follow what it says. Then you'll need to login on your newly created account, and use the account manager on that account (yes, they'll appear on every account) to make your character(s).

2 (Basics)Making Your Own OT
2.1 What to download, and where?
Most servers can be downloaded safely though OTR Downloads. I personally suggest starting with servers for the newest available client version, they'll have the most available features. You'll need to install winrar (mentioned in part 0) in order to use almost any of them, though.

2.2 Explaining what the server contains.
Use Winrar to extract the server files, then open the new folder that appears (or if multiple files appear, dont bother opening anything).
You should notice the following files:
1 Program File. This is the server itself, and you must open the program in order to play your server.
1 file named "config.lua". This is the configuration file. For future reference: to edit it, right click it and choose "Open With...", then choose notepad.
(usually) several .dll files. These are required to run the server, if you do not see them you'll need to download them from somewhere.
(sometimes) several .h and .cpp files. These are the C++ source of the server, and hardly your concern right now. If you plan on becoming an OT Expert, or having the most amazing OT ever, or anything like that.. you'll be needing these later on for certain.
You should also notice at least one folder. If there is more than one, ignore all of them but "data" for now.
Open the data folder. You should see the following folders:
actions: This folder contains configurations and scripts for using items. I will explain how to add more actions to your server later on.
accounts: If you use an XML server, this folder contains all of your account files. The account files are stored as XML files, and can be edited with notepad if you wish.
(8.0+ Only)creaturescripts: this folder contains scripts that are executed when creature-related events occur, such as a monster dying or a player logging out. It's doubtful you'll ever need to use these, but I'll probably explain these later.
items: this folder contains your item data, usually stored in items.xml or items.otb (or on 7.9+ servers, both). chances are you'll practically be an OT expert by the time you need to mess with this, so I won't get into it.
monster: this folder contains your monster configurations. custom monsters are one of the most common things on OTServs, so expect this to be explained later.
(7.9+ Only)movements: this folder contains scripts that are executed whenever a player moves, or when a player equips an item. Although these scripts are probably the most useful, they are rarely used beyond what is already there. I may or may not explain them later.
npc: this folder contains npc configurations and scripts. npcs are a big part of any server, expect me to explain this in detail later.
players: on XML servers, this is where player's data (levels, skills, items) are saved. They can be edited just like accounts, although I'll warn that they're much more complex.
(some 7.6, 7.9+)raids: this folder contains configurations for automated monster raids. this stuff gets pretty dang messy, and aren't used terribly often, so I may not get into this at all.
spells: this contains spell configurations and scripts, including both instant and rune spells. these are the most important scripts after actions, so expect me to get into detail on this later.
(7.9+)talkactions: this folder contains scripts that execute similar to instant spells, which are commonly used to fake commands and such. I probably won't get into this at all.
(7.9+)weapons: this folder contains scripts that execute when a player attacks with a weapon. These can be cool, but work alot like spells, so it is doubtful I'll get into much detail with these later.
world: this folder contains your map and spawns, at least it usually will. It'll also contain your house data, if available.
(rarely)other: occasionally there are additional configurations or scripting features available. As these usually don't exist, and vary so greatly when they do, I won't touch on this at all.
- The files in the data folder are negligable for the moment.

Rep please:)

Agreed, maybe add some pics and highlighting in color more important steps and such. Good work though =)

much reading, to get reputation you have to do something and you really put effort on it.

Back