• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OT Server Proxy

Don Daniello

/root
Staff member
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to start a discussion about Proxies for OT Servers. I've noticed that some popular servers boast having a Proxy available to their players on another continent (e.g. server is in Europe, Proxy in America or the other way around).

Initially, I always discouraged this practice, since going through an extra hop for the connection player<->server is rarely faster than going directly. However, when the intermediary server (proxy) has much better connection to the target server (OTS) and is geographically positioned in the middle, it may decrease the latency to the server.

A proxy may have another use - it may be a DDoS mitigating proxy. That, of course, only works when the final server has an address unknown to the attacker, so that they cannot attack it directly.

Therefore, I am curious what's your take on the topic:
  1. Have you used a proxy provided by the OTS in the past? Did it help?
  2. Would you want major servers to provide a proxy?
  3. Would you (as a server owner) be interested in letting your players use a proxy to connect to your server for smoother gameplay? How important is that to you?

1. Yes I have, surprised how good it actually worked.
2. Yes, that would be nice.
3. Yes, it would be really important for me to give the players a smoother gameplay as possible.

Ive used it too, but I found some way without any client side software

For Australians, using a proxy to connect to services in Europe or USA is highly beneficial (I've seen latency decreases of up to 100ms) - but the real key to it being beneficial is us being in control of it.
There are two major submarine cables out of Australia. The SEA-ME-WE 3 cable out of Perth -> Singapore and the Southern Cross Link from Sydney to Hawaii. (Also the Telstra Endeavour link from Sydney to Hawaii but AFAIK there is no latency benefit from it's existence - only redundancy.)

Both are pretty old, but it's the SEA-ME-WE 3 cable that is worth avoiding. (It is constantly damaged, frequently cut altogether. [AFAIK it's the longest submarine cable in the world])
We can effectively avoid SMW3 by tunneling through Hawaii or even directly to the USA east coast regardless of end destination. Tunneling from Australia, through USA, to and end destination in Europe is generally faster than a direct connection to a Europe server because routing metrics will likely push the connection through SMW3 rather than the Southern Cross Link.
At least that is true for me, worth mentioning that I live IN Perth, so it's not particularly surprising that my connections often go through SMW3.

To directly answer the questions
1.) I've tried them, they do help. Generally I opt to handle the tunnelling myself though as I tend to get better results.
2.) It's a nice-to-have feature, useful for those who don't have alternate proxy services available to them.
3.) I think that players should be able to use a proxy, and this should be made as easy as possible. Ideally this should be configurable in the client and not restricted to a single proxy set up by the server host.

Last edited:
please can you make any tutorial about that so much people need this and waiting for that some one make tutorial for prevent lags.
proxy for america players because they always have lags if ur host is hosted on france!

I am currently prototyping a Proxy service for my OTS Hosting Service.
Servers in America would get a Proxy in Europe and servers in Europe would get a proxy in America.
What do you think?

I am currently prototyping a Proxy service for my OTS Hosting Service.
Servers in America would get a Proxy in Europe and servers in Europe would get a proxy in America.
What do you think?
How have your results been so far? That would be the interesting part :) I have tried using a paid VPN I have to accelerate connection speed to Tibia&OTS but that didn't do much of a difference so what have been your results so far?

How have your results been so far? That would be the interesting part :) I have tried using a paid VPN I have to accelerate connection speed to Tibia&OTS but that didn't do much of a difference so what have been your results so far?
Good question. I don't know yet. I plan to find that out in the open beta period (free) that will provide a Proxy at a chosen location including DDoS protection. It's not ready yet.

Good question. I don't know yet. I plan to find that out in the open beta period (free) that will provide a Proxy at a chosen location including DDoS protection. It's not ready yet.
I might offer additional vps for the testing purpose (proxy) only in all of DigitalOceans locations. Just let me know^^ Got like 90$ credit to spare

I might offer additional vps for the testing purpose (proxy) only in all of DigitalOceans locations. Just let me know^^ Got like 90$ credit to spare
Now they expire after a year. I have over $100 expiring on May 1st :(
I'll post here when the proxy is functional.

Back