• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Otland Android App

Damon

Check my status to contact me :)
Solutions
Reaction score
Just in case someone is interested I've created myself an Otland App for my Android phone (for convenience).

Looks like this:
2pYQZgY.jpg

If anyone wants the apk and @Don Daniello or anyone from staff approves I can share it. I did not code the app though but used a free tool for it which at some point seems to show ads.

Anyway you can get the same look on your phones browser by selecting that very theme but again for convenience I use the app :p

Btw the ads seem only to show up when you want to change something in the apps settings (e.g. theme color).
The actual browsing experience on the Site is ad free as far as I can tell.

Using an app created by a generator may not be safe. You never know what it does in addition to showing ads, which already sucks. Why would you choose to see ads if Otland doesn't have them?
Either way, that generator seems to provide little value if it's just wrapping a website in an "app". Mobile web browsers exist. Using android.webkit and wanting money from ads for that?

@Damon you can use a default WebView template to create this same app without the adds, I believe it comes with the android sdk.

Uhm, isn't just easier/better for everyone to ask for making otland -web- capable? It's only a few lines of code and voila :D

VirusTotal Scan: VirusTotal

Using an app created by a generator may not be safe. You never know what it does in addition to showing ads, which already sucks. Why would you choose to see ads if Otland doesn't have them?
Either way, that generator seems to provide little value if it's just wrapping a website in an "app". Mobile web browsers exist. Using android.webkit and wanting money from ads for that?

As I said you don't choose to see ads. They never appear when you open the app and browse otland. It seems they only do (afaik) when you wanna change change the apps theme (or start adding ads manually).

Yes, I do not know about its safety in detail but it seems like a "legit" free service (which wants to encourage you to place ads and share the revenue) as thousands of apps have been created with it already (youtube videos/tutorials made; blog mentions of the tool), they also offer a game creator (hinting that it really isnt just scam&run) and various app templates. ESET on my phone didnt consider it malicious atleast. Right now it's still asking for phone permission to locate you and access contacts but I already saw in their app editor Interface that this is something that can be unticked (you can choose app permissions), which I did, but apparebtly there site is under maintenance resulting in my changes not having been saved. That being said it works flawlessly if you deny those permissions (which I ofc did; who knows what theyre doing) because obviously they are not needed.

@Colors Otland already is. As I mentioned earlier you just need to switch the theme accordingly (it's the one with the long name). Now if someone wants to go down that way and acctually make the app from scratch using android sdk or a different toolset that's fine, too. As I said I created this app for pure convenience ?(basically for 2 forum communities I am in).

Just inquired and apparently the app doesn't show ads until it reaches 100 installs. So good to go for a bit :p

Last edited:
@Colors Otland already is.

Not really, I just checked it... I'm talking about a web-app like, there's some metatags that can be read by mobile browsers and make the web like a "real" app, with icons, notifications and without showing the navigation bar.

Not really, I just checked it... I'm talking about a web-app like, there's some metatags that can be read by mobile browsers and make the web like a "real" app, with icons, notifications and without showing the navigation bar.

Aight. Gotcha :p

I have a small project in android studio, using webview and some UI tinkering to make it fullscreen + back button etc. No ads and even a tidy "no connection" page using jQuery to reload and try again.

Can adapt to OTLand and release source if anyone interested.

@Damon does exploatation have to happen within the app? What if all saved emails are sold to all available spam lists for example?

@Damon does exploatation have to happen within the app? What if all saved emails are sold to all available spam lists for example?
How would they get your email though if you only used the app for otland? Anyway that's why I said it's a risk everyone else has to decide on. I encrypt my network traffic 24/7 because I don't like people snooping around either.

@slawkens Nice one. Might switch to that one after checking out the code. Guess Id trust an open code more than a company I don't know.

Seems interesting, but honestly it is not something I may look forward to. I've always used a normal browser to login on OTLand and it gives same perspectative as you're viewing on your computer. In my opinion on browser it fits better since you can see more stuff and not just boards and threads. However, I appreciate your dedication on it, congratulations.

If you just want read-only access with low data usage and mobile-friendly OTLand - Mobile friendly. I may add offline mode.
Would be possible to use autocomplete search function for ANY post instead of only which are shown on current page? Good job though.

Seems interesting, but honestly it is not something I may look forward to. I've always used a normal browser to login on OTLand and it gives same perspectative as you're viewing on your computer. In my opinion on browser it fits better since you can see more stuff and not just boards and threads. However, I appreciate your dedication on it, congratulations.

Would be possible to use autocomplete search function for ANY post instead of only which are shown on current page? Good job though.
Its just something I am doing because of the free time I have. I plan to add more cool stuff like user ranking and comparasion between users, forum daily stats, dunno.

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking on how to do searching for threads/posts outside of the current presented ones :rolleyes:

Back