• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Otland Growth

Do you think this would help Otland Grow

• Yes, I think it would be a great idea, I love to learn!

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No, I think its a terrible idea

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I really don't care because copying & pasting has always worked for me!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

bayview

Banned User
Solutions
Reaction score
I recall back in 2008 when I 1st learned of this website people shared code & ideas, it wasn't about money & the majority of us didn't really know much about programming anyway. But for those that did or those that had a little knowledge we would be wowed by some of their bloated error prone redundant coding..

Today it isn't really like that people are less likely to share, I am not saying that people don't but it isn't as frequent or its an update or their spin on an old source. Plus there are less people with knowledge of coding.

I think the problem is not necessarily greed i think the real problem here is lack of learning materials. I believe if we had an in-house tutorial & interpreter that taught people lua along side the TFS framework you would see a reasonable influx of new developers or developers in the making.

Today's technology and hardware is a lot more advanced than it was 10 years ago. If you could picture a character on screen in the standard x & y dimensions of the client that sits above the coding window similar to what you would see on code academy & sites like it. When you execute the code from the exercise it would reflect in the window above.

This would allow people to test their knowledge right on the site and reach out for help in support when they get stuck.. you might even eliminate the request boards altogether.

I've seen integrated compilers & interpreters on other sites so it's not like I am talking about something that has yet to be invented.

@Mark @Don Daniello @everyone else :)

Seeking for attention everywhere, all the time. That's what you are.

If someone wants to copy paste and not learn, it's their problem and all you can do is ignore after offering them to learn but why keep insisting? It's none of your business. Just because you have certain experience, offer bunch of free scripts, tutorials and few hints doesn't mean you have to teach the whole community how to code LUA. And also, it doesn't depend on Don Daniello or Mark, the fact you always involve them into new drama.

Nevertheless, if you're not happy with OTLand or its community, just move on and create your own Open Tibia Forums as others did and failed.

Seeking for attention everywhere, all the time. That's what you are.

If someone wants to copy paste and not learn, it's their problem and all you can do is ignore after offering them to learn but why keep insisting? It's none of your business. Just because you have certain experience, offer bunch of free scripts, tutorials and few hints doesn't mean you have to teach the whole community how to code LUA. And also, it doesn't depend on Don Daniello or Mark, the fact you always involve them into new drama.

Nevertheless, if you're not happy with OTLand or its community, just move on and create your own Open Tibia Forums as others did and failed.
Why are your responses to anything positive always negative?

I agree with that, people who want to learn can do it as we did, no is necesary a tutorial extensive in otland.
enough with all the content there is, and the what missing

This is an idea we had a while ago to create a comprehensive Quickstart guide, for people who don't necessarily have any experience with any technology related to OT. We started this in a form of a "GitBook" and the associated repository is here: otland/docs
You are all free to contribute if you wish.

Learning materials are never too much.
It's a good idea, basically like any other idea containing learning resource.
I'm still new, I created an account a few years ago (I do not know why). But here I came back and I know why.
I have been creating my project for several months, I try to help in the "Support" section as much as I can.
Although I did not have any knowledge when coming here. I've learned everything here, and in fact, you can find a lot of needed things here to create a own project.
The problem is also on the other side, people want everything to be ready to use(copy/paste), they do not want to think, to combine, to look for solutions, to test, etc.

A lot of scripts that I've seen here are sometimes simply overdone. You can write them simpler by avoid complicated commands. That's what I do in my project.

I will try to publish a guide on how to do it. For beginners, just like me it will be easier to join the world of creating :D

Back