• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[OtLand Official Mapping Competition] [S2] - May Voting Thread

Which of the submissions do you think is the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostX

Mapping Board Moderator
Staff member
Board Moderator
Reaction score
Twitch
ghostxpr0
Untitled.png
Welcome back to a new season of the official OTland Mapping Competitions.

VOTING STAGE: May - "Harbour"

The entrants shall remain anonymous until the voting stage has concluded.

Remember: The prize for the winner of the competition will receive 3-months free premium on OtLand.

It is worth noting that there is now a league system that is tracking the points of the top 3 from each competition. At the end of a "season", the winner will receive an additional prize! Stay tuned. More details and current standings as well as a more detailed account of the rules can be found here: Hall of Fame | Rules | F.A.Qs
Rules:
  • You MUST NOT vote for yourself
  • You MUST NOT entice others to vote for your entry
  • You MUST only vote once. Anyone found using multiple accounts to vote will have all of their votes discounted. If an entrant decides to violate this rule, they will be banned indefinitely from the competitions and have their entry disqualified.
  • You MUST NOT inform, hint or otherwise let any other members know which entry is yours (until the winner is revealed obviously)
  • You MUST NOT insult or "flame" anyone, their maps or their comments
  • Please vote for the entry that best suits the theme of the competition (in this case; the theme is "Harbour")
  • If you know who mapped what just by style, do not post saying who it is. You will receive an infraction for doing so.
  • If you wish to change your vote, please comment below and this will be accounted for once the voting stage has concluded. You should now be able to change your vote yourself

Disqualifications:

Vote Changes: I've allowed it so you can change your vote yourself now
However, you cannot see the results until you vote, alleviating some bias initially, i.e. If you wanted to sit on the fence and try to balance the votes.

[1.] @Ascuas Funkeln [JOINT 3RD]
Entry 1.1.png Entry 1.2.png

[2.] @AundSoul [2ND PLACE]
Entry 2.1.png Entry 2.2.png

[3.] @Ralumbi
Entry 3.1.png Entry 3.2.png

[4.] @Mackan™
Entry 4.1.pngEntry 4.2.png

[5.]@2Rec [JOINT 3RD PLACE]
Entry 5.1.png Entry 5.2.png

[6.] @Blackstone [1ST PLACE]
Entry 6.1.pngEntry 6.2.png

There are some really good entries! Well done & good luck! :)

Last edited:
I wish I could see more of the number 1, its seems that the mapping is nice but the darkness and blurry image gives me headache, so my vote went to number 6 :confused:

My vote goes to 6.
I think it looks the most as Harbor at small city or fisherman village, would love to see someone mapping it with just old sprites, sadly they are limiting factor for great creations

Last edited:
In the future it would be nice to include a link to the sign up thread for easy access to the inspiration pictures.
  1. Entry 1 is to dark and I would of liked to have seen more of the harbor. From what is visible it does look nice. A harbor is so big and intricate it really would be nice to see more of all of the entries.
  2. Entry 2 gets my vote this time around. Though I do find it odd to see books on the bow of the ship in image two. I guess a merchant or pirate's son left his school books out while playing on his dad's ship. 👍
  3. Entry 3 I'm not sure where the farm land came from!?!? 😖

1. It looks decent, easy to play on.
2. It looks detailed, and elements are connected well but would be really hard to play on because of complexity.
3. It's a nice beginner project, keep it up.
4. I like connections, colors, and details. Great connection between design and gameplay.
5. It also looks promising; however, we can see only the simplest places. I think this has a lot of potentials.
6. For me it's fine, but color and nature connections are not the best.

My final vote: Number 4
(a little bit surprised of your votes, but maybe it's because of my UX background, where I also look on the usability, not only on the visual aspects)

1. Two images but basically the same thing, :(
  2. Probably a lot of effort but for me its too much.
  3. Definietely needs more details.
  4. My choice, great buildings, ship and "water".
  5. That's also a very good piece, thumb up for crane idea, the only thing that I dislike here is a theme. I prefer theme from 4, 5 looks like dark fantasy port which I just dont like.
  6. Very cool mapping, but I would like to see a harbour without those sand parts.

Great submissions overall! well done everyone!

Its not often you hear me say it but with the blurry pictures and stuff its to dark.. also dont think the darkness fits the theme to be honest.
But the mapping looks decent, would love for one of the pictures to be a bit different then the other tho.
a bit too messy for my taste, to much going on.. but its still really good i think, very creative use of sprites and thats a plus for sure.
Im sorry but older clients just look so much more boring because you dont have all the sprites to decorate and make the map come alive comparing older client vs newer ones, the newer will always win in my case.. ignoring the other submission and seeing only this one for what it is, i kind of like the first picture even if it does not really fit the theme.. i dunno, something about wheat fields that i really like.
lovely! the boat in the first picture is beautiful and the choice of sprites.. spot on! this might get my vote! really liked this one, it has this moody feeling without being too dark like the first entry.
would like to see some more love to the roofs tho.
Looks real dope! Love what the person did with the water borders near walls, its a nice touch.. will most likely use it in my own mapping at some point.
mixing of walls looks a bit wierd and i think maybe you would just be better off useing the darker ones to be honest.
love the crane idea, would like to see atleast one small boat on the second image but hey cant get everything right ;)
Looks super nice! first image is amazing! second one is good but not as good in my opinion.. great mapping tho!

to be honest i dont know what to vote for 4 , 5 or 6.. my vote will most likely go to 4 just because i really like the feeling it gives. but at the same time 5 is the most worked map i think, just that i dont really agree with some choice of style.
and 6 is amazing to, the only thing that bothers me is that you are going up the stairs to the dock.. would like too see the whole city some floors up and then go down to the docks..

Well done everyone who joined and sent in their piece! i started doing something but then i just did not have the motivation and time to actually follow up on it and then i missed the sign up deadline haha oh well, maybe next time!

Both #2 and #6 are good.

#1 is the only one that actually nails the elevation realities of a port big enough for a merchant trading vessel. (You fall off a gangplank, its gonna be 24ft before you hit the water. Minimum.) However both shots are pretty much the same frame...moving 2 squares isn't a new show bro.

#6 gets my vote only by a hair. Had there been a crab on that sand, it would have been without hesitation.

Won't vote, I have to agree with @Neon's point on this one, you just cannot appreciate the piece

Congratulations to @Blackstone for winning this months contest! Will update the thread with the entry creators

@Habdel "championship" or lets say "Season" is still going on until a certain amount of competitions were hold.

Yet there need to be another competition to be hold besides the first this season that took place in May.
I personally would love to have a competition by next month but the Otland Staff members need to officially announce/plan something. @GhostX
I remember @Kaspar bringing something up, he might also be up to hosting the next. (I didn't like the "freestyle" choice though, there should be a theme given)

It's up to you guys what kind of theme you want. I could hop in and host a competition for this month. Deadlines might be shorter but we definitely have time left in August.
Feel free to comment on what theme you would like to see/map.

Locking this thread since it's an old sign up thread.
Let's brainstorm some themes meanwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back