• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[OtLand Official Mapping Competition] [S2] - November Sign Up

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without reference for evaluation, people will vote only on what pleases their eyes... then we will see many maps of bridges and waterfalls

This topic can be called [Quick Showoff] Post your latest maps!
I kinda agree but on the other hand I'd love to see many bridges and waterfalls. So I don't mind tbh. This is an experiment, lets give it a chance,
You could also make an argument to vote for what is the best execution without or the least bugs /mess ups and finally go deeper into technical analyses rather than light effects.

Cheers

Without reference for evaluation, people will vote only on what pleases their eyes... then we will see many maps of bridges and waterfalls

This topic can be called [Quick Showoff] Post your latest maps!
I can see where you come from, but I completely disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with voting on what pleases one's eyes. That's a big part of this competition actually. Freestyle is actually a topic that has been around, and is still around in a lot of sports and competitions. Dancing freestyle, rapping freestyle, martial arts freestyle, freestyle art competitions... etc etc. It allows one to use everything that they have learned about their profession/hobby, and create with free hands, whatever their creativity allows them. It is a hard topic to engage in, that's for sure. But to call it lazy or whatnot - is just blatantly wrong. I would say it's the opposite actually.

It might be a coincidence as well, but we have 12 people that signed up for this competition. That's a lot of people.
I am eager to see everyone's entries.
If you are not happy with this month's topic, then you can wait until next month to compete. I would also suggest you to drop a suggestion of what topic you'd like to see in the upcoming contests, if you haven't already.

Just a reminder: "For this competition, up to 2 images are allowed [...]".
Meaning that you can submit two different pictures if you'd like (not a requirement).

My only concern with allowing custom sprites is it presents a direct unfair advantage for some. It also, retracts from voting on the map itself as people would essentially be voting on the sprites too.

Maybe allowing transparent water in a future competition would be fine but opening up to custom sprites gives people that unfair advantage.. It's like a race but some participants can use a Ferrari and some are given a Vauxhall Corsa.. xD
Why not supply the .spr file for each competition? Then custom sprites could be used, but every competitor would have access to the same ones.

Also, the rules for this specific competition limits it to the "vanilla" .spr file, but which .spr file is considered the "vanilla" one? 7.6? 8.6? 10.98? Could someone convert the current 12.52 sprite sheets to be RME compatible and still submit an entry because they're technically using "vanilla" CipSoft sprites? In that case, those without the ability, or access, to do that are at a disadvantage.

Why not supply the .spr file for each competition? Then custom sprites could be used, but every competitor would have access to the same ones.

Also, the rules for this specific competition limits it to the "vanilla" .spr file, but which .spr file is considered the "vanilla" one? 7.6? 8.6? 10.98? Could someone convert the current 12.52 sprite sheets to be RME compatible and still submit an entry because they're technically using "vanilla" CipSoft sprites? In that case, those without the ability, or access, to do that are at a disadvantage.
Any vanilla version is fine as of now. If you know how to use the newest just do it. You must draw a line somewhere.
Even though there were custom sprites distributed in form of an .spr file I would chose to rather not sign up. Even though it's a fair solution.

Allowing custom sprites in general is a huge disadvantage because you could basically buy your victory by hiring the best spriters or if others simply do not know how to add them to the client. That's the unfair part. But let's just debate about that topic. :)

Last edited:
ppl be mad already losing without giving it a shot

The issue with custom sprites (like I said), would provide critique on the sprites itself rather than the map itself. If it is vanilla, it keeps it standardised.. No point distributing a custom spr.. It's not required. It also allows us to know what sprites are from where. If we were to provide a spr pack, people could sneak sprites in without us knowing and it would take us too much time to check back.

Transparent water may be an exception down the line as this is merely an edit that everyone can do. But for now, vanilla spr packs

I'll take a swing here, been working so much lately, I don't have much time for much else.

IF I happen to win or whatever, you can give the Premim Subscription to #2 or something

Last edited:
@Kaspar Please make sure you can post enough images at once or prepare a quick double post. I thought there was a maximum of images in one post. And also if you can put up more than 10 options for a poll. :)
If everyone is going to join this is going to be huge.

@Kaspar Please make sure you can post enough images at once or prepare a quick double post. I thought there was a maximum of images in one post. And also if you can put up more than 10 options for a poll. :)
If everyone is going to join this is going to be huge.
Thanks for the heads up!

@AundSoul This is going to be an interesting competition nonetheless. Nothing wrong with a freestyle competition, it's one month. You can practically guarantee Decembers to be something christmas/winter inspired. So let's just see what some people create with a freestyle round.
You probably aren't wrong, waterfalls and bridges will almost definitely be a thing, however, if that's what pleases people this round then that is who they should vote for. Obviously my opinion here might be biased as I have always leaned toward mapping nature areas such as mountains and waterfalls 😂 I see there's a few of us oldies in the running, Good luck to everyone participating

You can always lock the thread when posting and post another post with additional images anyway if that were an issue, and afaik, 15 is the limit on polls - We've never really had more than 15 submit so if that happens.. We should be able to adjust the limit.

This time I will make a segmented map. The first part is ready but I still have to do what is "north" of it. I'm really enjoying the result and this time I even dared to do a little more Nature that I don't usually focus on. I look forward to seeing the other submissions. Good luck to everyone!

We've received 11 submissions so far. And I've got to say that each and every submission looks stunning.
This contest is gonna be a real tough one for people to vote on. Amazing pieces.

For the current 9 remaining contestants, remember that the deadline is this Sunday.
Can't wait to see your submissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back