• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OTS (RPG?)

Steve Albert

Banned User
Solutions
Reaction score
Why are these servers referred to as rpg's all the advertisements ever talk about is several different types of systems, skill/xp rates and varying vocations that all seem to be the same. I've played some online rpg's before and none of these servers resemble what an rpg is. These servers are more like login level up & kill every monster and player you come into contact with. Then there is the donating; in game money or donation currency, over powered equipment & spells or just special perks like double xp, increased mana or health regen, travel by teleport instead of walking.

What is missing from these servers is a story. Lore, background on the vocations the creatures and the world as a whole, how it came to be and what ties it all together. The best part about an rpg aside from the plot is the discovery and exploration.

That is the sort of game I would gladly spend money on.

Totally agree, most of the servers are being hosted by new and unexperimented tibia players..
I remember the old times where 7.6/8.6 servers were being hosted there were more variations on the type of servers
I used to play.

Now the servers are come and play the same thing but hosted by someone else, and pay me for my small work.
Not all tho, most of the goods servers are being developed still, and will take lots to finish their development.
Which is sad:(

Not trying to advertise my own project, but we are nearly finished with everything story mode, bug fixes, futher improvements etc. :).

The issue is almost all 'rpg systems' are shared here.. so the difference between a 'rpg' server and other servers becomes smaller..
Not to mention ideas that gets stolen ofcourse..

It seems that the term RPG has been watered down over the years. There are a few server that still hold true to the RPG meaning, but many do not. My guess is that it's more of a click-bait or they simply don't understand what an RPG server truly is and label it as an RPG to attract more players.

RPG servers aren't really what they used to be. OTS have evolved and changed so much over the years; for better and worse. I also noticed that the attention span of most players has diminished greatly. Probably due to daily usage of smartphones. I myself am an example as there are so many aspects of a server that I enjoyed years ago that I don't seem to have the attention span for anymore. This means most players are lazy and need that quick burst of fun and action, hence why you have travel by teleport instead of walking, overpowered equipment/spells, etc..

Not many would enjoy or bother with lore on a server because I've seen some awesome lore on a few servers and none really cared about it. All they cared about was killing that monster, or getting that op item, but the lore didn't interest them. Having lore on a server doesn't give players that awesome feeling as opposed to killing unique monsters or getting a crazy op item. I think this could be fixed by rewarding players if they read and learn about the lore and discover what the server has to offer. Ruthless Chaos is an excellent example of a true RPG server and it's in the top 3 of all server I have ever played.

Good lore takes a huge amount of time and you need someone who is creative enough to make a compelling story-line and sadly there aren't a lot of people like that left. Many times when you see lore on a server it's created by someone who cherishes OTS and develops as a hobby or for fun. Their goal is to create a real RPG server for what turns out to be a small community of players. Those are usually the most pure and real OTS out there.

In essence lore doesn't attract that many people since the player base who enjoys it isn't a huge anymore. Most developers are just looking to make money in short or long term (regardless of their excuses I guarantee this is true) so they don't give a shit about lore. They will add op donations, loot-boxes, quick based actions and features to fulfill the dopamine rush for people playing on their server. They know adding lore won't do much so they go for the cheap tactics that will generate a huge crowd of players. Why spend all that time to add some pointless lore that no one will care about when they could be adding more exciting features that they know players will love. Of course this isn't the case for all servers, as some have everything you mentioned and lore to follow up, but lore is definitely not a priority for 99% of OTS.

Ruthless Chaos would be your best bet for a true RPG server. Problem is that it's currently down and they have been working on season 5 for a while. They have busy lives and work on it when they have the time, as it's more of a hobby for their love of Tibia. It's been a while since they've updated us but I'm sure they will eventually give us some updates and a hopefully a future release of season 5.

Back