OTServ in other programming languages.

tokenzz

:thinking:
Reaction score
Java can do same btw. you can easily call java classes to be "compiled" during run. And have them be responsible for scripts, chat handling and such with ability to reload them during runtime.
reflection is powerful but can be unsafe if done improperly. This discussion is not gonna lead anywhere though since there is no "best programming language", just the right tool for the right purpose. With a simple google, you can probably find thousands of people sharing their opinions of which tool is the best.

I don't agree with some people in this thread claiming that "Java will bottleneck when you reach networking". This is just one of the indications of someone who hasn't used Java for anything in particular and lives after the spirit that c++ is the best language. When you actually want to use C or C++ for networking, it usually comes down to low-level things that a high-level language like Java can't do, for example drivers.

I'd also like to point out that I'm no Java-fanboy, i'm just giving it a fair chance as people do tend to hate on it without any factual evidence or without any particular experience. They just tend to follow the norm.

Last edited:
OP
LooSik

LooSik

Reaction score
Loosik? Will you ever get back to Eloth :/ Please
Atleast host it for nostalgia, if you add paypal donations i can giev you to pay host
That is kinda a long-term plan. Will take a while to finish the server. Working on combat system at the moment. eloth.org has overall progress and on forums, which is just took up again, there is a bit more detail on it :)

reflection is powerful but can be unsafe if done improperly. This discussion is not gonna lead anywhere though since there is no "best programming language", just the right tool for the right purpose. With a simple google, you can probably find thousands of people sharing their opinions of which tool is the best.

I don't agree with some people in this thread claiming that "Java will bottleneck when you reach networking". This is just one of the indications of someone who hasn't used Java for anything in particular and lives after the spirit that c++ is the best language. When you actually want to use C or C++ for networking, it usually comes down to low-level things that a high-level language like Java can't do, for example drivers.

I'd also like to point out that I'm no Java-fanboy, i'm just giving it a fair chance as people do tend to hate on it without any factual evidence or without any particular experience. They just tend to follow the norm.
Indeed. That's why I'm using something that I know works well, and re-used the same "core" for bunch of other projects. In terms of threading, networking and reflections. Will be interesting to see whatever my approach with networking will work well tho. Because instead of auto-send packets on intervals I'm sending packets as they're needed. Which might lead to a bigger amount of small packets rather than few big ones. There are some optimizations I've made in terms of grouping packets ( ie. one tile effect packet for spell rather than few smaller ones ). Will have to do some networking tests later on.

downloadnow

a.k.a BurnMc
Reaction score
I've been working on a private project in C#, mainly cause it's my main programming language for years, and I use this as an excersise to apply design patterns and practice asyncronous programming. Task Parallel Library is a blessing :)

Also I have all the Microsoft stack for free (including free hosting on Azure) as long as I remain in the company, so yeah C# and Azure is my roadmap.

Neorisen

Reaction score
PyOT would be much nicer if it was more pythonic and not just a translation of TFS (mostly). I want to see it progressing.
More 'pythonic'? :D What does it even means?
I'd love to see OT server running on PyOT :D wish I could help in this project : (

messenoire

Reaction score
I'd love to see OT server running on PyOT :D wish I could help in this project : (
"Pythonic means code that doesn't just get the syntax right but that follows the conventions of the Python community and uses the language in the way it is intended to be used." - some dude on stackoverflow

It's actually a somewhat commonly used word amongst developers and alike

whitevo

Feeling good, thats what I do.
Reaction score
Javascript and webGL, in my opion would bring the coolest OTServ
Very high performance + in the web.

Lordfire

aka ranisalt
Reaction score
More pythonic means using Python idioms, such as lazy iterators/generators, duck typing, high order functions, and even asyncio with Python 3.5. Python syntax has it's own purpose and we don't gain anything by not using it.

e.e

Divine Intellect
Reaction score
I've been working recently on a new OT in Python that I've lazily named PyOT2.
PyOT2 (private project, open to trade code/release project for contributions 1:1)
Only code I've actually used from the original PyOT codebase is their XTEA encryption/decryption (slightly optimized) since most of the original PyOT's codebase is deprecated among many other problems, and even this is likely to be replaced in the future.
I was hoping LooSik was still around for a chat, but looks like he hasn't been around in over a year :(
If anyone are interested in a chat I'm available on discord and sometimes in PMs.

That aside, anyone else still actively working on an OTS project in a different language?

Syntax

Developer
Reaction score
You can do the same with TypeScript. The engine I'm making will be in TypeScript but the datapack will be scripted in js so it doesnt need to be transpiled.
Just write everything in TypeScript and run in denoland/deno without transpiling to JS

Under Influence

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
I've been working recently on a new OT in Python that I've lazily named PyOT2.
PyOT2 (private project, open to trade code/release project for contributions 1:1)
Only code I've actually used from the original PyOT codebase is their XTEA encryption/decryption (slightly optimized) since most of the original PyOT's codebase is deprecated among many other problems, and even this is likely to be replaced in the future.
I was hoping LooSik was still around for a chat, but looks like he hasn't been around in over a year :(
If anyone are interested in a chat I'm available on discord and sometimes in PMs.

That aside, anyone else still actively working on an OTS project in a different language?
Not exactly OTS, I was making a HTML5/Node.JS game based on Tibia that you can play in your browser, but I got no time to do it alone and there is so many optimization things I don't understand: demo -
and then I moved to this map project: [7.6] All premium account dungeons in Tibia mainland ,

I'm thinking of restarting the development of the game