• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

overflow

How is it for a first timer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be honest, Iv seen worse first mapping pieces, so good job, But I would remove the flames, beer barrel, and skeleton, along with the switches and the dry grass walls.

A tip: Use raw-palette. It's better to get used to it right from the start, since you'll probably use it later when you've gotten a grip on mapping.

started to use it atm :p haha mostly using the command CTRL J and finding what i want :D

Cool! It looks like you have an okay understanding of the layout of maps, but there's some work that needs to be done when it comes to bordering and detailing. For the shop, the first thing I noticed when looking at the image was this:

L74Micp.png

You always want to avoid using sprites (borders, in particular) that create this sharp edge. In general, there are always other options that work without the downside of the sharp edges. These are a possible replacement:

wTUyv6t.png

The second thing that drew my attention was the bordering. It is clear that you're using the autoborder tool, which is perfectly fine if your aim isn't to create a showoff piece (having said that, most of the seasoned mappers tend to only use RAW as far as I'm aware). However, even if you should choose to stick to the autoborder option, there are a few things to keep in mind.

You should for the most part stay away from using the thick borders between grass and cobblestone or any other city-like ground tile. I tend to mostly use the thick grass border when bordering between grass and dirt, while more or less always sticking to the thinner ones when bordering between grass and city-like tiles.

(green arrows point at thick borders, blue arrows at thin borders)
W9QIPjq.png

Continuing on the borders and tiles, I don't like the mix between the pavement and that rock soil. If I were you, I'd get rid of it and just keep the grass and pavement. Your placement of grass tiles is also a bit unusual. As a rule of thumb, try to avoid using smaller patches of grass like these:

198jkfc.png

I don't feel like writing up any more suggestions right now, but these should at least make you aware of some of the areas where you can improve! :)

Finally, here's my take on your image. I hope that this helps you visualize the changes I've suggested :p

hz5bQAB.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-4_15-9-51.png
    upload_2014-11-4_15-9-51.png
    532.2 KB · Views: 4 · VirusTotal
Cool! It looks like you have an okay understanding of the layout of maps, but there's some work that needs to be done when it comes to bordering and detailing. For the shop, the first thing I noticed when looking at the image was this:

L74Micp.png

You always want to avoid using sprites (borders, in particular) that create this sharp edge. In general, there are always other options that work without the downside of the sharp edges. These are a possible replacement:

wTUyv6t.png

The second thing that drew my attention was the bordering. It is clear that you're using the autoborder tool, which is perfectly fine if your aim isn't to create a showoff piece (having said that, most of the seasoned mappers tend to only use RAW as far as I'm aware). However, even if you should choose to stick to the autoborder option, there are a few things to keep in mind.

You should for the most part stay away from using the thick borders between grass and cobblestone or any other city-like ground tile. I tend to mostly use the thick grass border when bordering between grass and dirt, while more or less always sticking to the thinner ones when bordering between grass and city-like tiles.

(green arrows point at thick borders, blue arrows at thin borders)
W9QIPjq.png

Continuing on the borders and tiles, I don't like the mix between the pavement and that rock soil. If I were you, I'd get rid of it and just keep the grass and pavement. Your placement of grass tiles is also a bit unusual. As a rule of thumb, try to avoid using smaller patches of grass like these:

198jkfc.png

I don't feel like writing up any more suggestions right now, but these should at least make you aware of some of the areas where you can improve! :)

Finally, here's my take on your image. I hope that this helps you visualize the changes I've suggested :p

hz5bQAB.png
in the remake last picture how did u do the garden inside the building....

It for ver. 8.6, but if u use other clinet u can use other boarders
fFuosmP.png

by PAINT !! :)

I highly suggest that you think logically when you map and don't just put random "cool" sprites everywhere like the fires, the barrels and a coffin inside the temple. A temple is a holy place, what would fit inside a holy place? An angel, a monument, decorative pillars etc. Basically think about how and where you place stuff.

And think about the size of the buildings you are making. Like the magic shop with the fountain where the counter takes up almost half the store. Why would a vendor need so much space to walk around in?

Back