• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OVH are messing up?

S

Shadow_

Hey,
Most of us uses ovh as a known servers company and ranked as the third world wide, but am i the only one who thinks they are really messing up with their systems since the fire started on of their datacenters, in the last month my dedicated server has been unreachable by 25% of the world, even people had the same problem with sites like otservlist, archlight and other servers, it happens on europe servers alot, mainly for people from poland/sweden/middle east

Hey,
Most of us uses ovh as a known servers company and ranked as the third world wide, but am i the only one who thinks they are really messing up with their systems since the fire started on of their datacenters, in the last month my dedicated server has been unreachable by 25% of the world, even people had the same problem with sites like otservlist, archlight and other servers, it happens on europe servers alot, mainly for people from poland/sweden/middle east
Have you sent them an issue ticket? i had the same feeling & experience with my server and sent them an email and now it looks fine.

Have you sent them an issue ticket? i had the same feeling & experience with my server and sent them an email and now it looks fine.
I sent 3 times, they always reply with "We don't understand we would like you to offer more info" OR "Please provide as with those logs DO XYZ" OR "Everything is working fine we had no issues connecting to your server" and they always reply once everybody can connect which pisses me off because they are not handling it even in the acceptable way

I sent 3 times, they always reply with "We don't understand we would like you to offer more info" OR "Please provide as with those logs DO XYZ" OR "Everything is working fine we had no issues connecting to your server" and they always reply once everybody can connect which pisses me off because they are not handling it even in the acceptable way
i agree i had to send them 14 messages i saw now o_O

Last week I made the call to migrate Dura-Online out of their Vint Hill datacenter due to intermittent network issues.
For now I have moved to their BHS datacenter and it is performing much better.

Note: I spent hours with their "support team", "network team" and "escalation team" trying to identify whatever the issue was - pretty much a waste of time.

Paying over 350 EUR/mo for business support which is not worth it at all. They reply within short time with stuff like „We will try to find out if that is possible“, etc. And next reply takes like 2 weeks. Their support is so freaking bad thats incredible.

Last edited:
Since this got bumped anyway, I'll give an update of my experience with OVH recently:

- Originally hosted in their Vint Hill, Virginia datacenter - Network stable for many months but then got unacceptably bad - no solution or resolution from support - worked with their support/network/escalation team for weeks of time wasting.

- Temporarily migrated to their BHS, Canada datacenter - Network stable for approximately 1 week but then got unacceptably bad - didn't bother contacting support this time.

- Migrated back to Vint Hill datacenter - Network has been stable for approximately 1 week now, but my trust in OVH has fallen to 0. The poor performance of their network has a huge impact on player satisfaction and retention.

I shopped around for alternate providers that can offer a comparatively high level of DDoS mitigation and have signed on with one now and configured the new dedi. I will migrate there the moment OVH fails us again. New service is in Equinix NY datacenter. I am very keen to drop OVH entirely.

Everyone knows OVH sucks.
And everyone should be ditching those stone age machines now anyways, they're ALL going to shit. Not even triple A games are holding steady fps and ping because of them.

Since this got bumped anyway, I'll give an update of my experience with OVH recently:

- Originally hosted in their Vint Hill, Virginia datacenter - Network stable for many months but then got unacceptably bad - no solution or resolution from support - worked with their support/network/escalation team for weeks of time wasting.

- Temporarily migrated to their BHS, Canada datacenter - Network stable for approximately 1 week but then got unacceptably bad - didn't bother contacting support this time.

- Migrated back to Vint Hill datacenter - Network has been stable for approximately 1 week now, but my trust in OVH has fallen to 0. The poor performance of their network has a huge impact on player satisfaction and retention.

I shopped around for alternate providers that can offer a comparatively high level of DDoS mitigation and have signed on with one now and configured the new dedi. I will migrate there the moment OVH fails us again. New service is in Equinix NY datacenter. I am very keen to drop OVH entirely.
But how expensive Equinix NY is? OVH had decent dedicated machines with great ddos protection for an affordable price which allowed us OT owners/developers to stay online.

But how expensive Equinix NY is? OVH had decent dedicated machines with great ddos protection for an affordable price which allowed us OT owners/developers to stay online.

This is true, but I think where people go wrong is paying for hardware and port speed that they don't really need.

You only really need about 1mbps per 100 players, so paying for 1gbps or more from a better provider is likely just wasting your money. Not to mention if you speak to the provider you'll probably find that even if you're paying for a 100mbit port you are actually on a shared 10gbit port and they're not going to care if you burst into it occasionally - they'll just ask you to upgrade if you're often or consistently above your allocation.

To answer the question though - yeah the provider I am moving to is certainly more expensive than OVH. If you colo in Equinix NYC you'll be looking at all-in about $200/month for 1U including power & an unmetered 10gbit port - add your hardware & maintenance costs on top of that.

vultr.com <- only have good things to say with this company. Ive used a lot of providers, I appreciate their UI, very clean and fast
Careful on the DDOS tho, I would call them to ensure they have mitigation setup for you before you host anything

This is true, but I think where people go wrong is paying for hardware and port speed that they don't really need.

You only really need about 1mbps per 100 players, so paying for 1gbps or more from a better provider is likely just wasting your money. Not to mention if you speak to the provider you'll probably find that even if you're paying for a 100mbit port you are actually on a shared 10gbit port and they're not going to care if you burst into it occasionally - they'll just ask you to upgrade if you're often or consistently above your allocation.

To answer the question though - yeah the provider I am moving to is certainly more expensive than OVH. If you colo in Equinix NYC you'll be looking at all-in about $200/month for 1U including power & an unmetered 10gbit port - add your hardware & maintenance costs on top of that.
Basically you rented a colocation. Too much for hosting an otserver.

Basically you rented a colocation. Too much for hosting an otserver.
I didn't, but people could if they wanted and that would probably be the approximate price for Equinix NYC - but I agree it would be a waste for just hosting a single otserver. A different story if you colo a serious machine and you're reselling of course!

Just last night I read this post, I use ovh and today some friends sent me photos that they could not connect, and from what I see ovh takes a long time to respond, this scares me I was comfortable in ovh

7af94c5c-8028-4661-be4e-2c2482eb982f.jpg

Just last night I read this post, I use ovh and today some friends sent me photos that they could not connect, and from what I see ovh takes a long time to respond, this scares me I was comfortable in ovh

View attachment 60651
that screen is no related to some 504 so idk what you talking about

I was testing the server in a test vps and that did not happen to them, when I moved it to ovh it began to appear on the page, I hope and it is as you say and it is an idiot of mine xd

Back