• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OVH high ping for south america (Canada vps)

Thorn

Spriting since 2013
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello guys, i just want to know if any of you know why my players are having high ping (Chile-Mexico)
i have the second vps offer from ovh
  • KVM OpenStack
  • SLA 99.99%
  • 2 vCores
  • 3,1 GHz
  • 4 GB de RAM
  • 50 GB
This looks good enough, but my players are having lag, the vps is in Canada

any ideas?? oh and its a windows vps

Hello guys, i just want to know if any of you know why my players are having high ping (Chile-Mexico)
  • KVM OpenStack
  • SLA 99.99%
  • 2 vCores
  • 3,1 GHz
  • 4 GB de RAM
  • 50 GB

Windows uses a lot more memory & cpu resource than Linux.

Maybe not a latency issue but a CPU usage issue, have you ever checked how much % does the server use?

Maybe not a latency issue but a CPU usage issue, have you ever checked how much % does the server use?
maybe, what do you think of this?
uO2i9w6.png

• KVM OpenStack
  • SLA 99.99%
  • 2 vCores
  • 3,1 GHz
  • 4 GB de RAM
  • 50 GB

I personally think it has to do with the way internet companies are managing traffic, but i really don't have a clue

If you use a realmap with 4gb of ram and 50 SDD believe that it should be because it is very little ram, generally a realmap works with 8gb of ram and about 150 SDD, since the consumption must be distributed between Apache, mysql and apart your server

is not a real tibia map, it's kalima but with a lot more, this is how much it weighs
dPgQPmh.png

is it too much? maybe i need more ram?

Nothing to do with CPU/RAM in this case - that would be felt by all your players if an issue existed, not just mexico & further south.
The issue is more likely that you're on a shared 100mbit port and it's just not good enough to provide a high level of service to people that far away.

Last edited:
También la diferencia podría ser en que tienes un vps estándar, generalmente es recomendable arrendar un CloudVps en ovh ( sólo si usas Windows). Se nota bastante la diferencia... En el vps estándar los recursos son compartidos y en CloudVps es distinto.

También la diferencia podría ser en que tienes un vps estándar, generalmente es recomendable arrendar un CloudVps en ovh ( sólo si usas Windows). Se nota bastante la diferencia... En el vps estándar los recursos son compartidos y en CloudVps es distinto.
We are not supose to speak spanish here, i do have a cloudvps man, i own this one
G12GORu.png

:(

Nothing to do with CPU/RAM in this case - that would be felt by all your players if an issue existed, not just mexico & further south.
The issue is more likely that you're on a shared 100mbit port and it's just not good enough to provide a high level of service to people that far away.

so what can i do? do you have any suggestions? :/

Sorry for writing in Spanish ... well, you could ask the support of ovh, asking him, because the users of south america generate more latency. You could also try to increase your SSD to 100, to increase the cache. The cost I think is not so much and maybe could generate some change. If someone says I'm wrong, maybe I could be. But I also stayed in ovh and increase SSD helped me a lot in increasing the performance of my machine.

@Thorn It is hard to guarantee acceptable performance to areas that a.) are so far from the physical location of your server and; b.) generally don't have great internet themselves.
In saying that, if you want to try to improve things for them you should be looking at options that give you dedicated resources and faster port speeds.

If you're set on using OVH you could look at switching to their "public cloud". It is significantly more expensive, but you are paying for the guaranteed resources (including bandwidth).
OVH's B2-7 offer will probably suit you: 2 vCores x 2.3 GHz / 7 GB RAM / 50 GB local SSD RAID 250 Mbps public (guaranteed) + up to 300 Mbps vRack. 20 euro per month for linux, 50 for windows.

There are cheaper (& better) alternatives out there, but I'm too lazy to do that research for you :p

@Thorn It is hard to guarantee acceptable performance to areas that a.) are so far from the physical location of your server and; b.) generally don't have great internet themselves.
In saying that, if you want to try to improve things for them you should be looking at options that give you dedicated resources and faster port speeds.

If you're set on using OVH you could look at switching to their "public cloud". It is significantly more expensive, but you are paying for the guaranteed resources (including bandwidth).
OVH's B2-7 offer will probably suit you: 2 vCores x 2.3 GHz / 7 GB RAM / 50 GB local SSD RAID 250 Mbps public (guaranteed) + up to 300 Mbps vRack. 20 euro per month for linux, 50 for windows.

There are cheaper (& better) alternatives out there, but I'm too lazy to do that research for you :p

Ok thanks man, im realizing i need a linux system or it goes too expensive for me, i need to learn how to work my website and my server into linux, that sucks for me, everything is way cheaper in linux and aparently faster...im using vps cloud 2 and it has high ping, however there's no lag, only when walking at a high speed...but i'm afraid that if i do the upgrade to the vps cloud 3 won't solve the issue and i can't downgrade the vps, and also it's too expensive if it doesn't work, damnnn expensive windows

Now a days, setting up an OTServer under Linux is way easier than before. If you ever struggle with something feel free to contact me or post it in the Support Section. Good luck!

@Thorn
What you need is a faster network port & guanateed bandwith not more ram or cpu power (though those resources should be guaranteed (not shared) too.)
Linux is easy enough to learn through the tutorials here and as narko said it is wayyy easier than it was before!
If you're set on windows though I'd suggest shopping around for a better deal.

Perhaps have a look at these guys:
Cloud Hosted Servers - Virtual Servers (VPS) - Raid-10 SSD, Gigabit Bandwidth
Their T40 deal is probably perfect for you. 1gbps network port, hosted in NY, enough ram & hdd space & you can add a windows licence for an additonal $8/month. Significantly cheaper than OVH for a significantly faster network port.

@Thorn
What you need is a faster network port & guanateed bandwith not more ram or cpu power (though those resources should be guaranteed (not shared) too.)
Linux is easy enough to learn through the tutorials here and as narko said it is wayyy easier than it was before!
If you're set on windows though I'd suggest shopping around for a better deal.

Perhaps have a look at these guys:
Cloud Hosted Servers - Virtual Servers (VPS) - Raid-10 SSD, Gigabit Bandwidth
Their T40 deal is probably perfect for you. 1gbps network port, hosted in NY, enough ram & hdd space & you can add a windows licence for an additonal $8/month. Significantly cheaper than OVH for a significantly faster network port.

wow that looks amazing! probably i'll get one and test it, thanks a lot man!! :D

so to be clear, what i need to focus on to solve this high ping problem is the ssd strage and port network speed? i don't see that information on the ovh hosting, did u see that? so u sure this T40 is better? cos if you are 100% i'll just go for it! :p

also what would you recomend me, windows server 2012 or 2016?

Last edited:
Not sure what you can see on your OVH control panel, but if you log out and go to where you ordered your VPS from you can scroll down to the "Included with your machine" section.
"Bandwidth 100 Mbps - Unlimited traffic"
The plan you are on with OVH doesn't specify SSD storage either.
(NOTE: SSD storage will not improve ping though so don't worry too much about that.)

That T40 VPS deal I linked you has a ~10x faster port speed & SSD storage but I cannot guarantee that switching to them will fix the problem you have!
As for windows server 2012 v 2016 - unless you have a specific reason to go with 2012...go with 2016. I have to advise you to go with Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) though!

The only things that will help you decrease ping are:
- a faster network port
- guaranteed bandwidth
- superior backbone

The first two I can comment on, the last I cannot. If one datacenter has a better backbone to the outside world it will perform better. I do not know how turnkeyinternet's datacenter compares to OVH's.

I hope this has been helpful =]

Last edited:
Not sure what you can see on your OVH control panel, but if you log out and go to where you ordered your VPS from you can scroll down to the "Included with your machine" section.
"Bandwidth 100 Mbps - Unlimited traffic"
The plan you are on with OVH doesn't specify SSD storage either.
(NOTE: SSD storage will not improve ping though so don't worry too much about that.)

That T40 VPS deal I linked you has a ~10x faster port speed & SSD storage but I cannot guarantee that switching to them will fix the problem you have!
As for windows server 2012 v 2016 - unless you have a specific reason to go with 2012...go with 2016. I have to advise you to go with Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) though!

The only things that will help you decrease ping are:
- a faster network port
- guaranteed bandwidth
- superior backbone

The first two I can comment on, the last I cannot. If one datacenter has a better backbone to the outside world it will perform better. I do not know how turnkeyinternet's datacenter compares to OVH's.

I hope this has been helpful =]

it was, thanks a lot man! :D

I have made the below Bold, because it actually is in relation to your problem.
(Rather than the people above telling you to switch to Linux, which would literally do absolutely nothing for your latency issues)

Also, getting more bandwidth would most likely do nothing to solve your problem. So DO NOT PAY MORE or switch your OVH subscription (I also use OVH)

You will basically need to have the people having lag issues do a Traceroute, and send it to you.

What a Traceroute does, is show where the packets are going.
Sometimes packets go through a "bad route" which makes it take longer to arrive. If you are in certain areas, the internet isn't perfect, and it may increase ping.

Using a Tunnel or Proxy can solve this problem sometimes (Because it will direct your traffic down a different path).

For example:
If I play on a Europe server from Texas (where I live) I will have about 200 ping.
But if I download WTFast and set it up correctly, my ping is reduced to 70.

Simply by changing the route that my packets are traveling has decreased my ping on average by 130ms.

Your players might not want to hear this, but the problem is (most likely) ON THEIR END.
It is up to them to use a program that will assist them in getting a good ping to your server.
You could suggest solutions, but they have to be the ones to download and use these tunnels/proxies.

Last edited:
I jut tried WTFast and the ping doesn't decrease, i think i'll change vps, thanks !

Back