• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

PC server specs for OT! What do you think?

Ub Kenobi

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking of start hosting my own server and in that case buy and build my own PC server... I'm planning to run it on Windows Server 2008(64bit).

I've searched round a bit and I've put this together so far:

Power: Fractal Design Integra R2 500W 80+ Bronze
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8192MB) CL10 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP DDR3
Harddrive: SSD 120GB Intel 330 Reseller 2.5
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS mATX [Link (Swedish website but I think you may understand even so)]
Processing: Intel Core i3 3220 3,3Ghz 55W Dual Core [Link]

All this will cost me around 400 Euro. [EDIT, misstyped 300 instead of 400]

I want the computer as "energy saving" as possible to lower the electricity bill. I wonder if the processor is enough? I mean, is the 3.3Ghz Dual Core enough to host a server with a large map and around 100 players?

What do you think? Is the PC specs good or should I change anything? The server must be free from lagg.

Last edited:
The processor is powerful enough. The ram will depend of server you use but you are fine with 16gb.
The most important thing of course is the internet connection.

It's overkill. Why do people think you need 99999999999gb ram for running an ot server? I've ran multiple types of servers and realmaps + website without any problems using 4gbs 800mhz sticks.. Aldoh I now use 8gb 1600mhz now just because I got spare ones, but I didn't notice any difference. But I guess it's future safe and DRAM is cheap nowadays so.. SSD is a little overkill as well. 500w powersupply is also overkill if you wont use a graphicscard(which is waste unless the software can use it's processing power). A good CPU and good bandwidth is what you should prioritize IMO.

The processor is powerful enough. The ram will depend of server you use but you are fine with 16gb.
The most important thing of course is the internet connection.

Okey, thanks. I want the processor to be a bit "over the line" I got the money to buy a more powerful one but I don't know if it's necessary? I don't wanna regret my buy after a month or so... Got 100/100 bandwidth so that's cool.

It's overkill. Why do people think you need 99999999999gb ram for running an ot server? I've ran multiple types of servers and realmaps + website without any problems using 4gbs 800mhz sticks.. Aldoh I now use 8gb 1600mhz now just because I got spare ones, but I didn't notice any difference. But I guess it's future safe and DRAM is cheap nowadays so.. SSD is a little overkill as well. 500w powersupply is also overkill if you wont use a graphicscard(which is waste unless the software can use it's processing power). A good CPU and good bandwidth is what you should prioritize IMO.

Hehe, I know it's over kill with the 16 Gb of ram and like you say, it's so cheap nowadays, why not add a couple of bucks and buy for the future?. I want the SSD cuz it's the same price as an ordinary hard-drive and I don't need 1 TB disk space... and maybe I got tired of OT one day and then I got a superfast SSD over. And I have changed the power supply to one at 300W. I'm not so sure about the processor, that's all. I want a computer who will work in future as well.

You should downgrade the RAM to 8 or 10 for example and upgrade the procesator to i7 or minimum i5

The CPU should be enough for a server with 100 players online, but with a dual core CPU you're not really building for the future (consider a quad core CPU). I would also recommend getting 8GB ECC RAM instead of 16GB RAM without ECC, especially for a server.

Thanks guys, you really helped me:)
I decided, after some more research, that the FUJITSU PRIMERGY TX100 S3P E3-1220V2 3.1GHZ 8MB 8GB will fit me better I think!

Specs:

Chassis: Pedestal
CPU: 3.1GHz Xeon E3-1220V2 QUAD CORE
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC UDIMM expandable to 32GB
Storage: 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II cold-swap hard disks (max. 4)
RAID: Intel C202 chipset
Array support: RAID 0, 1, 10
Expansion: 4 x PCI-e Gen3 slots
Network: 2 x Gigabit
Other: 9 x USB2 (1 internal)
Software: Fujitsu ServerView Suite
Warranty: 5yrs 9x5 on-site (limited offer)

It's special offer on a Swedish webshop. 600 Euro:)

Back