• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

People from Poland... I wish to do masters in Poland, any comments, tips?

Stellow

C++/C#/PHP/LUA
Reaction score
GitHub
eubrunomiguel
I am about to finish my undergrad and to start a master's program in Poland. How is it there? Any comment about the education, the cities, the people?

Imho every public education sucks but we don't have serious alternative. About cities, you can go anywhere. Main directions: Gdańsk, Kraków, Poznań, Wrocław and Warszawa. Other: every city with university or politechnika (it's something like university but more focused on technical studies: IT, mining, biotechnology, automatics, mechanics etc.). Also we've got medical academies and some private universities, but they need to follow the government plan for education so their level of education is low (everyone with money can finish private, paid studies).

As far I know in US you don't have final exams after every semester, on my University of Gdańsk (Faculty of Economics) we've got final exams for every subject (and 1/2 tests during the semester). E.g. my lectures are not obligatory but my friends from Neofilology needs to be on every lecture. Exercises are obligatory for everyone, on Politechnika they've got labs.

Cities with the highest amount of foreigners are Kraków and Warszawa. You can check amount of students from other countries here:
http://www.studyinpoland.pl/konsorc...iczby-studentow-ze-wszystkich-krajow-2016.pdf
(Ukraine, Belarus, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, Czech Rep., Russia, Germany, Lithuania, India, Saudi Arabia, China, Kazachstan, USA and yet more than 14o other countries).

About Poland in general I can link you this article: Poland - Wikitravel It's good enough to get the basics. If you have more questions about Poland or Gdansk, just ask me.

If you're undergraduate, then You should be more specific about your education. Many universities doesn't allow random people with random bachelor degrees to even sign into their recruiting process. It's really hard to help you or just give any useful tips without that knowlegde.

@edit
About cities and people:
Nothing special about cities... In terms of visual aspects: Mostly sad and grey post-soviet and ugly modern steel-glass architecture, not that much actual polish (pre-war) architecture.
Public transportation is relatively good in terms of connections, slightly worse in terms of state of most vehicles and comfort of travelling.
Air pollution is nasty. If You're not from any big industrial area of US, then You'll immediately notice and dislike it.
If you're picky and don't everything then Yoi shouldn't be worry. There is a lot of different restaurants with food from across the globe. Also with $ you can buy a lot of different products and prepare your own food.
Renting prices are good if you share flat with other people or have a lot of money. University dormitories are usually small cage-like rooms, which You'll share with other person or pay additional money for "private" option.

People. Well... Without knowledge of polish you're limited to other students(obviously not all of them), professors and some of the younger citizens. Older people, especially those who were born in Polish People Republic (even in last years of its existence) are not speaking english.

Last edited:
Back