• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Pisses me off

Andy Man

Advanced OT User
Reaction score
It pisses me off that people like @VanessaM download and run not even a good datapack, a shitty datapack and even take credits for it. And then people like @Shadowsong work for years in a completely new game almost and when they launch they have less people than the 20 minutes OT to make like vanessa's. I know you're going to say that this forums works like this nowadays, I'm not an oldschool OT developer, I started in OTLand in 2010, and it really changed a lot. I just wanted to express myself. And people I hope you understand that when you work for something hard without money involved you feel proud of yourself when you're done. And all of those people out there like shadowsong keep doing what you do, I'm still in OTLand because of you guys that work hard for what you like instead of taking it thru the easy way.

It pisses me off that people like @VanessaM download and run not even a good datapack, a shitty datapack and even take credits for it. And then people like @Shadowsong work for years in a completely new game almost and when they launch they have less people than the 20 minutes OT to make like vanessa's. I know you're going to say that this forums works like this nowadays, I'm not an oldschool OT developer, I started in OTLand in 2010, and it really changed a lot. I just wanted to express myself. And people I hope you understand that when you work for something hard without money involved you feel proud of yourself when you're done. And all of those people out there like shadowsong keep doing what you do, I'm still in OTLand because of you guys that work hard for what you like instead of taking it thru the easy way.

Well first of all, thank you very much for your kind words. I would like to add here that as much as the owners of such servers are to blame, true shame lies in those who show interest in playing such games in the first place. Of course people are going to download&run datapacks because obviously, for some reason, that's what OT players of today deem acceptable - which is very sad and says a lot about the majority of the community. Then again, there's a lot more to OT community than OTLand. For all you know, all of them might be brazilians from another forum or something (for example).

The best thing you can do as a developer is try your best to make something that will change their mind and show them there is much more to OTs.

I don't know how many people will play Necronia, but as long as it there is someone enjoying it, I will be satisfied. We used to host it for 3 to 5 people at times when our traffic was really bad, but we never got pissed off and neither should you about things like this. Just work hard and you'll reap what you sow, trust me.

I do agree with the fact that its dumb that someone who download and runs a datapack gets 60-100 players. While someone who does completely custom goes from 10 - 50 at times... @Shadowsong is probably putting most of his free time into his ot and i hope itll be come successful cause it deserves to be.

true shame lies in those who show interest in playing such games in the first place.

This, so much. I wasn't aware anyone else realized this. It's crazy how little support players show for servers that are well developed and are of much higher quality than the average server.
I understand players want to play on a server with a larger population, but why not communicate with your teams and make the conscious decision to collectively decide to play on the "better servers?" If players simply didn't play on download&run servers, guess what, they wouldn't exist!

I try not to talk about my own server much, but I see a lot of other Evo servers out there that have minimal effort put into them with far more players online than mine.
And I didn't just download an Evo server and make some changes. This is over five years of work, remodeling, thought, and content.
It's a massive put-down to know that I have a huge amount of content that may never get seen, simply because teams move on to servers because they have more players.

The best thing you can do as a developer is try your best to make something that will change their mind and show them there is much more to OTs.

And I really hope you end up feeling fulfilled with Necronia. Because I'm torn to say a lot of people won't appreciate it as much as they ought to.
A good example of this was the server Nelvara, made by (@David Lättman & @trollebror). It's evident that years and years of work were put into the server, but half of the community (at least posting on OtLand) quit after the first few hours because a handful of players got level 30 faster than they were supposed to. They raged, rioted, and quit because the owners of the server didn't have a full reset.

We used to host it for 3 to 5 people at times when our traffic was really bad, but we never got pissed off and neither should you about things like this.

I know the feeling as well. It doesn't make dedicated server owners stop.

Just work hard and you'll reap what you sow, trust me.

I sure hope so.
Red

I understand players want to play on a server with a larger population, but why not communicate with your teams and make the conscious decision to collectively decide to play on the "better servers?" If players simply didn't play on download&run servers, guess what, they wouldn't exist!

I try not to talk about my own server much, but I see a lot of other Evo servers out there that have minimal effort put into them with far more players online than mine.
And I didn't just download an Evo server and make some changes. This is over five years of work, remodeling, thought, and content.
It's a massive put-down to know that I have a huge amount of content that may never get seen, simply because teams move on to servers because they have more players.

I sure hope so.
Red
I aggree with you on this part, if people would just stop playing these download and run servers then the problem would be over. but the fact is that most people playing there just want an easy pay to win server and war all the time. it's sad to see that most servers with time put in just get less people (like cyntara). But i would take a less crowded server with a decent community (active, polite, non botting) over a full BR populated botting server!

And I really hope you end up feeling fulfilled with Necronia. Because I'm torn to say a lot of people won't appreciate it as much as they ought to.
A good example of this was the server Nelvara, made by (@David Lättman & @trollebror). It's evident that years and years of work were put into the server, but half of the community (at least posting on OtLand) quit after the first few hours because a handful of players got level 30 faster than they were supposed to. They raged, rioted, and quit because the owners of the server didn't have a full reset.

I know for a fact that this isnt true, most people QQing on forum just went back and enjoyed it again. Imo i still didnt stand behind their reason to not do a reset but thats another discussion. they had time and effort put into it and it's sad to see it has died out :/

People are habit creatures, they don't like to change them. thats one of the reason i think rl maps are still so popular and also these download and run servers. Most of them use a fairly popular/known map and use the same spells and vocs. it's easy and it feels familiar. Imo a download and run server with a map no one has ever seen (or that hasnt been used as much before) wouldnt do it good either.

It will be hard to break this habbit ; but maybe some day it will with projects like Necronia ,cyntara,thronar,ascalon,...
just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy doing it (thats the main reason you should be doing it)

Kind regards,
Hehemidu

Last edited:

It really is a disappointment to not get what you expect in return for your hard work, there's no denying that. But if you feel that way about your server, you should put that out there and convince people why your server differs from others. If you find yourself lacking new players, I would recommend you to make a very attractive advertisement thread that highlights the best features and content you have to offer and possibly spread that to other OT forums too.

I'm also aware that even a little mistake on the side of balancing and administration (especially in the early phase after release) can cause a huge impact on the playerbase. This actually happened on Necronia before and we've lost tons of players (For those curious- we made wood, which you can obtain through lumberjacking, a bit too valuable and you could sell wood for a lot of money. Later when we nerfed the selling price because it was destroying the economy, people who didn't get a chance to "abuse" this high price complained about it being unfair and quit). So I sure am keeping my eyes open things like that from now on.

I try not to talk about my own server much

This. I know how you feel, but you really shouldn't be withdrawn from talking about your own server. Whoever has something to be proud of, shouldn't be afraid to put that out in the open. It's not bragging if it's something evidently good and you don't act conceited about it. I get that it's common sense not to mention your server on someone else's advertisement thread (douchebag mode), but anywhere else it's acceptable, so always express what you feel about your work and how it compares to others. I hope more people will realize this.

I have noticed that lately people are getting sick of all the effortlessly built servers, which is good, and the demand for custom OTs is growing. But still, we have to convince a regular player whose mindset is set on stale gameplay and fear of change, to actually try something new and put some effort in learning (a new map, new skills, etc..) in order to get a better experience.

2014 seems like a very promising year for OT. We have grown as a community, and lately I'm starting to notice more and more people attempting to do sprites and mapping, which is great. New developers mean new OTs. Solely on OTLand, I can see many nice projects rising, growing, and even releasing soon. And it's going out in all directions too, there is a lot of diverse themes theses OTs cover, ranging from low-exp rpg, teleport servers, high-exps, oldschool, war servers, etc...

I am thinking about making a thread where I would list and review all the custom OTs (currently online, and upcoming ones). Maybe that would work well in our favor, as it both advertises the OTs as well puts the highlight on their best features so they can be seen easily.

I completly agree we need more heavily customized OTs.

BUT. every newb who starts a download and play serv is learning the skills to be a productive member to the community. The server I'm working on has no revolutionary new ideas, but I'm learning the skills I need to make those revolutionary new ideas possible.

Albeit I've put in 6 months of work (sporadically) to mine and still think I need alot to go before I would be comfortable releasing it.

Back