• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Player input on map development

Azze19

Solo developer
Reaction score
Hey fellow OTlanders,

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how difficult would be to develop an OT that tracks player behavior and maps the world around that? What do I mean? let me use a example.

Lets say we have a map of 500x500 that is roughly an island, in that island, there are two small villages where players can respawn, when the OT server launches there's no road between the two villages mapped, as time goes by, players will begin to form a desire path between these two places (A desire path is a path created as a consequence of erosion caused by human or animal foot-fall traffic), but since players don't cause erosion on the map's terrain, the developer would need to track the players' steps to figure out the desire path. Once he or she has that information, a road can be mapped into the world that matches the desire path.

This has been attempted IRL when building foot-paths in universities and such, they let the people inhabiting that place to figure out the best way to get around and then build the foot-paths according to that.

This concept could be applied to almost everything, if you track where in the map players meet to make trades you can map that place into a trading post, if no other settlement was there already, or if the majority of the transactions take place in one of the villages, this can be mapped into a small town taking into account how many people live there or respawn there, and so on and so forth.

I'm not very knowledgeable to tell if getting such data would be difficult to obtain, but it would be a fun experiment nonetheless, as players will have the ability to unknowingly, make lasting changes in their game world.

edit:
I forgot to add that, of course, a whole lot of other content would be required so that this server is decently populated, not just the feature described above.

That is a good idea, which is useful to check which respawns/quests/places are more popular and then develop the server based on the data.

Something like that was did before

Back