• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion [POLL] Buy/sell servers and domain

This question is complicated both on philosophical and technical grounds..

The philosophical issue:
Yes, this is an open source community, but the truth is that there are many OT hosters/owners that doesn't give a shit about any community including their own playerbase, they just want to profit as much as possible, and how do they do this? by running a server that is about 95%+ built by someone else, reset their server every 3 weeks etc, meanwhile the developers who made 95% of that server gets paid nothing.
Does that sound fair?
So developers, people with actual skill, gets paid nothing, while people who's done nothing make tons of money off it.
This is of course not always the case, but it's how this system is setup right now, so most successful developers will get paid very little, and most successful ot owners will get paid a lot.

Personally I think this needs to change, but the solution is far from as simple as "make a service that allows you to sell and buy full servers and domains", that would probably not make a positive improvement to the community at all, and I don't think OP gives a shit either, he clearly just wants to make some money himself.

I'm not even gonna try to get into the technical issues for now, it takes a while to think it through and type it all out and I'm not sure how many people are interested to even read this post, but short story: it's complicated (legal issues among others).
If anyone's interested to learn more about this, like my post or something and I'll consider putting some more thought into explaining the issues and/or trying to think of some solution myself and try to make some kind of service at some point that aims to redirect the cash flow to the developers or in general the people who's contributed the most, but it's not gonna be easy at all to make it perfectly fair.

This explains our current position, nothing has changed.

aims to redirect the cash flow to the developers or in general the people who's contributed the most
While it sounds like a great and fair idea, the people who contribute typically don't do this for the money. That's why we still have some contributions out there. Mostly, people do it for pleasure, as a hobby or to learn something. If they wanted to make money, they would definitely know better than do share it here for free, for others to make money on. So money is not what everyone is after, surprise surprise.

While it sounds like a great and fair idea, the people who contribute typically don't do this for the money. That's why we still have some contributions out there. Mostly, people do it for pleasure, as a hobby or to learn something. If they wanted to make money, they would definitely know better than do share it here for free, for others to make money on. So money is not what everyone is after, surprise surprise.
How many people can survive on pleasurable feelings?
How many developers are incentivized long-term by pleasurable feelings?
You seriously think you and your 2 remaining developer buddies are gonna keep OTS alive forever while either living in your mom's basement or having a job on the side so you've got a highly limited time to spend on development?
It feels strange and paradoxical for me to have to say this, being a dedicated idealist myself, but get real already.
Sticking your feet in the ground and refusing to move is the very definition stagnation; that's how things die (unless you're a plant that can survive on rain and sunlight).
Maybe you're so happy with the OTS community dying that you would like nothing else to happen, "we've had a good run, now go out in peace", if so feel free to keep on advocating for suffocating it to death by preaching economic purity while OT hosters goes RAMPANT with false advertisement, pay2win, unannounced resets and every other possible dirty trick out there to make as much money as possible, maybe that's you, but surprise surprise I'd like to see a OTS renaissance.
Exana Mas Mort ""baby

Last edited:
I'd like to see a OTS renaissance.
You make good points, and no, we're probably not going to do this for you. And everyone is welcome to help keep TFS/OTS/whatever alive and you also don't have to fuel the ruthless OTS hosters who make as much money as possible.
But you still can't sell stuff here. OTS is not a job you can hold on to, nor we plan to have "economy" around resources for it here. If you can do OTS yourself, you can find a job too. Selling stuff (whether truly authored by you or downloaded) is simply not allowed here.

Since otland does not allow selling, there is a lot of people selling stuff 'in the shadows' with no guarantee that its legit stuff (working and not a scam) thus scamming people. I think a controlled market here would be great since people will be able to make money and others will be able to buy good stuff

why to buy something that you can get here for free or exchanging files with others? it useless... people have to invest just a little time without even knowledge

Since otland does not allow selling, there is a lot of people selling stuff 'in the shadows' with no guarantee that its legit stuff (working and not a scam) thus scamming people
No, when it was allowed, there were regular complaints about scams. Now, we discourage anyone from buying anything. It can't get better than that. If we did try to "regulate" that, we would be doing a horrible job anyway.

wow Don, you should work for the us government. Your single sentence would earn you an office. "If we did try to "regulate" that, we would be doing a horrible job anyway."

Poll results say everything.

There were times when people could sell datapacks.
There was a lot of scammers and people selling free datapacks from other forums.. and 1000 reports to moderators that someone publish for free something that they sell etc.
I think it's better for moderators to focus on development, then on reading 1000 reports about other people businesses.

e.e said:
So developers, people with actual skill, gets paid nothing, while people who's done nothing make tons of money off it.
That's how open source code works.
Linux, Libre Office, Apache web server, Firefox, Thunderbird - people make bilions of dollars on these free softwares and do not pay anything to authors.

That's how open source code works.
Linux, Libre Office, Apache web server, Firefox, Thunderbird - people make bilions of dollars on these free softwares and do not pay anything to authors.
A lot of open source projects makes money in all kinds of ways, many are even for-profit and hire their developers as employees...
To use a couple of your own examples: Firefox and Thunderbird are both products of Mozilla, a corporation btw that according to wikipedia made $100M profit just 2 years ago..

Last edited:
Back