• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Proper server launch?

jlnunez89

a.k.a BurnMc
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm currently implementing a server engine, entirely in C#, that uses the cip files released a while back (meaning version 7.7). It will have some unique game features I'll also showcase given its time, and I'm also building a lot of telemetry on server data to make reports and detect patterns (i.e. logging player rune hit/miss, spell spam, health at healing counters to spot potential botters).

As I approach it's completion I would like to hear opinions on how to make a proper launch:
what's acceptable and what's not, usual timelines that work and ideas regarding advertisement and launch guidelines.

Some things I've thought of are:
-Having an appealing, well working website is crucial before even advertising, as it is the first impression of the server. This includes a channel for suggestions and bug reports.
-Holding a test server during the advertising and pre-launch date.
-The advertising/test server phase should last at least 3 weeks.

Some starting questions
-What's a good max length for the advertising/test period?
-What's are some recommended channels for advertising the server?

*Hosting is a topic on its own, but I'm solid there and planning to use Azure (Microsoft Azure, NOT Azura-whatever-company I've heard of before) and leverage Microsoft's anycast routing and internal backbone. It will be hosted in the US, but Europe players can expect no lag.

Comments on features are always welcome but not encouraged (to keep the thread on topic).

Thank you for reading this and please leave feedback.
-BurnMc

Last edited:
Well, to begin with, this seems very nice. I'm wondering if you are going to release the source code?

I did think of that before, but the fact .NET is limited to Windows platform (Mono is no-go imo). But if you do release the source code I will be happy to port it to Java :)

As for your question, I didn't really own a server - just not my thing. But I would say your initial thoughts pretty much makes sense. If you're going to use Tibia map, then it's fine to hold a test server. If it was RPG with custom map I would think of using a different map to keep all the secrets for the actual server :)

Last edited:
Good point. Since right now the goal is to mostly replicate Tibia7.7 at that time, I am using it's map (and because I don't have the skills/time to invest in a new map yet).

I was thinking of making the git repo public eventually, but I first want to have a stab at hosting it and see how sucessful it becomes. If I release it first and hosting it becomes a hit, there would be nothing stopping others from hosting a formidable cip 7.7 clone in minutes and thus diluting the old school player base even more.

Also this thing only reads cip files so far, so I can imagine people asking about how to make it work with current OTserv tools etc. :/ I did make it extensible tho, using design patterns (i.e. There is only one implementation of the map reader/writer- SectorFilesReader : IMapReader and you'd just have to implement IMapReader in say- OTBMMapReader and so on.

Back