• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Question about programming prices

Joe Rod

Discord: joerod1
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
joerod1
Hi, i would like to know which are the prices actually on LUA, C++...
Also, if you work with that... How do you find better? Charge per hour or script?

It would be nice if you could say me about your experience

Thanks in advance

Depends on how difficult the work is. I'll pay anywhere from 5 euro/hr to 40

Pretty much the minimum a full time contracting programmer would be charging in a first world country:

USD $50,000 p.a. to cover salary, superannuation & health
Office worker @ 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year = 1920 hours total
50k / 1920 hours = $26 per hour

Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for that little, but people do it :p

Last edited:
From my own perspective since I been doing such thing for months.
I started off pretty low 2$ hour. I'm no professional and I though its quite fair price because it took me quite some time to make something simple.
Besides I took this price based of this idea: I do a script entire day for someone else and then I can trade this 20$ for nice piece of map. win win :D

But at that time I was in so called "breakpoint" of scripting. I started seeing codes a little differently and how to make them. + making scripts for my own server and others increased the amount of different things I did.
Eventually If I had to I could make the same scripts twice as fast and even better. So I decided to increase the price to 4$/h.

Idk what happened like 2 months ago. But suddenly lot of several people wanted to make "hexera" copy + their ideas.
I got like 1 offer per day for doing this or that. At that time I didn't have any schedule or anything to keep track of how many offers I need to do and when.
So if I knew I gotta make script for someone tomorrow and maybe after tomorrow too, I just said "no time, should I contact you next week?".
Around that "me want scripts boom" I started increasing price $. Just to reduce the amount of people asking scripts from me. So I could do some of my own server too xD

Currently I ask 7€/h and I feel like stealing xD, but meh there are reasons why its gotten so high.

I guess, to see how much script should cost, post the idea of your script to Jobs thread. Maybe people suggest their prices or their idea of good price. (I know I will :D)

Looking at the history of my trades. Seems like the average price for system like things fall between 30-40$. And it hasn't much changed since the time I did it for 2$/h and now latest sold price 6€/h

When I was developing a World of Warcraft private server - I paid my developer 300$-500$ per month (depending on what kind of script it was) for a lot of work in C++ and within that time I could get anything I wanted.

I do however believe agreeing to a certain amount hourly or better yet per script is much better for both parties. :)

@thatmichaelguy
It sounds good :3

@whitevo
Nice story, but sincerely i thought you would finish in 2X $ or something. 7eur is too low yet. If you are better now you should charge more xD

@Snuggles
Very nice, i would like to get a contract like that

@thread
Thanks for your answers. I would like to keep reading something more, share your experience if you want :D

Back