• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Questions about project complexity

Tejonte

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new around here, I have an idea for a sever and I want to know how labor intensive or even possible some of the concepts would be before I start.
Disclaimer: if you like some of the ideas fell free to rip it off idc.

It would be a fairly standard version of 7.7 (probably nostralius or OTHire for what i have scouted) the idea is to implement some balanced vocations on top of the original ones to sake it up a little, I have seen custom vocations done before but usually they where just overpowered and unbalanced.

1. Merchant: Focus on Club weapons (so they see some use) and cap limit. 10 hp 5 mp/lvl regeneration and ML just like knight. Club and shielding advance like a knight the rest are weak, maybe fish without worms but im not very set on this. Cap i have to find a sweat spot but more than knight is a granted(this far im confident i can pull it off) spells would be the basics every vocation shares plus:
a.Hoard: cost 100% MP can only be casted when out of combat, sends the object in front of you to your depot (city you respawn in) meant for lootbags. (this one I'm not so confident i can pull off :confused:)
b.Heavy strike: 100 MP exori mort rip-off but damage is calculated using the current oz. carried powerful but hard to aim in pvp.
c.Sell: 5MP can only be used on PZ loked zones. Sells the item you are holding in your left hand for NPC price, you need certain level depending on the item, for example you will need level 100 to sell dijin stuff. ( I know it would make dijin quest useless but I hate that quest aniway ;))

2. Monk: Focus on fist fighting. 10 hp 10 mp/lvl regeneration and ML like paladin. only good skill is fist fighting, the major plot twist is that fist would be used for offensive and defensive purpose while you are not wearing shield, and damage would scale through level/fist fighting skill(I don't intend to add specific weapons for this) and the weight of your equipment make it weaker,being the most effective while full naked. All basic spells + exura gran,exura vita, exevo pan and:
a.Transcendence: 50% MP makes invulnerable for 5 seconds, 1 minute cooldown.
b.Cleanse:200 MP area like mass heal, disintegrate + destroy field effect.
c.Roundkick: 40 MP 3 front squares, deals additional hit on those squares, like hitting it with a normal attack.

I'm still thinking on more staff to add, but i always find it steals the role of an original vocation a Hunter class would compete with paladin. I'm thinking maybe bard, jack of al trades plus some area buffs, but am not certain.

So main questions does this make sense to you? and, would it take an IT degree to pull off?

1. easy as fk to implement
2. USELESS vocations and the hp and mana they get per level is horrible nobody will play with those back to the drawing board

It would be pretty easy to implement all those things. All contained within lua/xml, unless you want to implement true fist fighting with weapons (like spiked gloves or something), but even then it's not that difficult. :)

It would be pretty easy to implement all those things. All contained within lua/xml, unless you want to implement true fist fighting with weapons (like spiked gloves or something), but even then it's not that difficult. :)
items.xml is for fighting u can set fist fighting im pretty sure old item editors allowed to have this flag in item.otb but newer engines should use xml riht?

Thanks for the feedback I think I will start right away if you say it's so easy to do.

please guys don't forget that Tibia changed a lot through updates and we all didn't enjoy the same version so nostalgia for me can be 7.1 and for other guy 8.6 that's something personal, edited ots are also personal, if he wants to add vocation Bruce Lee and vocation Chuck Norris where's the problem?

and why would you choose an old version of the game?
It's just like @kuhi said, mi nostalgia point is more like 7.4 but I didn't managed to find a usable version of the server. I find tibia just started to lose his identity at this point, and started to become more generic. The world of warcraft influence was just to big and i found no reason to not just play wow instead, I still feel the same way about this, so I think is only natural I do something I enjoy playing.

Learn a bit of Lua & practice on small scripts every day for about 2-3 months and you'll be able to make anything you want. Doesn't take a degree to use one of the easiest scripting languages that exist.

I cant understand people who like old school tibia, that game was so shit you can even describe it.
I will recommend to start studying as SLigma says, take your time while learning and to use otc framework to emulate old school tibia. I can guess you trying to do something like your own game and thats how you should start, creating a new whole concept, that would be cool.

I'm not even one of the worst cases, just today I was talking to a friend ho used to be a hardcore tibia gamer, the real deal in the game since Ferumbras was a gamemaster playing the villan, and he literally told me "Tibia started to suck when they implemented skulls". Thank you for the tell, I'm not totally illiterate with lua, but i assume it will take time to learn how everything is connected. Your recon It will be easier to stick to main distribution to tinker while I learn a bit more instead of jumping too lets say Nostralrius 7.7?

I'm not even one of the worst cases, just today I was talking to a friend ho used to be a hardcore tibia gamer, the real deal in the game since Ferumbras was a gamemaster playing the villan, and he literally told me "Tibia started to suck when they implemented skulls". Thank you for the tell, I'm not totally illiterate with lua, but i assume it will take time to learn how everything is connected. Your recon It will be easier to stick to main distribution to tinker while I learn a bit more instead of jumping too lets say Nostralrius 7.7?

I'll second that. I played tibia from the time when premium accounts were introduced, until around 2008. I have played a few months here and there since, but its just lacking. They have added alot of cool stuff, in my opinion, but around the time they introduced skulls was when it started changing for the worst.

The main two things that I miss from those days, which seems to be lost on this newer generation of gamers, is the social aspect of MMO's, and the fact that dying actually meant something.

You used to HAVE to interact with people to get anywhere in the game. Because of this I made a ton of awesome friends from all over the world. And dying actually meant something to you because of the effort it took to get there.

Of course, technology has gotten better, clients are smoother, etc..... but CIPSOFT went down the same path that so many have gone down today... catering to a bunch of instant gratification, "Easy Mode" gamers, and removing all aspects of necessary social interaction.

I like how people would throw things on the ground to "sell" and a monk can "cleanse" it, adds a whole new level of gameplay to pvp.

tibia was at it's best right around 7.6, in my opinion. No need to explain, those that played in those days already know. When I think of tibia, that is what I see. Tibia was unique then, there are way better games than tibia now.

I like how people would throw things on the ground to "sell" and a monk can "cleanse" it, adds a whole new level of gameplay to pvp.
I didn't even though of that, I thought of it as a counter to pvp traps in wars.

Back