• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Quick Showoff] Post your latest maps!

GhostX

Mapping Board Moderator
Staff member
Board Moderator
Reaction score
Twitch
ghostxpr0
quick showoff.png
Welcome to the new quick showoff thread!

The previous thread had a long haul and made it to nearly 1,000 pages of magnificent content. Unfortunately, the vast majority consisted of broken images as the thread had started back in 2008, almost 12 years ago now!

As such, we've decided to make a new thread to try and keep the majority of the posts current and free from broken images. For future reference, it may be worth using Otland's imaging host to prevent your images from breaking in the future.

Try to keep the thread about posting images - comments on maps are fine but no need for spamming, chit chat or offensive comments. I'll tolerate negative criticism providing it isn't insulting as this isn't the place for arguments.

I can't start this thread without including an image of my own, so here we go :)

part 1.pngpart 7.png

Look forward to seeing your amazing creations populate this thread :)

9Z9mk5F.png

YhrrxSn.png

FzCj9Nk.png

It's not even a bad first map. Mine have been even worse. By far actually.
To improve I would recommend you to take a look on more experience mappers.
Just try to copy some maps they've made or look on the details, coloring and make something similar.
The more often you practise, the better you get. And do not mind any of those trolls.

Last edited:
Try to provide at least some feedback. Instead of spreading negativity all over the place.
If you know better, just give him the chance to work on himself.
This is not the way you want to be treated and that's not the way how you should treat any newcomers.

I consider this as spam and trolling. No idea why your post has not been deleted yet.

On topic:
It's not even a bad first map. Mine have been even worse. By far actually.
To improve I would recommend you to take a look on more experience mappers.
Just try to copy some maps they've made or look on the details, coloring and make something similar.
The more often you practise, the better you get. And do not mind any of those trolls.
Since he liked my post, I assume he means the old thread being thrown away, and not the map of the previous guy.

Sorry for the confusion, yes my post was related to the removal of the old topic. "Because there were removed screenshots" is not a valid argument in my eyes, especially in a matter of the biggest thread on this board. I'm not trying to be rude here, but it looks like this thread was created just for the sake of creating something

Every thread on this forum will in the future have old content that is not valid and/or visible but still be active and fill a purpose. I don't think implementing a new method which purpose is to replace old threads with new ones with the same purpose is a good idea just because the old one has non-visible images, every thread will sooner or later have to be replaced if this is a new principle. I also think having these old threads active lets us show how long this community has been going and what it has achieved (I think this should be considered very valuable).

This is my contribution.
pic2.png

FYI - this wasn't a random decision it had been discussed with a few of us and everyone agreed this was the best way forward. The previous thread was almost all dead images and links.
No one voices an issue when mappers make new showoff threads when their old ones are full of broken images and links. This is the same concept.

If you were to go through those 900 pages of the old thread, almost all of them are dead. However, the thread still exists and people can still view it so it's not the case of wiping it from the history of OtLand but more a nod towards the new community here.

I also strongly disagree with the comment that dead images isn't a valid enough reason to open a new thread. It would be like going to an art gallery and all of the paintings are missing from the frames.
Regarding preventing this from happening to your images, if you can find an image host that permanently hosts files - great, use that. However, OtLand's image attachment is an alternative that will be around for as long as the forum is active.

I used to hate the OtLand attachments and I'm sure a lot of you did also but since we've moved from Vbulletin, it is actually really convenient now and by using it, you're ensuring longevity on your images.

I trust you all understand my position on this :)

And to add:
Some oldies :>
old desert.pngold beholders.png

Last edited:
FYI - this wasn't a random decision it had been discussed with a few of us and everyone agreed this was the best way forward. The previous thread was almost all dead images and links.

No one voices an issue when mappers make new showoff threads when their old ones are full of broken images and links. This is the same concept.

If you were to go through those 900 pages of the old thread, almost all of them are dead. However, the thread still exists and people can still view it so it's not the case of wiping it from the history of OtLand but more a nod towards the new community here.

I also strongly disagree with the comment that dead images isn't a valid enough reason to open a new thread. It would be like going to an art gallery and all of the paintings are missing from the frames.

Regarding preventing this from happening to your images, if you can find an image host that permanently hosts files - great, use that. However, OtLand's image attachment is an alternative that will be around for as long as the forum is active.

I used to hate the OtLand attachments and I'm sure a lot of you did also but since we've moved from Vbulletin, it is actually really convenient now and by using it, you're ensuring longevity on your images.

I trust you all understand my position on this :)
Well the discussion is clearly back on the table.

Mappers rarely make new showoff threads and if they do it's a singular persons thread that gets renewed by that very singular persons decision. We're talking about the largest thread on this forum. This isn't the same concept.

I doubt many people are going through those 900 pages. That's not the point. The new quick showoff serves the exact same purpose as the old quick showoff except it starts at a different page number. This makes some of us feel that the new thread is pointless.
This isn't reviving this dwindling community. This isn't helping anyone.
If anything this will just confront the community with how few posts there have been in the last years.

I also stronly agree with the comment that dead images isn't a valid reason. The thread isn't an art gallery, it's a monument that testifies the history of this community.

I trust you understand the position of a portion of this already small community.

The old thread had almost 800 pages of broken images.... not really motivating for new comers to browse through... (yes there is a small group)
The rest of us (atleast the people I am talking with(means not ALL!) checking basicly only the last 2 pages.... so I am totaly fine with this thread... we only need to arrive at page Nr. 2.

Always hated these new sprites but you made them adorable :)
I really love the first and last especially. Saved them to my computer as inspiration and will try it out soon!
Nice to see you here from time to time.

@GhostX In the old thread, you posted a tp room for an evo server with spawns around the tp room. What server is this for? (Assuming it was mapped for a server)

TIA

Back