• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Raspberry PI - can start Open Tibia Server?

giddy92

Reaction score
Hello.
Did someone try, to start OTS on this device?
Or banana PI? I want start making Open Tibia Server, but i want make it in home.
Raspberry PI, have ARM processor, so it can dont work. So i ask, did someone try?

Yes, the only thing you need to do is compile TFS on it or cross-compile to it.

However you will be very limited because of ram capacity. Dont expect to host anything like an RL map.

I just want to start this to max 2-3 people. RP2 have actually 1gb ram. So big map should work too...
"I think..."

Really cool, i was just wondering about the same thing. I have Raspberry Pi B+ collecting dust after school project when i used it was IP camera, was thinking about making it Retro PI as a retro game console, but now i think it would be fun to run server on it :p

I actually compiled TFS 1.1 on my Raspberry Pi 2 a few days ago, so I can confirm that it does run. As have already been stated, though, the RAM will limit the size of map you can use.

I had a RL server on windows 7 with 1Gb RAM, and now I have a pi 2. My question is - how long does it take to start? Are you using raspbian with the GUI?

I had a RL server on windows 7 with 1Gb RAM, and now I have a pi 2. My question is - how long does it take to start? Are you using raspbian with the GUI?
I used Raspbian but no desktop environment loaded. To be honest I don't remember very well how long it took to start, but what took the most time was loading the map. With the default map it wasn't terribly slow though. I believe the largest map I used was about 7 mb and took around 150 seconds to load. That same map takes 8-10 seconds to load on my Ubuntu machine with Intel Atom 330, DDR3 RAM, 5000 rpm HDD.
It's very possible that you can get that down significantly on the Pi as I used a class 4 SD card. A faster card or a USB flash-drive would probably make quite a difference.

Loading a RL map would definitively take some time, and you would be using a lot of swap if it loads at all.

I've thought about this as well.

I agree with what earlier in the thread was stated about the RAM problem. The main problem with the hardware is the available RAM (512MB on B/B+ and 1024MB on PI2). This limits the server to a specific map size. A wild guess of the maximum runnable map size I would say is around 30MB~.

Should be enough to run a war/event/smaller RPG server though. :) It would be very interesting to see how the PI performs with some different player loads. If you try this out it would be super cool if the outcome was posted here. :)

@forgee @trollebror
I only read these now, didn't see the alerts.
I've cut most of my global map, down to 30~31Mb.
I just started using the pi2 now, and I'm gonna try to compile it with the TFS 1.1 tutorial (I'm using TFS 1.2, not sure if there are any differences to compile it).

@guiismiti You was can open the server with the map 30~31Mb?
Maybe in february the next year "2017" its comming a new Raspberry Pi 4 better for open a server :3

@guiismiti You was can open the server with the map 30~31Mb?
Maybe in february the next year "2017" its comming a new Raspberry Pi 4 better for open a server :3

It uses ~700Mb RAM to load a ~39Mb map. The 10.90 global map is like 130 Mb, so, I guess 2 Gb minimum and 3Gb recommended.

Edited - there is also the loading time. It takes me 2 seconds to load the reduced map in Windows 7 with an i5 5200U from a HD while the pi takes 40-50 seconds.
The Windows machine takes about 40~50 seconds to load the complete map, so, I predict 10~15 minutes for the complete map in the pi, since loading time is not directly proportional to the size (the pi 4 will have a better processor than the pi 2, ofcourse).

Last edited:
If anybody wants to check how the map I mentioned turned out and help testing it, it is running right now on test mode. Search for fardos in otservlist.

Back