• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Recreate the thrill?

Vee

Oldschool Tibia
Reaction score
Hello OTLand, long time no seen.

I'm actually wondering if people would like the idea of creating a server ( 7.4 protocol ) that brings back the excitement that we all once experienced playing Tibia.
Talking about discovering new areas when you were anxious about what would hide in the darkness.
I want to create a fully custom map that fits Tibia standards, with some modifications that is.

Currently working on a "Rookgaard" which I will show just to support my idea.

eHcvB7U.png

Let me know.

Hey there, great to hear from you again! Your idea for a custom Tibia server with a fully custom map sounds exciting. I think a lot of players are looking for fresh experiences, and creating a custom map could definitely provide that.

I'm curious about the challenges you're facing in creating a custom map that meets Tibia's high standards. What specific elements of the Tibia universe are you trying to capture, and how are you approaching the design process to ensure that your map feels like a natural extension of the game world?

On a related note, I'm also wondering how you plan to balance familiarity with newness in your custom map. Do you plan to include any elements from the original Tibia map, or are you starting completely from scratch? Overall, I'm really excited to see what you come up with. A custom Tibia server with a fully custom map has the potential to be a really refreshing experience, and I wish you the best of luck in your efforts!

Good luck on your project!
Unfortunately custom maps rarely gets the numbers of players they deserve. People only want to play "RL" map. Maybe with a few custom spawns.
I personally love custom maps so i really wish you succeed :)

This is honestly such a great idea, I just don't know if a game like that can survive in this day n' age anymore. There was something about growing up in 2000's with game guides for all the console games, but Tibia didnt have one and we genuinely had to figure things out. I don't know if the player base would be big enough to support the hours it would take to create something like this, but I'm definitely behind the idea and support you 100%. Just looking at the temple and imaging what may lie ahead those stairs into the mountain already gives me nostalgic vibes, if you can capture those moments properly then you're as good as gold.

To be honest, even a wiki that leads you into the general area of quests/new locations would be something that could work for an idea like this. Not full on step by step, but just enough to get you to where you need to be - the rest is up to you. Then you'd be able to appeal to a wider audience and also relight the torch of finding things on our own.

why not host it and work on it as you go maybe someone will join and help you out during the development .. try it out and give feedback directly .. seems like its a long road to walk so why not just get it online so ppl can login

Look, it doesn't matter if there's many people playing or simply just a few. As long as I can make just one soul happy with the creation of this server my goal is already completed. Yes, it may require some time to develop, but once a part of it is playable, I will let the server run.

Look, it doesn't matter if there's many people playing or simply just a few. As long as I can make just one soul happy with the creation of this server my goal is already completed. Yes, it may require some time to develop, but once a part of it is playable, I will let the server run.
I think it's a wonderful idea, and I'm sure there are many people out there who share your passion for reliving the excitement of playing Tibia.

It's true that we can't turn back time and experience the game exactly as we did when we were younger, but that doesn't mean we can't create new experiences that capture the spirit of what made Tibia so special to us in the first place. Your dedication to creating a server that brings happiness to at least one person is truly admirable, and I have no doubt that there are many others who would also appreciate your efforts.

^trollheim recreates a really hard feeling in tibia that no ot did so far for me anymore. its not old protocol, but still feels insanely hard to get into but later on rewards you immensely.

Hello OTLand, long time no seen.

I'm actually wondering if people would like the idea of creating a server ( 7.4 protocol ) that brings back the excitement that we all once experienced playing Tibia.
Talking about discovering new areas when you were anxious about what would hide in the darkness.
I want to create a fully custom map that fits Tibia standards, with some modifications that is.

Currently working on a "Rookgaard" which I will show just to support my idea.

eHcvB7U.png

Let me know.

If you like to host a 1 week project, go for it

I think its a great idea, there is some servers out there that are trying this aproach. But honestly, playing 7.4 tibia will never be the same once we do it using 27" screens with RBG keyboards and fast internet connections =(

Yes this is what I always wanted. For me tibia 7.2 was the last update that has old tibia feel and still they already ruined the feel with level/quest doors. Tibia 7.1 was the peak. Ankrahmun turned tibia into a theme park mmorpg with easy power gaming spawns.

However I think what you are trying to achieve is too much for a single person :(

Use tibia 7.1 map I have in download folder for inspiration.

Tips to capture old school feel:
  • Avoid use of theme parks where you have only specific sprites and specific monsters, For example before Ankrahmun, places like Drefia, Swamps still had sprites found all over tibia, some specific monsters but they were not the majority
  • Do not make spawns safe or even cities!, monsters should be easily lured and players can create monster traps and be trapped from other players and natural spawns where you find weak monsters together with stronger monsters like Fibula Dungeon (rotworms plus DS). This adds thrill and also prevents botters
  • Use points of no return like Hellgate entrance in some dungeons
  • Use pickholes and secret dungeons (like Demona) and think outside the box quests (paradox quest entrance, power ring in Outlaw Camp etc).You should reward better the first players that find the solution
  • Create dungeons with several layers of connections (ancient temple - maze - mintwallin) which connects to other dungeons like dwarven caves
I also tried to really capture the old school Tibia in this map

Last edited:
Yes this is what I always wanted. For me tibia 7.2 was the last update that has old tibia feel and still they already ruined the feel with level/quest doors. Tibia 7.1 was the peak. Ankrahmun turned tibia into a theme park mmorpg with easy power gaming spawns.

However I think what you are trying to achieve is too much for a single person :(

Use tibia 7.1 map I have in download folder for inspiration.

Tips to capture old school feel:
  • Avoid use of theme parks where you have only specific sprites and specific monsters, For example before Ankrahmun, places like Drefia, Swamps still had sprites found all over tibia, some specific monsters but they were not the majority
  • Do not make spawns safe or even cities!, monsters should be easily lured and players can create monster traps and be trapped from other players and natural spawns where you find weak monsters together with stronger monsters like Fibula Dungeon (rotworms plus DS). This adds thrill and also prevents botters
  • Use points of no return like Hellgate entrance in some dungeons
  • Use pickholes and secret dungeons (like Demona) and think outside the box quests (paradox quest entrance, power ring in Outlaw Camp etc).You should reward better the first players that find the solution
  • Create dungeons with several layers of connections (ancient temple - maze - mintwallin) which connects to other dungeons like dwarven caves
I also tried to really capture the old school Tibia in this map
Thank you for the amazing feedback. Your map looks pretty interesting.
To adress your feedback;

• Even though I understand exactly where you're going with the "theme parks", I do believe different biomes in a map are neccessary. However, most monsters will not be limited to their biomes only.
  • "Broken" mechanics such as monster luring and monster traps will be essential in the map. I even map with bearing this in mind.
  • PONR dungeons will be added to the game just to force the player to either continue venturing the dungeon and completing quests or die in order to get out of the dungeon. ( obviously they could use the "teleport" trick if they're not venturing alone that is )
  • There will be ( and there already is one ) secret pickholes that lead to jigsaws. Obviously these quests take some intellect to complete.
  • "Rookhaven", which is the rookgaard of the map has different dungeons connected already! There's a level 3 or higher bridge ( similar to Dallheim in Rookgaard ) to prevent newbies from venturing too far in danger. This can obviously be bypassed by going an alternate route. Just a small spoiler; it's mandatory at some point to achieve one very specific item.
Now, I do not tend to focus too much on lore in the beginning, this might change alongside the way.

@topic; the map is still progressing almost every day.

I forgot to say that you should prioritze having a huge mainland than having more islands. Islands makes the server feel more empty. If you gather players in walkable mainland cities makes the server feel more alive and making travelling more dangerous, avoid boats.

I was not talking about having no new biomes. But to not make everything in the biome alien in comparision to the rest of the map, you should reuse sprites from other places in the new biomes. For example Darashia/Edron did dad. Ankrahmun did not.

I forgot to say that you should prioritze having a huge mainland than having more islands. Islands makes the server feel more empty.

I was not talking about having no new biomes. But to not make everything in the biome alien in comparision to the rest of the map, you should reuse sprites from other places in the new biomes. For example Darashia/Edron did dad. Ankrahmun did not.
Noted. Most of the mainland will be connected anyhow. There will be only one remote island that's accessible by premium players.

Don't worry, premium cannot be bought the regular way as I do not take any payments from players. Premium can be earned on the website as a small incentive for completing various tasks. ( great to do when you're skill training or mana sitting )

This can be either used by the player, gifted to someone else or exchange for a trade able item that, upon using, adds the amount of premium time to the players account.

"It was said that during the great war the one eyed dwellers were pushed back to the mainland by the marvelous four. They were the only ones skilled enough to wield the hammers smithed by the giants. These weapons became known in the lore as Rookhaven's Vengeance. Even though three of them were lost in time it is still believed by many that one day these dwellers would return to Rookhaven to finish what their encestors started - take over the island. Some could even swear they heard their loud screams within the depths of Rookhaven, smashing their way through the earths. The lore explicitely says that when this day comes, only the humble, would be able to wield the powerful hammer."

My attempt for an epic quest in this beginner island.

S17wpLh.png

Yes, this is still Rookhaven.

g3zomII.png

Last edited:
Ahoy!

NnZY44l.png

Current minimap of Rookhaven + beginning of mainland

2seoyQC.png

@topic; I know it's far from finished, but I don't intend to rush this.

Back