• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Regarding Downgrading

Nostalgian

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just getting back into the OT scene after a many year hiatus.

I've been roaming around the past few days trying to play catch up.

What I'm wanting to accomplish is to take tfs 1.x and make 7.72 files (spr, dat, items.xml, items.otb) work with it.

I'm a little rusty on the scripting side of things, but I've already managed to change quite a bit to mimic the mechanics of those days.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best approach to my next problem:

Getting the old spr and dat/items.xml/items.otb to work on the new TFS, while still maintaining newer protocol (10.98)

Here is where I'd like to get some input:

What I want to end up with:
- TFS 1.x with all features intact
- SPR & DAT Files 10.98, but with only the 7.72 era sprites
- Items.xml & Items.otb updated to work under those conditions

I'm starting to get confused (haha)

Every way I think about this, I end up just circling back to manually creating a new spr and dat file and then manually re create a new OTB, and type in a new items.xml.

Manually creating all of these things will definitely take a very long time to complete. If thats the way it has to be done, so be it........ but I'm really hoping one of you fine people here could give me some suggestions on the workflow to end up with what I'm trying to get to here. :)

Thank you.

Manually adding the sprites to a new spr & dat is what will take you the longest because you have to set all the flags to every single sprite (even if you duplicated sprites because some attributes may differ). Using Object Builder alone will throw an error if you try to automatically upgrade an spr+dat from 7.72 to 10.98.

Once you have the spr & dat complete, creating an otb file is just a matter of using an items editor. But then you could use a 7.72 items.xml file provided you placed all the sprites in the same order but then you would have update all the attributes so they match that of 10.98.

Of course you could also load items from lua rather than xml by utilizing one of my source edits "load items from lua" found in the link "My Scripts & Source Edits" in my signature. You'll need to modify the code to parse the 7.72 items.xml & swap out properties... But it beats doing it by hand and the benefit of loading items from lua is that you can write code that is associated with items that executes well before it is ever loaded into the server.

Hopefully that was a little helpful :)

Last edited:
Back