• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Remeres using Ubuntu? Forgotten Server? Tibia? What works and what doesn't..?

Sinth

Argardh.com
Reaction score
So, I just installed Ubuntu for the first time and already came across the first problems. You need Wine/Windows-data-files to run programs using Windows Installer. Is the project doomed and should I re-install Windows(Is XP still working properly or should I go with 7??)? Or does Wines work with Remeres Map editor? What other programs could cause problems? Forgotten Server etc never uses any install so I guess it will not be a problem?

Thanks in advance
/Sinth

Hello Sinth,

you should go definitelly with windows 7 or 10.

Regarding the question of using Ubuntu to run the server, it's just awesome and everyone should do it.

You could install a Virtual Machine on your ubuntu, to run windows 10 or any other light distro like PE, just to make modifications to the map or other stuff (like spriting or w/e). This way you don't have to format your machine and have all the "hard" work again.

You should also have in mind, that it's not good to do stuff on your computer while your server is running, this causes lag / freezes depending on how many people are playing on your server and your computer specs.

Feel free to ask anything and if I can help, I'll do :)

okke~

there's no visual context on ubuntu which i run my server, i would say its easy learning, but if u realy want to run the server propely you will have to get inside some topics for real.

So XP s3 is off the table?

Server is not ready to run yet so that won't be a problem. But I do ofcourse want to be able to map and then try the server on the same computer. Any tips on what VM to use? Do I install the VM and then through it install WindowsX?

What is PE?

Thanks for the answers!
/Sinth

Hello there Sinth,

Windows XP is off the table, windows 10 beat the shit out of it.
Windows PE is a little complicated, since you have to throw all drivers on it and it's like a live cd/usb stick.
You firstly install the VM manager (VirtualBox), then you download the .iso for windows 10, create a new VM, choose the windows 10.iso as a boot media then just install it.

If you need further help with linux just let me know.

What is Windows PE?

What Virtual Manager is recommended? I tried donwloading 1 but instantly ran into problems saying it was uncompatible with my Ubuntu :/

And also, what the heck is Windows 10? Didn't 8 come out just 1-2 years back? Personally I feel Windows 8 was pure, pure, PUUURE shit. Is Windows 10 a step back to a more pro-friendly UI or even less(like W8)?

Hello again Sinth,

regarding your questions on Windows PE (Preinstallation Environment) - If you don't have any knowledge about it, just leave it, it may take too much time until you build it the way you need.

Windows 10 can be downloaded directly from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10ISO (I couldn't find the link in English, but microsoft will probably redirect you to one written in your language...)

If you're using ubuntu, try opening the terminal (Shortcut: ctrl+alt+t) and typing "sudo apt-get install virtualbox-qt" - That's the best for you, since it has a GUI and it's quite similar to the ".exe" version of it.

I see you're quite "not" into the newest stuff, so I'd suggest you to, IF you can't manage to make stuff happen with linux, don't take me wrong, it isn't for everyone, go back to windows, with a brand new windows 10 installation and run it from there (your server + remeres and so on).

I'm glad to help you with linux if you need, you can also PM me in any case.

See you around!

okke~

Windows 10.. WOW! Thanks a lot for these posts mate! :D I'm normally sticking to what I know and have, by Microsoft themself, been programmed to hate Windows and its direction. Windows 10 however.. wow! Guess they had to release something like this so that they could keep their monopoly on OS :p

I'll look into installing Ubuntu on top of this later, right now I feel I will be buisy just enjoying this shit for a pretty long time ;)

Back