• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion Remove otservlist subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.

kay

Legendary OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
YouTube
TibiantisOnline
As in the title, I'm suggesting to remove that subforum.
It doesn't seem like there is any interest anyway, only about 10 posts were sent this year.
Not even xinn seems to care at all, as he's not answering there (and lately not even visiting otland at all).

Besides, I don't see a reason why this particular service is promoted (especially when it appears in otland board which may mislead people to think otland and otservlist are one, despite the red warnings inside).

Maybe that's one of the reasons why we don't see any proper initiatives in that matter - because it looks like otservlist has developed a monopoly within otland. I'm referring here to discussions such as: Should OtLand Open New OtServerlist site? (https://otland.net/threads/should-otland-open-new-otserverlist-site.272217/)

So if anything, maybe create a subforum for ots lists in general, where admins could post threads about their sites in which the users would discuss them (similarly to "server gala")?

Of course there would be only several threads at best and probably not much traffic too, but I still find it better to create an environment for fair competition rather than greatly favor one particular service for unknown reasons. Otherwise just remove that subforum.

Edit by @Znote:

Mod reply:
I read about two suggestions here, the first one is to remove the OTServlist board, and the second one is for OTLand to create our own OTSList. I can understand how the two suggestions can correlate with each other (but it's not a given). The board can still exist, whether or not we decide to adjust our own advertisement method of servers.

As has already been mentioned in a post above, OTServlist redirects traffic to OTLand (vice versa), and while neither I know the details of when and why the cooperation agreement between the two was made, I can still see the benefits of still having it.

Just wanted to let you know that we've noticed the thread and the feedback from other users regarding these two topics.

Hope you guys are having a good day today, it's really nice weather here in Stockholm today! 🌞🌻

Admin reply:
We link to that server list (and maintain a forum for it), because their website links to us in the main menu (the specific sub-forum).

There may be may reasons to like or dislike this list but I don't think us having the forum is any form of advertising it. We used to host so-called "Hosted Project Boards" back in the days, and many projects were relying on it instead of building their own forums. Building own forums became much easier and most other boards were retired with the exception of this one, because the website still exists (while other projects mostly ceased to function) and hasn't chosen to build its own forum. Other projects that would have had forums a while back (such as AACs) now use GitHub issues or discussion and also don't need to have such a forum.

The Otservlist board was specifically placed at the bottom of all the forums but since someone assumed that it being in the "Otland" category implies association, it was moved to the "Community Chatboards" category, therefore going up on the list. We don't have (nor need) a dedicated Hosterd Project Boards category to put it in separately, which would also make it more visible and cost more space.

If there was any other server list or really any OT project of any kind willing to have a project board and it would make sense, I'm still open to do that. Unfortunately, we haven't seen any other server list that would actually live long and have any substantial traffic and ask for a project board, which is why this one remains the only one.

Again, there is no association, no sponsoring, nothing to gain for us from having the board. But most importantly, there is nothing to gain from removing it at this point, which is why I'm not removing it.

there is no secret or lucrative arrangement between us and otservlist.org. We have hosted the "project board" pretty much forever and continue to do so because the alternative is simply for xinn to set up his own forum. Instead, it seems easier to have one larger forum. There is no endorsement, however. I know this forums stands out because all other "hosted project boards" are now defunct and hidden, due to those projects simply not being active. It is still simply a hosted project board.

This open discussion can continue and no decision has been made yet, nor am I implying that there is one necessarily coming. Civilized posts here won't be deleted and everyone can have their own opinion.

Official reply from owner of otservlist:

Last edited by a moderator:
How are those examples ridicilous? Are you dense?

These servers ALLOW bots. You can be online ALL DAY.
Servers are not like medivia and tibiantis where you get banned.
You can keep your bot online on 4 CHARACTERS. OFcourse their graphs will look different than a server where you cant be AFK at all on 1 CHARACTER!

I didn't know they allow bots 24/7.

Anyway, doesn't that fact prove how crappy and ridiculous this list is? Both you and Xinn are so worried about characters on multi clients played manually by players themselves, but you are somehow fine with 24/7 afk botters at the limit? That's ridiculous. It just proves how this list is useless for any actual player and is yet another example why it should be removed from otland.

tenor.gif

OTLand (OPEN TIBIA Land) been promoting a website that basically profits out of whales (big/older servers) harming smaller/newer projects that may (or may not) have the potential to be just as good or even better than the big ones - and even if they don't, it's killing their opportunity to be.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to run their bussines because otservlist can do whatever they want but if OTLand is supposed to be an open community - why is this server list even allowed? It seems to be pretty contradictory to me.

If you told me that OTLand is getting paid by otservlist (or the board itself helps the forum keep more trafic) and that helps run the website.... Hells - I'd understand that, its not ideal but it is what it is.

I just find it hard to digest that a website like that is hosted in an open community... Its like promoting a shop selling windows licenses in some linux community.

OTLand (OPEN TIBIA Land) been promoting a website that basically profits out of whales (big/older servers) harming smaller/newer projects that may (or may not) have the potential to be just as good or even better than the big ones - and even if they don't, it's killing their opportunity to be.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to run their bussines because otservlist can do whatever they want but if OTLand is supposed to be an open community - why is this server list even allowed? It seems to be pretty contradictory to me.

If you told me that OTLand is getting paid by otservlist (or the board itself helps the forum keep more trafic) and that helps run the website.... Hells - I'd understand that, its not ideal but it is what it is.

I just find it hard to digest that a website like that is hosted in an open community... Its like promoting a shop selling windows licenses in some linux community.

Stop blaming OTSERVLIST.
Bad new servers die because theyre BAD. GOOD New servers LIVE. They don't die.
New servers LIVE because theyre GOOD, got GOOD ADs, got GOOD STAFF. GOOD UPDATES. HELL Theres BRAND NEW servers surviving without otservlist at all like tibiantis.

new servers always have lots of players if its interesting and got good advertisement. this has nothing to do with otservlist. but players usually quit in 2 weeks or something because they did everything, theres no pvp, the staff dont do any updates. and usually they only advertise for the launch. so no new players will join. and server will die because ppl quitting and noone else is joining. even if it was at top of otservlist it would not get enough people to survive if its a bad server

Last edited:
Please close this pointless thread, leave this list as it was, because it does not change anything.

Most people do not even know about the existence of otland and let them continue looking for ots list servers as before, even if you delete it, they will not come to otland anyway because they cannot find server advertising here, even if you point them with your finger, they will search on twichtv and they will not come to otland.

It is known that servers are not worth playing, but it is also not worth banning people for some opinions on the forum for some nonsense unbans people on the forum close this thread and the matter can be over.

Anyone who has a little oil in head knows that these servers are fake online inflated and can check it out in a few minutes, no statistics are needed.

I suggest we unbans everyone for some nonsense, close this topic and block the creation of such topics and that's it, and not ban people for some nonsense.

Log in to Medivia, use exiva for find and count cave bots and afk rune makers and you already know how large the scale of the fake online server list is.

Tibiantis log in, go every city, stand, wait for the bed mages to get out of bed, start the stopwatch, count yourself how many relogs regularly at the same time and you already know how big the online fake scale is without any statistics, you can do it in a few minutes, only of course you would have to spend money on a premium account first, then you'd better not play there because the scale is large and you will count a lot on the facc area.

Closing this thread, those who wanted to vent have done so, if someone has any questions feel free to PM me or another moderator.
If you have an issue with another user / moderator contact that person via PM ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back