• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Complaint Removed my signature when I am not SELLING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB

OtLand Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
I was simply showing off my real map.
I said, "check out my latest real map, with a screen shot."

1. I have no vapus.net threads.
2. I never had the word "buy/sell/trade" in my signature.

This is not selling. I re-added it.

Last edited:
This means you cannot show off your real maps either. Just don't add anything "affiliated" with real maps in your signature and you'll be okay. It's not worth fighting over, you will end up getting infractions/banishments.

Sites Affiliated with "Real Maps."

1. Otservlist
  2. Vapus
  3. Otslist
  4. Google
  5. Yahoo
  6. Youtube
  7. etc...

This means you cannot show off your real maps either. Just don't add anything "affiliated" with real maps in your signature and you'll be okay. It's not worth fighting over, you will end up getting infractions/banishments.

1. Otservlist
  2. Vapus
  3. Otslist
  4. Google
  5. Yahoo
  6. Youtube
  7. etc...

This is what I mean. This is getting abit silly and people does not really know what they can do and what they cannot do. All vapus subpages contains a link to the store, so if we should follow the rules all vapus rules should be removed. I'm not sure but isn't the sprites copyrighted to as well? If they are then we could just close the mapping board and 90% of all advertising threads.

As long as you link to a page that doesn't contain content we don't allow on OtLand, it's ok. You are allowed to link to copyrighted material - we don't have rules against that. The rule we have is against selling/buying copyrighted material (unless you are the copyright holder, obivously), so linking to VAPus store frontpage is illegal because it contains links to buy CipSoft's Tibia map, linking to a store item that is about selling CipSoft's Tibia map is illegal too.

1. Otservlist
  2. Vapus
  3. Otslist
  4. Google
  5. Yahoo
  6. Youtube
  7. etc...

You maybe should read his post again, ye?

"You are allowed to link to copyrighted material - we don't have rules against that. The rule we have is against selling/buying copyrighted material (unless you are the copyright holder, obivously)"

You maybe should read his post again, ye?

"You are allowed to link to copyrighted material - we don't have rules against that. The rule we have is against selling/buying copyrighted material (unless you are the copyright holder, obivously)"

Vapus got copyrighted material for sale for sure, if you google abit I bet that you will find a few there to. Not sure about the rest though.

1. Otservlist
  2. Vapus
  3. Otslist
  4. Google
  5. Yahoo
  6. Youtube
  7. etc...

This is what I mean. This is getting abit silly and people does not really know what they can do and what they cannot do. All vapus subpages contains a link to the store, so if we should follow the rules all vapus rules should be removed. I'm not sure but isn't the sprites copyrighted to as well? If they are then we could just close the mapping board and 90% of all advertising threads.

Wow, so ignorrant. Are you two even reading my posts before making stupid conclusions?

Sharing copyrighted material (i.e. posting a real map, as long as it isn't hosted on OtLand's server) - allowed.
TRYING TO SELL/BUY copyrighted material from someone that doesn't own the copyright - not allowed. This is what VAPus allows, that is what makes it a website with content we don't allow!

otservlist is allowing selling/buying copyrighted material? No.
vapus is? Yes.
otslist? I guess not, don't know what site you are talking about.
Google? I thought most people knew what Google was, apparently not. It's a company that is very well known for their search engine, yeah, it's a search engine and not a marketplace to sell copyrighted material you don't own the copyright of!
Yahoo? Okay, I get it, you're upset because you don't understand the rules, because we don't allow you to sell copyrighted material you don't own the copyright of on OtLand. Instead of making yourself look stupid by mentioning search engines, go write something that makes sense.

Wow, so ignorrant. Are you two even reading my posts before making stupid conclusions?

Sharing copyrighted material (i.e. posting a real map, as long as it isn't hosted on OtLand's server) - allowed.
TRYING TO SELL/BUY copyrighted material from someone that doesn't own the copyright - not allowed. This is what VAPus allows, that is what makes it a website with content we don't allow!

vapus is? Yes.
Google? I thought most people knew what Google was, apparently not. It's a company that is very well known for their search engine, yeah, it's a search engine and not a marketplace to sell copyrighted material you don't own the copyright of!
Yahoo? Okay, I get it, you're upset because you don't understand the rules, because we don't allow you to sell copyrighted material you don't own the copyright of on OtLand. Instead of making yourself look stupid by mentioning search engines, go write something that makes sense.

What makes sense is a "multi-million dollar" company not filing any lawsuits against people who make barely a few hundred a month on donations. Make a new check box when you create an account on Otland. "We do not support selling/buying/trading/use of copyrighted material unless you are the copyright holder. If something may happen, we will not take any responsibility for it. We highly recommend you do not post this kind of material here on our forum, but we like to keep an open community."

That makes sense. Let me deal with a lawsuit if one should arise. There is no reason to be anal about removing real maps.

Last edited:

vapus is? Yes.

You said that links to the vapus frontpage isn't allowed, right? A link to the arcade(etc) at vapus does still contain a link to the copyrighted material. So what's the difference between the frontpage/store and the arcade, both of them contains a link to the store?

EDIT: Why are you calling us ignorant? Alot, and then I mean ALOT of people haven't got theses rules right. I am just trying to figure out what you are trying to do so I can follow the rules to aswell. Even some moderators doesn't even know.

What makes sense is a "multi-million dollar" company not filing any lawsuits against people who makes merely a few hundred a month on donations. Make a new check box when you create an account on Otland. "We do not support selling/buying/trading/use of copyrighted material unless you are the copyright holder. If something may happen, we will not take any responsibility for it. We highly recommend you do not post this kind of material here on our forum, but we like to keep an open community."

That makes sense. Let me deal with a lawsuit if one should arise.

We're happy that they haven't filled a lawsuit yet because lots of people are hosting copies of their website, but people like you are trying to make the situation worse by making money by selling their map. When you create an account on OtLand you agree to follow the rules, and that's it. We will not support to make the situation worse like VAPus does, I would even say they deserves it if CipSoft sues them, because allowing users to sell copies of CipSoft's map is going too far. You can't tell people that they are allowed to commit crime, and if something happens we won't take responsibility for that. If we can stop it from happening, we will. Our intention is to make the protocol open and allow for more customization in Tibia without causing any bigger conflicts with CipSoft, unfortunately some people in the community believes that selling CipSoft's copyrighted material is the way to go and I advise you all to go to VAPus and enjoy the lawsuit ones it comes. I'm sure they won't just watch it happen, they probably aren't even aware of it yet, but once they are I wish you luck.

I've done you guys a favor by demoting stian now so he can go improve that store for you, because it seems that his intention (and yours too, seeing how you are complaining) with OpenTibia is to take it to a state that CipSoft won't live with anymore. It is not what I wanted to make OtLand.

You said that links to the vapus frontpage isn't allowed, right? A link to the arcade(etc) at vapus does still contain a link to the copyrighted material. So what's the difference between the frontpage/store and the arcade, both of them contains a link to the store?
Please read again, https://i.imgur.com/valtG.png.

--

This is enough, if someone doesn't understand anything you can read my posts in this thread until you do. Thread closed.

If I may shamelessly use this as an excuse to share my opinion... A relevant post I made on that 'other' forum about the legality issue:

Modifying CipSoft's Tibia game application client's allocated memory during execution in the user space of your own computer is akin to debugging and does not constitute any violation of Copyright or DMCA protections. One could use proxy-injections and intelligent forwarding at the networking level without ever touching their copyrighted program and achieve the same effects. It's a violation of their terms of service if done when in usage to connect to their game-worlds, and their limit of enforcement is merely disablement/modification/deletion of player account data residing on their servers, because technically it's their own property.

When an end user (a player) reverse engineers or does modify/patch the client executable, they and they alone are violating DMCA statute law.

If a independent 'OpenTibia' game-world operator (server owner) is providing a persistent game-world that is basically a clone of CipSoft's game-world template (mapping such as towns and significant unique geographic features, NPC likenesses and story-line/quest dialogue, etc) , then they and they alone are violating Copyright law. Likewise, if they choose to use CipSoft's imagery, identical styling, and/or make use of or reference CipSoft's trademarked names in their brand identity, they and they alone are violating Copyright law.

However neither are relevant as what happens client-side by nature has no bearing on the legal status of running 'OpenTibia' as a network service daemon, nor does any copyright infringing usage by a third party. The game-world network service daemon software projects (OTServ/TFS) contain 0% of CipSoft's source code and constitute significant non-infringing usage the two paramount factors of the their perfect legality.

Personally, I'd be delighted if CipSoft tried to sue me. Because I'd have a certain friend of mine testify and certain prior-art to exhibit as evidence, and they would get owned for their outright stolen graphics used in older versions of their clients.

Basically, the biggest concern would be discouragement of behavior like that of the bold paragraph. A data library of CipSoft's gameworld design that is packaged for sale is doubly damning... Because the sale itself is a federal crime is the US, and it's almost certainly going to be used is a commercially exploitive manner which is an additional crime. This would fall under Directive 2001/29/EC in the European Union as their implementation of WIPO treaty compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom