• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Retro Outfits [6.98]

Kaspar

Unprejudiced
Staff member
Global Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello folks.
At a certain point of time, CipSoft had a test server -- client version 6.98. Since the client is so old and since it was not an official client, it has now been long forgotten and has disappeared into the abyss. I couldn't find a trace of it anywhere.

A major part of the testing of that client was to introduce the new outfits (the ones that we now know as "oldschool/retro" outfits, released at client version 7.0). Before that, the outfits were from the client versions pre-6.0.
They were looking like this.
Old_Outfit.gif
Outfit_Old_Male.gif
At the 6.98 test client, the outfits were changed to look like this.
4197.png
4201.png
Some of you may recognize these outfits.
They are actually the basis of how dead female corpse and dead male corpse look like.
Dead_Human1.gif
154828696960714766.png
In fact, they've become quite popular and many people try to mimic to look like them. But they look quite different from the normal retro outfits that we have today in our 7.x clients. These outfits are special. They're looking more contrasted somehow. On many OTs you can actually use these outfit with the outfit IDs 127 and 126. Unfortunately, they are missing walking animations and you cannot change the colors either.

I found an old picture of CipSoft members and senior gamemasters messing around on the 6.98 test client. The outfits they had were similarly contrasted, but they could change their colors aswell.
steve123.png
I always admired this picture, and I was hoping one day to be able to get my hands on these outfits. But the 6.98 client does not exist anymore. The outfits are gone.
Until me and @ond decided to recreate them, so we could use them for our upcoming server.
We haven't really been able to quite make them exactly the same of course, but they are very similar.
They look like this (colored white).
3422.png
3482.png
We came to the conclusion that we wanted to release these outfit.
They are animated, and with the normal color palette from the normal retro outfits, you can also change the colors from white.
I only included the edited outfits in the uploaded file, because you already have the normal color palette on your server.

I hope some of you will value the rarity and nostalgia from these outfits.
Cheers!​

Attachments

• 6.98_outfits.rar
    218.5 KB · Views: 146 · VirusTotal
I like the outfits, one issue though: each of the walking animations and standing animation has a different level of brightness or contrast so the outfit "blinks" when you move. i think its only bugged on knight outfit and only on east and south facing animations.

Last edited:
I like the outfits, one issue though: each of the walking animations and standing animation has a different level of brightness or contrast so the outfit "blinks" when you move. i think its only bugged on knight outfit and only on east and south facing animations.
This issue happens on the Knight and GM outfits. I had the same contrast values on every single sprite, but unfortunately it looks like they're blinking when walking. If you check really carefully, you'll see that the standard version of those outfits are in fact blinking as well. It's just more prevalent after changing the contrast.
You can try to play with the contrast values yourself and see if you can fix it.

You can try to play with the contrast values yourself and see if you can fix it.

Yeah i guess it blinks a little bit on default too, maybe?

Do you remember what values you used for contrast? Did you change brightness too? Can't quite get them to look like you did
Is the screenshot you posted the only one that exists?

Last edited:
Yeah i guess it blinks a little bit on default too, maybe?

Do you remember what values you used for contrast? Did you change brightness too? Can't quite get them to look like you did
Is the screenshot you posted the only one that exists?
I don't remember the values unfortunately. It was one year ago.
You already have all the images of Knight outfit, they're in bmp format. Just edit them to your liking.

Those colored outfits are not from 6.98.
They come from the very first version of client 7 that was never published, so they only appear in screenshots of closed tests. Lord Ariakas seen on the pic was one of the guys who remade sprites and animations for new client. Cip later held an open test server of 7.0 too, on which though outfits already looked like those we know, except for the fact that fat knight had different 'head' (hair or hood-like instead of a helmet).
Meanwhile, when they were about to switch to a new client, they ensured the old one of version 6 would still be supported for some time after. For that they updated it to 6.97 and soon 6.98. That version was official and could be used interchangeably (despite missing some features) with new 7.0 client when it was already released. In that 6.98 client all outfits looked like those 'dead bodies' (no colors), probably to avoid any compatibility issues. They never had animations because it was still client 6 which had no walking-animation support whatsoever.

Last edited:
Those colored outfits are not from 6.98.
They come from the very first version of client 7 that was never published, so they only appear in screenshots of closed tests. Lord Ariakas seen on the pic was one of the guys who remade sprites and animations for new client. Cip later held an open test server of 7.0 too, on which though outfits already looked like those we know, except for the fact that fat knight had different 'head' (hair or hood-like instead of a helmet).
Meanwhile, when they were about to switch to a new client, they ensured the old one of version 6 would still be supported for some time after. For that they updated it to 6.97 and soon 6.98. Those versions were official and could be used interchangeably (despite missing some features) with new 7.0 client when it was already released. In that 6.98 client all outfits looked like those 'dead bodies' (no colors), probably to avoid any compatibility issues. They never had animations because it was still client 6 which had no walking-animation support.
If you read my post, I specifically say that they looked like the dead bodies in 6.98.
4197.png

4201.png
Thank you for your input though.
It seems plausible that those other outfits were part of another test inbetween the 6.98 version and 7.0 version.

Last edited:
If you read my post, I specifically say that they looked like the dead bodies in 6.98.

I did read your post. Those two outfits are from 6.98 (or rather two sprites), but you also said the pic of "Cip & friends" was from 6.98 too and that's what I was referring too. 6.98 was in fact an official client and it didn't have anything else but those two 'dead bodies' looks.
Those that you want are from the very first version of client 7, that was not published. Not that it matters much, just saying finding client labeled as 6.98 won't help. Only old GMs and counsellors that took part in the closed tests could help us, but as you said, it's probably long lost.

Last edited:
I did read your post. Those two outfits are from 6.98 (or rather two sprites), but you also said the pic of "Cip & friends" was from 6.98 too and that's what I was referring too. 6.98 was in fact an official client and it didn't have anything else but those two 'dead bodies' looks.
Those that you want are from the very first version of client 7, that was not published. Not that it matters much, just saying finding client labeled as 6.98 won't help. Only old GMs and counsellors that took part in the closed tests could help us, but as you said, it's probably long lost.
The sources I had referred to the 6.98 client. Those outfits might have been included in that client, but not used. I guess we will never know for sure.
What source do you have that they were part of an early version of 7.0 client?
Either way I've searched everywhere and couldn't find neither of those clients. The main reason for this thread was to bring back something long lost.

The sources I had referred to the 6.98 client. Those outfits might have been included in that client, but not used. I guess we will never know for sure.
What source do you have that they were part of an early version of 7.0 client?
Either way I've searched everywhere and couldn't find neither of those clients. The main reason for this thread was to bring back something long lost.

You can read archieved news on tibia.com and compare dates with screenshots of Dark Gladir drive for example (his pics even mention what I said, but guess that might be wrong, so I'm referring to dates). Update to 6.97/6.98 was official and it came AFTER the public tests of client 7.0 which already had the usual outfits (and only a few days before it was allowed for global too). It also couldn't have new outfits because client 6 didn't support walking animation (hence no animation for 'dead-bodies').
Closed tests with gamemasters and councellors happened ~3 months earlier and that is most likely where those contrasted outfits were from. Clients 6.97/6.98 were the last versions of 6, released specially to make the old client compatible with new one. Cip thought the new client would be too new for some people computers so they let use both. 🤭
Since in new client you could choose between 4 outfits for each sex, I'm guessing they ran into a compatibility issue, so they just made the old client show one of those 2 sprites for every outfit, with no colors changing.

Either way, good effort retrieving that stuff. I've seen pics in Divinum thread and they look really cool. Altough I can see why Cip actually changed them.

Btw in cip files there's a monster named "human" with a look of that HP icon you've posted and summoning it causes client to crash :p

Last edited:
Hello folks.
At a certain point of time, CipSoft had a test server -- client version 6.98. Since the client is so old and since it was not an official client, it has now been long forgotten and has disappeared into the abyss. I couldn't find a trace of it anywhere.

A major part of the testing of that client was to introduce the new outfits (the ones that we now know as "oldschool/retro" outfits, released at client version 7.0). Before that, the outfits were from the client versions pre-6.0.
They were looking like this.
View attachment 34207
View attachment 34208
View attachment 34209
View attachment 34210
Some of you may recognize these outfits.
They are actually the basis of how dead female corpse and dead male corpse look like.
View attachment 34212
View attachment 34216
In fact, they've become quite popular and many people try to mimic to look like them. But they look quite different from the normal retro outfits that we have today in our 7.x clients. These outfits are special. They're looking more contrasted somehow. On many OTs you can actually use these outfit with the outfit IDs 127 and 126. Unfortunately, they are missing walking animations and you cannot change the colors either.

I found an old picture of CipSoft members and senior gamemasters messing around on the 6.98 test client. The outfits they had were similarly contrasted, but they could change their colors aswell.
View attachment 34217
I always admired this picture, and I was hoping one day to be able to get my hands on these outfits. But the 6.98 client does not exist anymore. The outfits are gone.
Until me and @ond decided to recreate them, so we could use them for our upcoming server.
We haven't really been able to quite make them exactly the same of course, but they are very similar.
They look like this (colored white).
View attachment 34218
View attachment 34220
We came to the conclusion that we wanted to release these outfit.
They are animated, and with the normal color palette from the normal retro outfits, you can also change the colors from white.
I only included the edited outfits in the uploaded file, because you already have the normal color palette on your server.

I hope some of you will value the rarity and nostalgia from these outfits.
Cheers!​
nice release thank you a lot

The outfits in your screenshot look strangely nice. Thank you for your contribution!

Red

Wouldn´t it be possible to extract those sprites from the actual client? I doubt that the clients are lost

Wouldn´t it be possible to extract those sprites from the actual client? I doubt that the clients are lost

The old knight outfit I extracted from the actual test server client. The outfit doesn't appear in any other client, and it wasn't that easy to find.
Those that Kaspar wanted to retrieve were only present in earlier closed test server and that client is probably impossible to get, unless you have a contact with old GMs.

Thanks for the contribution @Kaspar and @ond
Never seen those outfits before in 15~ years, so it's nice to see them!

The old knight outfit I extracted from the actual test server client. The outfit doesn't appear in any other client, and it wasn't that easy to find.
Those that Kaspar wanted to retrieve were only present in earlier closed test server and that client is probably impossible to get, unless you have a contact with old GMs.

Has anyone checked the actual clients that were released? I mean you could perhaps find them, cipsoft did hide some unused or old sprites on newer clients?

Back