• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Implemented RSS feed problem

peXu

Untitled.png
Reaction score
What's going on with RSS feeds on Otland? I was subscribed to https://otland.net/forums/server-gala.43/index.rss but after a while it started responding to my feed reader with 503. So I used Google's Feedburner as a kind of proxy and it was working again for some time but now it seems that even Feedburner is getting 503 from Otland (can be checked with feed validator - as @Alpha noticed, that website is just broken). Can it be that the Otland's server is misconfigured and it's blocking IPs of RSS readers that are subscribed to the feeds?

1623185100602.png

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Your feed validator link gives a 404
True, seems like that validation website is no longer working, I used that link because that's what Feedburner suggested as a tool to verify feeds. Didn't even notice that it's a different domain than feedburners. I'll delete that part from my post then.

Still, when trying to add the feed to feedburner I'm getting the error I attached in first post, that's saying it's receiving 503 when fetching (and that wasn't happening when I first added the feed).

Here's a screenshot of full FeedBurner's page (the "Confirm its validity now" link was pointing to that tool that as you noticed is no longer working).

1623188073819.png

However, as I said at the beginning, before using Feedburner I was subscribed to the feed directly and the same thing happend (after few days of everything working fine I started getting 503 responses), so I don't believe it's an issue with Feedburner or any other feed reader.

@EDIT:

Used different RSS reader and got more specific error when fetching the feed:
1623264198392.png

So I guess Cloudflare is the the culprit. I don't think RSS feeds should be protected by Cloudflare that way @Don Daniello .

Last edited:
The issue persists. This is definitely caused by misconfigured Cloudflare, most likely because of "Bot Fight Mode" setting.

It would be really awesome to be able to subscribe OtLand's RSS feeds...

This bug is a feature. As you noticed, everything is protected by Cloudflare and automated (bots) fetching of any URL may be blocked. We don't fully control that but I'll tinker with some settings to see what can be done.

The funny thing is he actually wants it for a bot. it was used for a bot posting all new server advertisement threads in a discord.

So probably the bot protection is working as intended and u shouldnt adjust it.

The funny thing is he actually wants it for a bot. it was used for a bot posting all new server advertisement threads in a discord.

So probably the bot protection is working as intended and u shouldnt adjust it.
Have you ever heard about RSS before? The whole point of it is that feed is supposed to be periodically polled by a program (e.g. rss reader or feed aggregator). It's basically made for "bots". You can read some more about it on Wikipedia.

This bug is a feature. As you noticed, everything is protected by Cloudflare and automated (bots) fetching of any URL may be blocked. We don't fully control that but I'll tinker with some settings to see what can be done.
Right, it's understandable that the traffic generated by RSS reader/aggregator is recognized as a bot and blocked by the general rule. That's why I was hoping it can be adjusted somehow to allow this traffic on *.rss paths. Otherwise, XenForo's RSS feature is pretty much useless :(. Thanks for looking into it!

It is likely going to work now without restrictions, although I can't guarantee we'll be able to leave it like that.
Never know when someone finds a way to abuse this.

Back