• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Salvus Mapping | Newbie

Salvus

Solutions
Reaction score
I've never mapped before. This is the first time I have tried to map.
We'll see if I managed to do something nice, follow along on the journey xD

The purpose of this mapping is to build a whole new map

Temple/DP
City
50 Hunting places
25 Quests
10 Bosses
Sure something more, but we will fix it on the way

I will post the map for free later when it's done.
---------------------------------------------------
We start by mapping a temple/dp

Namnlöstesttest.png

Since you never mapped before, i will give you some small tips to think of while you are mapping.

1. Play around with autoborder as you do right now, but try slowly progress to using RAW.
2. Dont make buildings so square, they look very dull and boring when they are just straight lines.
3. actually tip nr.2 is pretty much for everything you map.. paths, mountains, houses, caves and more.

The more you map, the easier you will find sprites and know what sprites you have at your disposal.
and when that is, you will have a much easier time to decorate and get the scenery that "feeling".

feedback on your first pic, I think its way to square, decoration and interior placement is a bit wierd and noobish, makes sence since you are new to it ;)
the chess like tiles should go one more square down, now it just look wierd.

bonus tip, Try watch other mappers maps, just analyze them and you will learn a lot from it.
We have some great mappers here on OTland, so there are tons of inspiration to gather.

nice to see you starting with mapping, its a lot of fun and i hope that you continue with it and find it joyful.
Will follow your progress :)

are these custom sprites or newer sprites? :eek:

As Andreew pointed out, have a look at some other mappers pieces, maybe even duplicate them if you can - you'll learn a lot about shapes and detailing that way..

But nice to see some more mappers joining here.

Since you never mapped before, i will give you some small tips to think of while you are mapping.

1. Play around with autoborder as you do right now, but try slowly progress to using RAW.
2. Dont make buildings so square, they look very dull and boring when they are just straight lines.
3. actually tip nr.2 is pretty much for everything you map.. paths, mountains, houses, caves and more.

The more you map, the easier you will find sprites and know what sprites you have at your disposal.
and when that is, you will have a much easier time to decorate and get the scenery that "feeling".

feedback on your first pic, I think its way to square, decoration and interior placement is a bit wierd and noobish, makes sence since you are new to it ;)
the chess like tiles should go one more square down, now it just look wierd.

bonus tip, Try watch other mappers maps, just analyze them and you will learn a lot from it.
We have some great mappers here on OTland, so there are tons of inspiration to gather.

nice to see you starting with mapping, its a lot of fun and i hope that you continue with it and find it joyful.
Will follow your progress :)
This guy really know what he's talking about!
Keep it up!

@Andréew Thanks for the nice text, I really needed it.
I have made another attempt. Would love to hear what you think of this one.
Nice to hear something so good from such a great mapper!

@GhostX

It's new sprites.
Someone had uploaded RME for 11.00 client with new sprites

@Dreww Yeah i know, he's a savage mapper. I've been following him for a while. ^^
Thanks Dreww!

test dp23.png

test dp2.png

It looks better indeed, walls are better, a little bit more decorations on the walls would be a + ;)
but overall the building is nice.
more details on the grass is needed tho.

One thing i feel is a bit wierd, is the bookshelfs on the left.. just looks wierd having them as a wall, adding a second wall behind it and something to fill the space like ( mountain id: 919 ?, i think thats the id. or something else that shares the same purpose like id: 23609..)

Now i dont have them new fancy sprites cuz im to f**king noob to figure that shit out ;)
but i made a little something just to kind of show what i mean.
The red walls are the bookshelf's... anyone can see that, nah but imagine they are okey? :D

McO9CGR.png

now i would like to belive there is a more suitable fit then 919 and 23609 but i dont really know about the new sprites tho..

cheers mate!

@Andréew
Thanks. I'm actually starting to like it. Saw something was missing at the bookshelf but didn't know what, thank you. xD
Focused on Temple, has not really started with the grass and the rest of the city.
Thank you for taking the time to show me how I would do.

test2.png
@GhostX & @Andréew If u want the the sprites follow this.
To get them new sprites I just downloaded from the new project (OtservBR)
They have a github with clients and tools you will found RME 11+ With new spirtes there.

( In Game pictures. )Was inspired by @scheisse so I started doing something similar.
Now almost everything is ready near the water So it's time to start with the Cave under the city.test13.png

test1.png

test.png

( In Game pictures. )Was inspired by @scheisse so I started doing something similar.
Now almost everything is ready near the water So it's time to start with the Cave under the city.View attachment 38341

View attachment 38340

View attachment 38339
Not a huge fan of the water used with the waterfalls BUT i can see why you have used the darker water as it fits the atmosphere you're trying to create.

Overall, the map is not bad - could do with some details on the streets, the odd bit of gravel maybe, small stones, maybe mix some dirt patches into the cobblestone where it meets the waters edge in some places as if it has "worn away".

For a new mapper, they aren't bad at all.

You're last image, where the wall is "broken", i would make a box of those walls behind it so it doesn't show the water through it, otherwise it looks like there is nothing supporting the ground above.

Nice job overall though - keep it up

Not a huge fan of the water used with the waterfalls BUT i can see why you have used the darker water as it fits the atmosphere you're trying to create.

Overall, the map is not bad - could do with some details on the streets, the odd bit of gravel maybe, small stones, maybe mix some dirt patches into the cobblestone where it meets the waters edge in some places as if it has "worn away".

For a new mapper, they aren't bad at all.

You're last image, where the wall is "broken", i would make a box of those walls behind it so it doesn't show the water through it, otherwise it looks like there is nothing supporting the ground above.

Nice job overall though - keep it up

Yes, the focus was close to the water, has not started with the town yet that's why the streets is clean just now xD.
So have fixed the broken wall and also built a cave under the town

You can swim in the water and when you swim on the water vortex you will get tp -1 floor and get alot of more hunting there. (Unfinished)

TtVsnO6.png

NGlywgR.png

kxcoq44.png

Yes, the focus was close to the water, has not started with the town yet that's why the streets is clean just now xD.
So have fixed the broken wall and also built a cave under the town

You can swim in the water and when you swim on the water vortex you will get tp -1 floor and get alot of more hunting there. (Unfinished)

TtVsnO6.png

NGlywgR.png

kxcoq44.png

Please enlighten this swag please

Don’t understand what do yo mean mate. What swag?
I was just messing with you because i didn't like the combination of the ground with the mountains...

Anyways you're doing okay for a 'newbie'.

I can give you 4 hints
- Make it less squary (it has been said before, but i guess you need to take this advice more). Your heading in the right way.

- Details. You got great landscape, but you got barely details outside the groundmix. Try checking the nature/trash/exterior/magic fields or something to enchance your piece... and ofcourse 'others' but that will take some time to know all the items it's place +/-

- 'Detail the details' For example on one of your screens you 1 single big grass tufts.. Try to make it look more naturally by 'grouping' them like the tuft spride out from the source... same with bushes/tree's and stuff.. Ofcourse do not overdo it. Nature has no rules but stuff can look very unnatural ingame if you do not watch...

- Some pieces do not have to be fluid, like a building, ofcourse some shapes and architecture can smoothen it up..

The best way is to turn off autoborder as you focus more on every tile compared to some brush that you can sweep with..
If you do not want to or can't or whatever...

Build the base with autoborder, add details manually and improve some bad autoborder shapes smoothen them/fix them up...

Animera

Attachments

• Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM 001.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 11 · VirusTotal
  • Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM 002.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM 002.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 11 · VirusTotal
  • Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM 003.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM 003.PNG
    79.5 KB · Views: 10 · VirusTotal
  • Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.25 PM.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 12 · VirusTotal
  • Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.26 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-19-19 at 09.26 PM.PNG
    108.9 KB · Views: 10 · VirusTotal
I was just messing with you because i didn't like the combination of the ground with the mountains...

Anyways you're doing okay for a 'newbie'.

I can give you 4 hints
- Make it less squary (it has been said before, but i guess you need to take this advice more). Your heading in the right way.

- Details. You got great landscape, but you got barely details outside the groundmix. Try checking the nature/trash/exterior/magic fields or something to enchance your piece... and ofcourse 'others' but that will take some time to know all the items it's place +/-

- 'Detail the details' For example on one of your screens you 1 single big grass tufts.. Try to make it look more naturally by 'grouping' them like the tuft spride out from the source... same with bushes/tree's and stuff.. Ofcourse do not overdo it. Nature has no rules but stuff can look very unnatural ingame if you do not watch...

- Some pieces do not have to be fluid, like a building, ofcourse some shapes and architecture can smoothen it up..

The best way is to turn off autoborder as you focus more on every tile compared to some brush that you can sweep with..
If you do not want to or can't or whatever...

Build the base with autoborder, add details manually and improve some bad autoborder shapes smoothen them/fix them up...

Animera

Changed the mountains, do you like the combination now?
Will surely hear it 100 times. Because I'm F**KING BLIND! xD
I Changed the "swag" xD
MAYBE abit better, lets see what you think @Animera
Also tried to remove the square xD

Thanks I need to hear from people what I'm doing wrong so I get better

9M15ydi.png

MPbhius.png

It looks less squary now! that's great. At some point you will make crazy shapes if you get more experienced with it :)

and the amount of details is also works good!

But i still have a issue with your 'swag' and not just because of the mountain, but the whole colour scheme in general as the grass feels like having a different contrast with the other stuff on the spawn... Maybe it's just me...

but i just don't like the mix of water monsters, with some mossy grass with undead tree
brown+grassy mountains, 2 different grass tufts colors... and some even on top of each other o.o... even grass tufts on a tree o..o and some other spider webs, mushrooms and other random stuff?

Try to keep it 1 theme..

Take more time to think about the details, which monsters you gonna add there?, what colour scheme your items will have +/- and if it's blendable with some other colours (if needed), what element? etc. I feel now like a geodude in a dive spawn.

And think about the placement of the details, some stuff blocks path, some doesn't so you can overdo some details(that blocks path like bug mushrooms) easier on a spaceious room. or place them against the wall

Same with the stone gravel, i would prefer patches of small stone gravels then just 1 big one, depends on the situation ofcourse...

Also fix these things VVVVVV on smaller 'moss grass ground patches' it often looks bad to have mountain mixing in it again if you cannot give it a decent shape so i guess u better be off without that 2 sqm square...

Your heading in the right way :)

Animera

P.S. Check also mapping works of others on the forum, there are quite some people that do it better as i do!

Attachments

might help for mountains - if you want to map w/o autoborder press 'a' when loading a map - you can check it is off (unchecked) by going into 'edit' 'border options' 'border automagic'

That looks so much better my friend! Eiserne has a good point! Tho i dont always use it, mostly i do but not all the time, kind of depends you know.

But shape looks good mate! You are getting there!

Back