• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

SAS HDD or SSD disk while hosting a game server?

What would you choose?

• Total voters
I doubt people want to do major reworks to their engines just so they dont pay for SSD and go with much cheaper HDD. My messages are regarding our current source code in tfs 1.3

The discussion isn’t about what people will, can and want to do.

But I do agree, SSD is for 99.99% case-scenario the way to go, and what I would recommend to every normal person.
You can load DBs to memory with GIS-data, which causes very heavy load. So I know this wouldn’t be a problem for TFS if used properly.

Sure with current code it probably isn’t plausible, but with changes it could be and it probably would be a improvement. Unless your on a potato-server which causes crashes all the time, but then the data that is loaded to memory in current TFS state is lost anyway.

The discussion isn’t about what people will, can and want to do.

But I do agree, SSD is for 99.99% case-scenario the way to go, and what I would recommend to every normal person.
You can load DBs to memory with GIS-data, which causes very heavy load. So I know this wouldn’t be a problem for TFS if used properly.

Sure with current code it probably isn’t plausible, but with changes it could be and it probably would be a improvement. Unless your on a potato-server which causes crashes all the time, but then the data that is loaded to memory in current TFS state is lost anyway.
Allright, apprechiate the talk. I'll use SSD drives from now on, I allways use alot of ram for my servers, depending on what I do I use around as a minimum of 8GB if it's just for me to work on it, right now I use a 4GB machine but that's because I can instantly get more ram once I need it.
Thanks, really. Apprechiate the talk.
This is equal to asking, should we use a slingshot to kill a mamooth or a mamooth-made-killing-machine-from-thousands-of-alien-years-of-research-comon-just-use-it
This was not a question for people to say anything in this style, It was just a thing to learn myself and what it does and why. It's because a company didn't support SSD drives atm so I wanted to ask out here to see if my information was correct. I linked a post where I read about things and it made me wounder so just wanted to gather more information..

Allright, apprechiate the talk. I'll use SSD drives from now on, I allways use alot of ram for my servers, depending on what I do I use around as a minimum of 8GB if it's just for me to work on it, right now I use a 4GB machine but that's because I can instantly get more ram once I need it.
Thanks, really. Apprechiate the talk.

This was not a question for people to say anything in this style, It was just a thing to learn myself and what it does and why. It's because a company didn't support SSD drives atm so I wanted to ask out here to see if my information was correct. I linked a post where I read about things and it made me wounder so just wanted to gather more information..

Just google yourFirstOption vs yourSecondOption or whyFirstOption is better than mySecondOption.

1590179611815.png

Back