• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

scratchAll Custom Spells/Vocations VS. Original Only

What do you prefer for custom map, low/mid rate PVP/RPG Servers?

• Only custom spells/vocations

• Only original spells/vocations

• Original spells with extra custom spells/promotions

Results are only viewable after voting.

Homeslice

-anoyn/Rage the Mage
Solutions
Reaction score
I' working on an RPG/PVP Low rate, custom map server and this question comes to mind.

Do you prefer completely custom spells/vocations or originals?

IMO Most servers which try custom only spells end up with bland, annoying to use spells and imbalanced/unnecessary vocations.

Ive played a ton of servers with repetitive spells, imbalanced vocations and a tiny spell library, usually forcing players to use the same few attack spells for pretty much every situation which is boring.

I would think original spells with extra custom spells/promotions would be better than only having custom spells.

What do you guys think? What do you prefer?

Custom spells only. You already know that the problem is the custom spells being repetitive and there usually being few of them, and you can fix that and get something like deathzot.

Definitely original spells and vocations.

The point is, every content should be properly done, using some poorly designed server as an example isn't a good reason not to do it.

it has to be with a system in mind tho... certain rl tibia spells are fine to have (like magic rope & light spells for example)

Im leaning to use original spells, remove some spells and replace with custom. Then each vocation has multiple promotions with further spells.

Mods feel free to fix thread title if you are passing by.

a big thing is making your spells feel special and not just "look i rescripted this ultimate explosion spell 50X and you unlock a new special looking ue every 100 levels"
deathzot, xdc & archlight are good examples of that ..

Yea bland spells suck. Especially when its basically in 10 levels you get a spell better in every way so you will never use it again.

also sucks when there is no spell rotation and you just mash heal and attack. Spells with higher cds like exori gran/max frigo make you feel like you are playing instead of grinding.

Just always felt like it was a dumb thing to get caught up on. If the game is good it'll feel challenging. This comes down to regen/monster damage, nothing else.

Tibia's only goal is "don't die". Make it hard -not to- die. People want OT hosters to change spells/potions/regen to make it -easy- not more fun lol.

Which sucks, cause to me easy gameplay just involves grinding with no risk.

Harsh exp/loot penalties and the risk of dieing makes the game challenging and enjoyable.

There is definately a huge difference between the players of custom low rate servers and rl map bot/war servers that are dead within a month when a team leaves.

I've always felt that spells in tibia are super bland and have no character, nor require much thinking. They don't offer anything interesting, it's basically pretty much this:
1. You have your bread and butter, e.g. exori whatever (depends which monster you're hunting because of elemental resistances)
2. You have your generic AoE (exori, exevo gran mas whatever, wave, etc.)
3. You have a simple heal
4. You have a party buff spell
5. You have a self defense or self buff spell.

All 4 vocs are like this, they just deal with different elements. It's not wrong, it's just super boring and laid out as an array of very simple tools for each situation, which you use when appropriate.
There's not much thought to it, no comboing or mixing up your rotation depending on which outcome you want, just straight up spamming brainlessly.

I'd go with everything custom any day, but then again, it seems that many people have grown to enjoy being in that comfort zone of not having to think much when they play tibia/ots, so that's a thing to keep in mind.

Oldschool exhaust adds an interesting element, once you have to chose between attacking and healing because they share exhaust you got a totally new aspect that the player have to think of, there is a trade off. Sadly they dumbed down Tibia.

Shadowsong problem is most "custom" are just same what you said but changed names and damages?

Or perhaps you could give examples of new spells that can be made scripts but while still keeping it simple?

Shadowsong problem is most "custom" are just same what you said but changed names and damages?

Or perhaps you could give examples of new spells that can be made scripts but while still keeping it simple?

Sure, i can give a few examples off the top of my head, but it's this concept of "keeping it simple" that personally bothers me. Are people dumb not to be able to play anything other than spamming the same key?

But sure, here's a few simple ones:

1. Single target common damage spell that deals more damage the lower your HP is, with an emphasis on scaling better when you drop below 45% HP.

Very simple idea, yet changes how you play entirely. If you want max damage, then you gotta take the max risk and be at low HP during a fight.

2. Create a time node that lasts 6 seconds, remembering your HP, Mana, and position.
While the time node exists, you may cast this spell again to return to that moment.

This would probably have a longer cooldown, but could serve numerous purposes - safety (during combat or exploration), value potential (spend as many resources are you can during the 6 seconds, then revert back to where your resources are full), kiting and juking a monster or a player in pvp, etc.

3. When this spell is casted, for 10 seconds, all attacks and spells you do count as if they were performed from behind the target.
So what would this do? It's a simple spell, but allows you to change how an entire vocation plays by adding other spells that revolve around said mechanic, e.g.

Single target melee spell, deals 40% more damage if standing behind the target.
Stun a target for 2 seconds, making them unable to perform actions or turn around.
Attach a bomb to the target's back, which explodes after 4 seconds dealing a ton of damage. Can only be casted from behind the target.

I mean, it all comes down to creating a concept, then the ideas are endless. There's so much that can be done when tying things together and making the entire set of spells work in combination with each other, or even spells of other vocations to encourage party combos.

Sure, i can give a few examples off the top of my head, but it's this concept of "keeping it simple" that personally bothers me. Are people dumb not to be able to play anything other than spamming the same key?

But sure, here's a few simple ones:

1. Single target common damage spell that deals more damage the lower your HP is, with an emphasis on scaling better when you drop below 45% HP.

Very simple idea, yet changes how you play entirely. If you want max damage, then you gotta take the max risk and be at low HP during a fight.

2. Create a time node that lasts 6 seconds, remembering your HP, Mana, and position.
While the time node exists, you may cast this spell again to return to that moment.

This would probably have a longer cooldown, but could serve numerous purposes - safety (during combat or exploration), value potential (spend as many resources are you can during the 6 seconds, then revert back to where your resources are full), kiting and juking a monster or a player in pvp, etc.

3. When this spell is casted, for 10 seconds, all attacks and spells you do count as if they were performed from behind the target.
So what would this do? It's a simple spell, but allows you to change how an entire vocation plays by adding other spells that revolve around said mechanic, e.g.

Single target melee spell, deals 40% more damage if standing behind the target.
Stun a target for 2 seconds, making them unable to perform actions or turn around.
Attach a bomb to the target's back, which explodes after 4 seconds dealing a ton of damage. Can only be casted from behind the target.

I mean, it all comes down to creating a concept, then the ideas are endless. There's so much that can be done when tying things together and making the entire set of spells work in combination with each other, or even spells of other vocations to encourage party combos.

Cool ideas, this would definitely make spells more interesting to cast.

But that's not all, in my opinion what makes Cip Tibia spells boring af are the resource systems which are very stupid. Potions and runes make tibia stupid... these are some ancient old design that couldn't be changed in updates because how Tibia grew so tightly around it.

Basically you can't die unless: you get comboed to death or if you run out of resources, and that makes your skills as a player close to null while surviving. While there are skills involved in casting AoE and managing groups of creatures, the fact that you can stay alive as long as your money pays you and you have a single finger in your hand to hold down a hotkey is simply stupid.

Real MMO combat, as more modern games such as WoW and others have shown, involves in a fight that has a clear course: your life and mana is going down and you have to do something before it ends! Potions have very long cooldowns and variated skills helps you temporarily with it. This is what makes fights thriling and what lacks in Tibia.

That's why in my servers I always remade everything from scratch and ended runes. I also use SP costs on every spell to end the reliability of endless healing to try to create the feeling of more modern combat.

Cool ideas, this would definitely make spells more interesting to cast.

But that's not all, in my opinion what makes Cip Tibia spells boring af are the resource systems which are very stupid. Potions and runes make tibia stupid... these are some ancient old design that couldn't be changed in updates because how Tibia grew so tightly around it.

Basically you can't die unless: you get comboed to death or if you run out of resources, and that makes your skills as a player close to null while surviving. While there are skills involved in casting AoE and managing groups of creatures, the fact that you can stay alive as long as your money pays you and you have a single finger in your hand to hold down a hotkey is simply stupid.

Real MMO combat, as more modern games such as WoW and others have shown, involves in a fight that has a clear course: your life and mana is going down and you have to do something before it ends! Potions have very long cooldowns and variated skills helps you temporarily with it. This is what makes fights thriling and what lacks in Tibia.

That's why in my servers I always remade everything from scratch and ended runes. I also use SP costs on every spell to end the reliability of endless healing to try to create the feeling of more modern combat.

I agree with everything you say, definitely. The first thing I did as well was remove runes, and to remedy the potion issue I added a stacking cooldown on potions so that you can use 1 instantly, the next one you gotta wait 1 second to use, the next one you gotta wait 2, 4, etc. so that you have to think a bit when the right moment to use a potion is, instead of spamming them non stop. Another thing I added to monsters with strong combos is a warning tile which shows you where the spell is gonna hit before it fires, so that you have time to anticipate and prepare for it (either via dodging, popping a defensive item/spell, or even a spell that soaks then returns damage) etc.
Think I'm gonna apply this to PVP later on as well, so that it really takes skill to hit your spells, make CC matter more and so on.

Just passing to say that simplicity ~= dumb and complexity isn't always engaging and challenging. I belive a spell system can be interesting, and be skill dependent without making it too complex.

Back