• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

selfhosting

Floris

Reaction score
I have a nice computer

cpu 3.6 ghz
16 gb ram
500 gb harddisk

and my internet speed is 500/500 mbps, can I host at home?

If I were to buy this from a company It would cost me a lot more?

Is there a catch? Not unmetered?

Opinions please.

ofc you can host from home. but a single small ddos your server is dead. So you should invest into a proper hosting solution instead afaik OVH has nice discounts rn

I have a nice computer

cpu 3.6 ghz
16 gb ram
500 gb harddisk

and my internet speed is 500/500 mbps, can I host at home?

If I were to buy this from a company It would cost me a lot more?

Is there a catch? Not unmetered?

Opinions please.

While technically you can host and this piece of hardware would probably be enough for most servers, you should know that a computer itself does not work on its own. Like it was mentioned, one DDoS and you're probably going down. This is because your network is not protected enough and has a single point of failure (your router or even the ISP's edge router you're connected to), while hosting companies use redundant network connections and redundant LAN networks to ensure high availability of their services as well as commercial-grade firewalls (as in hardware firewalls at the edge of their local network, not software installed on computer) to protect their networks from attacks. They also let you use a lot of HA / redundancy features if needed, like IP fallbacks, bundling servers within a private LAN network to distribute your workload.

So while your machine and internet connection is fine to host a server from technical point of view, you'd need to implement all that stuff yourself, in your network, your infrastructure, to achieve quality offered by hosting companies. And no, making that will be far more expensive than just using a hosting service.

I will not recommend you any hosting company, because I think it would be advertising, since my company uses hosting services of one of the companies mentioned here already. But you can easily find yourself what suits you!

P.S. Just to make things clear, I'm by no means an infrastructure engineers, but I work with them a lot due to my job characteristics, so one could say I have decent knowledge of infrastructure and DevOps. So don't take anything I say here for granted.

Last edited:
I reccomend you to take spigu.net hosting service , Verry good one ! ;)
ovh.com vps ssd 1 package is the same thing as spigu.net its just much much cheaper and you get 5 gigs more hard drive space.

spigu.net = 12 months 20 x 12 = 240 euro / 260.99 usd
ovh.com = 12 months 2.99 x 12 = 35.88 euro / 41.88 usd

spigu.net 2 gig memory, 5 gig hard drive
ovh.com vps ssd 1 2 gig memory 10 gig hard drive

ovh's vps ssd 2 offers 4 gigs of memory and 20 gigs hard drive space for twice the price of vps ssd 1 and its vps ssd 3 offers 8 gig of memory and 40 gigs of hard drive space for less then twice the price of a vps ssd 2, all packages come with ddos protection and unlimited bandwidth.

And yes you can use this tutorial to setup your server with your own vps but it isn't necessary.
SIMPLE ALL IN ONE: From nothing to a fully working dedicated server on Ubuntu

Last edited:
ovh.com vps ssd 1 package is the same thing as spigu.net its just much much cheaper and you get 5 gigs more hard drive space.

spigu.net = 12 months 20 x 12 = 240 euro / 260.99 usd
ovh.com = 12 months 2.99 x 12 = 35.88 euro / 41.88 usd

spigu.net 2 gig memory, 5 gig hard drive
ovh.com vps ssd 1 2 gig memory 10 gig hard drive

ovh's vps ssd 2 offers 4 gigs of memory and 20 gigs hard drive space for twice the price of vps ssd 1 and its vps ssd 3 offers 8 gig of memory and 40 gigs of hard drive space for less then twice the price of a vps ssd 2, all packages come with ddos protection and unlimited bandwidth.

And yes you can use this tutorial to setup your server with your own vps but it isn't necessary.
SIMPLE ALL IN ONE: From nothing to a fully working dedicated server on Ubuntu
remember, @Don Daniello provides free support and installation for you + he offer alot of different TFS versions and source edits. Afaik he has like 0.4 with guild war system, and he also have tfs 1.1 with cast system (this one im not sure about)

remember, @Don Daniello provides free support and installation for you + he offer alot of different TFS versions and source edits. Afaik he has like 0.4 with guild war system, and he also have tfs 1.1 with cast system (this one im not sure about)
It is easy to host just about any tfs version without the help of Don.
All you do is follow the tutorial step by step and then when everything is setup, delete the build directory and files in the src and public_html directories and upload your own. If your server is pre-1.x then delete the database and install your schema.

To delete directories just type
Code:
rm -rf ./<name of directory>
To delete all files while in a directory
Code:
rm -rf ./*

You will also need to compile, while in the forgottenserver directory just type.
Code:
mkdir build && cd build && cmake .. && make

If you need to recompile
Code:
make

You can even use the start, stop, follow etc commands to run your server as if you were using the pre-installed one.

But as I said this tutorial isn't needed because linux is pretty easy to setup.

Last edited:
It is easy to host just about any tfs version without the help of Don.
All you do is follow the tutorial step by step and then when everything is setup, delete the build directory and files in the src and public_html directories and upload your own. If your server is pre-1.x then delete the database and install your schema.

To delete directories just type
Code:
rm -rf ./<name of directory>
To delete all files while in a directory
Code:
rm -rf ./*

You will also need to compile, while in the forgottenserver directory just type.
Code:
mkdir build && cd build && cmake .. && make

If you need to recompile
Code:
make

You can even use the start, stop, follow etc commands to run your server as if you were using the pre-installed one.

But as I said this tutorial isn't needed because linux is pretty easy to setup.
there is people who doesnt know or doesnt want to learn, there is also lazy people. If i was newbie, I would pick spigu rather than buying a host from a hosting provider.

there is people who doesnt know or doesnt want to learn, there is also lazy people. If i was newbie, I would pick spigu rather than buying a host from a hosting provider.

Well, then they should not host a server, for the good of players. They can of course do what they want, but if they are too lazy to READ (as in, you really don't have to learn it, you can just read stuff, make a file where you put all the important things / commands / info and work with that), then I can't see how their server is going to survive.

If you are a lazy person you should not be hosting a server.

Agreed.

Anyway guys, I think it's a bit off-topic now, the server is up and running and the question was about running a server on hardware spec given. In addition it was mentioned why it's bad idea. I think the topic was exhausted.

Back