• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Server lags when login/logout with a lot of items - time to fix it!

The people who are willing to test things are usually devs that don't own large servers. The people who own large servers are usually busy with keeping them up (making updates, fixing bugs, etc). The problem is that nobody really wants to keep an unstable server and nobody wants to play one either. Unstable server = losing players. Nobody wants to lose players when so few are still playing.

If we were to run some experimental server, it would have to have some thing to keep people interested. Pretty hard to do that nowadays.
So maybe its a time that Otland staff should host an official test server and invite people from community/forum who are interested in testing stuff? If there's some stress test needed with larger group of people they could announce it here on forum few days before. The main problem is that who's gonna pay for that server. But maybe somebody on this forum have a free space for test serv...

So maybe its a time that Otland staff should host an official test server and invite people from community/forum who are interested in testing stuff? If there's some stress test needed with larger group of people they could announce it here on forum few days before. The main problem is that who's gonna pay for that server. But maybe somebody on this forum have a free space for test serv...

Assuming we find someone to host the server, what is your plan to make people stay? We need activity on the server to get results.

Assuming we find someone to host the server, what is your plan to make people stay? We need activity on the server to get results.
It could maybe be done similar to Tibia's tournament events? Like a mix between that and how Path of Exile does their leagues (but without new content). I'm not sure how much work would have to go into a server like that to garner enough interest for people to return every few weeks though.

But assuming that people do return to play it a couple of days every few weeks, that could be one possible solution 🤔

It could maybe be done similar to Tibia's tournament events? Like a mix between that and how Path of Exile does their leagues (but without new content). I'm not sure how much work would have to go into a server like that to garner enough interest for people to return every few weeks though.

But assuming that people do return to play it a couple of days every few weeks, that could be one possible solution 🤔

I don't know how it looks today, but a few years ago I remember that very few people were random players. Most were organized into guilds that were travelling between servers to compete with other guilds so an interesting platform would have to be delivered that would be playable in both situations - no guilds and lots of guilds.

To produce interesting results for that item system, a small war server could be interesting with:
  • relatively easy to catch up with top players exp system
  • characters that save
  • an economy in which players would gather lots of items in depots
  • game balanced around pvp (I have no experience regarding this one)

Last edited:
I don't know how it looks today, but a few years ago I remember that very few people were random players. Most were organized into guilds that were travelling between servers to compete with other guilds so an interesting platform would have to be delivered that would be playable in both situations - no guilds and lots of guilds.

To produce interesting results for that item system, a small war server could be interesting with:
  • relatively easy to catch up with top players exp system
  • characters that save
  • an economy in which players would gather lots of items in depots
  • game balanced around pvp (I have no experience regarding this one)
I see. Yeah, a war server might be the most natural fit. I think there would have to be either resets or limited play windows (say a week per month or similar) for it to have any chance of keeping players around; A continuous server with (presumably) frequent crashes would IMO likely be short-lived.

Do you know whether any of the TFS developers have reached out to any active server (50+ players~?) owners? It might be possible for one (or several) of them to run a test server for a limited amount of time when there is a batch of new changes in TFS that need testing.

Back