• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Server specs] What kind of a conf.?

GM Sp00n

Reaction score
Right now I'm running TFS on a W2K3 platform only. Apache, the database and the gameserver is running on it. When approaching 450+ players, the server begins to lag. (duhhh)

So, solution: put apache and the database on a linux server. But what kind of hardware do you guys propose I use? The database use is 50% read and 50% write, right? Once a player logs in their data gets readed from the DB, once he/she logs out the data is inserted again? Or how does it actually work? This is because the more reads: the more caching is possible, more writes equals less caching. Our DB size is 400MB right now and growing.

So when looking @ CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. What would you guys propose I use?

Not that I know much about this, since I havent had so many players online that the computer has bothered me (since XML).

I believe that otservers theese days don't require much CPU, but they like to have a good ammount of RAM reserved. Having much RAM will make it easier for the processor to retrieve information more quicky, if you don't got enough RAM reserved it will start to swap between RAM and the hardriver, which in many cases will slow the server down.

When having many players online, I would always prefer a error-free console/gui display, as repeatly errors in some cases will raise CPU usage.

But I would recomand you to take a look at THIS Thread. You could for an example clear inactive users from your database. This may help you a little to increase the performance of your server.

If you cant find it, have a look at THIS and THIS post.

It shows how to delete etc

inactive players that has been inactive for XX days.
Only delete inactive players that are less level than XX(X).

You can also remove all their items that was saved to their chars, I think it is done automatic by triggers, but just to be sure we got that command as well.

You can execute theese commands in the SQL section on phpmyadmin if your using for an example xampp apache/mysql hosting.

Else than that its just to browse around for commands, compare some commands and make your own ones, your choise.

Why without triggers? Triggers is sometghing that is being used by the latest SQL servers from TFS, for storing skills etc.

Asus Intel core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 2,77Ghz)
4Gb Ram (Going to add 4Gb ram soon so it will get 8Gb)
bus speed: 1333 Mhz
L2 Cache Size: 12 MB
L2 Cache Speed: 2.66 GHz
Hard disk: 1TB

i used "Bots" to test how mutch player capasity it can handle before it lags at 560 bots it started the lagg (internet speed see below). i used 8 computers from diferent places in the country to test it.

I'v scripted the bots to use exactly like a normale player would use of aplication.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom