• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Servers this days

Nokturno

Not a human
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello. I have this question that i cant get rid off

Does ppl still play something else than cipsoft map?

Im doing a project with a custom map with kinda low exp
But when i go to search at otservlist all those servers are dead.

Every server is like x400 sh@t .
Thats why literally i quit years ago, but it doesnt look like it had change a bit...

No custom maps, no low exp servers. Tps everywhere. Unbalanced classes. Vip items. Fast attack x9999. Whatf@ckdude

Sorry4myenglish

Last edited:
I have one custom server based on 7.4, it doesn't work anymore. Medivia already has all the players you could get

I have several arguments to prove you my point, besides years of experience within this server.
Trust me in this, custom servers are dead.

Whatever you do, no matter how original, people will always tend to compare with other servers and they don't even try it before criticizing, the crowded servers already set the pattern and whoever walk away from it have lower chances of having more than 20 players active.

Don't need to argue very much. Is just see what type of servers make success and what types don't.

I have several arguments to prove you my point, besides years of experience within this server.

Whatever you do, no matter how original, people will always tend to compare with other servers and they don't even try it before criticizing, the crowded servers already set the pattern and whoever walk away from it have lower chances of having more than 20 players active.

I'll give you one more chance to read this right and truly understand what I meant. I've never said the problem is the competition, the problem is that the public isn't open minded. The best custom servers I've seen didn't worked just simply because there's no public. People like numbers, wars, using bot to level faster and kill everyone that plays legally and exploring bugs. If your server doesn't have that, it really don't matter what it haves different.

I've designed several systems that people never thought could be possible, most of the people that discovered it was amazed at first glance. Yet, my server is empty; I'm not whining because of that, it's just the truth. No matter how good you are, how good you treat your public. All they care is being ahead of the others.

You are always free to disagree with me, but if you plan to have a good server soon you'll understand that I'm right.

People like numbers, wars, using bot to level faster and kill everyone that plays legally and exploring bugs. If your server doesn't have that, it really don't matter what it haves different.
yep i agree with this.

if you search otservlist, the top 10 servers are x400 and rl map

medivia its a good server but they implement paid spells like cipsoft and im not into that kind of stuff

Saying new custom servers don't stand a chance, is the same as saying new businesses shouldn't be found, because the competition is too overwhelming

thats true but the community is so small these days that is harder to acomplish more than 50 players

Last edited:
medivia its a good server but they implement paid spells like cipsoft and im not into that kind of stuff
Unfortunately Open Tibia has become a business, but for those that do work hard on a project why shouldn't they make a little cash for their effort?
Everyone in the business world will tell you that time is money.
Hosting isn't free nor is any of the security or stability required to host a server.

thats true but the community is so small these days that is harder to acomplish more than 50 players
Otland isn't the only community, there are others out there and although they may not all be in english they do exist and are just as if not more healthy and this is why a lot of people still build these servers. Not just for the money but for the recognition.

Well I still work on my project even if the majority of players won't find it appealing. It's not about having 200 players or making money, I just do what I enjoy and I hope that, just like with my last project Thronar, many people enjoy what I also still enjoy in this game.

Wrong.

The reason custom servers have no players is most custom servers are complete and utter shit.

If you make something with even MINIMAL content, you can easily get 50-200 players online.

To test this theory, Me and Xagulz came up with Bitzot. We literally made the dumbest, most worthless, piece of crap, full custom server possible.

But we included the following:
  1. A NPC to buy/sell all supplies
  2. Monsters that got progressively harder as you got further away from town.
  3. Relatively fast level progression.
  4. Bosses before reaching the next area.
  5. Different vocations with new abilities.
That's it, and the map was also a total piece of crap.

I would bet you could make a square house, put the Depot, Temple, and Shop all on different floors.
Then just have a Single Strip of green grass heading south, and the farther south you go, the harder monsters there are, and boom 50 players online on custom map.

It isn't hard, just most custom servers are terribly made, confusing, over-complicated, or terribly advertised.

Wrong.

The reason custom servers have no players is most custom servers are complete and utter shit.

If you make something with even MINIMAL content, you can easily get 50-200 players online.

To test this theory, Me and Xagulz came up with Bitzot. We literally made the dumbest, most worthless, piece of crap, full custom server possible.

I would bet you could make a square house, put the Depot, Temple, and Shop all on different floors.
Then just have a Single Strip of green grass heading south, and the farther south you go, the harder monsters there are, and boom 50 players online on custom map.

It isn't hard, just most custom servers are terribly made, confusing, over-complicated, or terribly advertised.

"confusing, over-complicated" This.

Wrong.

I'm not sure I'd want to play this, and I'm sure I wouldn't want people that would find that enjoyable playing my project. While the majority of the community can't appreciate some well done and thought content, since they simply don't care or even notice the blatant flaws within cip tibia's design, I'd much rather cater to the people who share the same views as me.

What I see as the major flaw within custom servers are that they are almost always incomplete and very badly advertised (mine included). It's pretty hard to find a worthy team of people who won't just disappear, and making good content is complicated work, things teenagers don't care about and wouldn't think twice before abandoning.

Well I still work on my project even if the majority of players won't find it appealing. It's not about having 200 players or making money, I just do what I enjoy and I hope that, just like with my last project Thronar, many people enjoy what I also still enjoy in this game.
If only we had more people like you

. . .

This, exactly this. Most people don't know how to manage a community, a solid team of skilled dedicated developers or how to market a 'product'.
I mean, don't expect to have 100+ at launch when your advertisement thread is full of spelling errors, widespread overused features and a cheap appearance in general.

D e d i c a t i o n

Last edited:
This, exactly this. Most people don't know how to manage a community, a solid team of skilled dedicated developers or how to market a 'product'.
I mean, don't expect to have 100+ at launch when your advertisement thread is full of spelling errors, widespread overused features and a cheap appearance in general.

Agree

Unfortunately Open Tibia has become a business, but for those that do work hard on a project why shouldn't they make a little cash for their effort?

But the game shudnt be designed pay2win, in my case a rather sell outfits or mounts instead of game advantage

But the game shudnt be designed pay2win, in my case a rather sell outfits or mounts instead of game advantage

To be honest, I only do stuff for my project when I have some free time. It's something I do because I enjoy it, it's a hobby so I don't really expect getting paid for it.

For my advertising I paid three days at otserverlist countdown, my text was flawless written in the model of a formal letter. The game was all designed to be based on user experience and we invested almost 4 years of the best in each area to create it. We had several tests to make sure it would please our public. It was never for the money, it was a hobby. A hobby that granted me the work I'm currently at because I've talked about my project with passion and inspiration, and even showed what I've done in the interview. Now I'm at the greatest food company of the world, I work testing softwares to make sure they are well written and won't cause trouble to the company. My programmer is currently working at Facebook in the silicon valley, he received an invitation to work there after winning the programming marathon in the first place of Latin-America and in the world finals his team reached the 8th place if i'm not mistaken.

Our mapper did things so attentionally and precisely he became a doctor, and even started to study afar from his country, and we invited a new one that is one of the most creative person I've ever knew.
We reached 100+ players, the server was flawless and it was well advertise both on facebook (we had our programmer to sponsor us haha), otserverlist and big pages of Tibia/Otserver;
It was never our intention to make a business, we had a mutual hobby and we invested our time and dedication in it.

But then, players started to show they true nature. They no longer cared for teaming up and doing quests nor exploring. It became a total war and many noob players were killed and gave up from the server. After this, the guilds who were fighting quited too and the server started to be with less and less players until no one was there.

I understood then that I was wrong this whole time, if you give any thrash masked as a sense of progression in the game people will stick into it. Our friend @Flatlander figured it out before we all did.

What exactly is your definition of pay 2 win?

I don't see games that are made by whomever as pay 2 win.. I see them as if I financially support x game company/project then I should be entitled to something that non-paying players will not benefit from for just logging in. This is how the world works and life in general isn't fair.

In all the years that I have played both console or online games I have never so seen people complain about paying customers having an advantage over non-paying customers until i came here, us non-paying customers were just happy to play without having to spend a dime.

Its the reason the Free to Play model works for online games because if people are going to spend money on a game they want to feel like they are getting something tangible in return.

Whether is cosmetic or over powered items people will spend money to get it (because everyone wants to be the best and look great doing it right?)

What exactly is your definition of pay 2 win?

I don't see games that are made by whomever as pay 2 win.. I see them as if I financially support x game company/project then I should be entitled to something that non-paying players will not benefit from for just logging in. This is how the world works and life in general isn't fair.

In all the years that I have played both console or online games I have never so seen people complain about paying customers having an advantage over non-paying customers until i came here, us non-paying customers were just happy to play without having to spend a dime.

Its the reason the Free to Play model works for online games because if people are going to spend money on a game they want to feel like they are getting something tangible in return.

Whether is cosmetic or over powered items people will spend money to get it (because everyone wants to be the best and look great doing it right?)

There is a spectrum of Pay 2 Win.

On one side:
A game can have only cosmetic items available to purchase.

On the other side.
Each $1 you spend is +10 donation damage on your next attack. And it's $100 for a donation set that gives you resistance to all damage except donation damage.
So I go spend $1,000 and hit you for +10,000 damage and you die in one hit.
If you don't spend money, you won't even be able to attack me, so i'm invincible to you.
In this extreme example, whoever spends the most money wins.

Custom servers are dead?
People said that exact same when I started working on Archlight. Put in more work than other owners (majority put in very little work/effort) and players will come. Sure custom servers are a lot more work than running an RL server... and sure many have gone to just hosting rl maps cause it's a very easy passive income... you make a custom server because you enjoy game design/development and want to get better at it with a good base/building block (TFS).

Back