• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Should I convert old good datapacks to use them on latest TFS?

I've looked into some old datapacks and besides the memories you all built on them, there's not much worth copying. Most maps were low quality, most scripts were primitive.

Yes, it's quite easy since the scripts are usually primitive as zbizu pointed out (albeit time consuming if you're not familiar with the scripts and systems) and extremely rewarding too if you played those servers when you were younger. Pretty sure it would encourage more people to run these types of servers too.

I'm in the process of it myself with illusion 7.6 however I decided to turn it in to my own project and it's no longer a clean conversion but more of a 'revamp' or v2 or something, I don't know what to call it however I stuck with 7.6 protocol because I enjoy torturing myself apparently. Would love to see some old datapacks running on 1.3.

Good luck !

pssst. Armoni

as someone who actually did it, I'd say it's not worth the trouble. Maps were pretty lame and there was anything great system/script wise.
If you have the knowledge to translate a code to 1.x era, you should also have the knowledge to recreate it in a better way.

For Empire what we did was:
  • Raise the version of the map to 10.4 (it was the rl tibia version back then)
  • convert all the scripts to 1.x

We tried to launch the game like this but it didn't had public. The few ~20 that were playing really enjoyed it but lack of players is really something hard to deal with in a 1~2x exp server.

We then started to revamp the whole idea, quintessentially it was still Empire server and we started modeling the map with new and more beautiful sprites of cities. I've created plenty of systems to try and move more to the "custom" niche.
The thing is that most of us are adults now, simply converting an old server may attract the nostalgics, but won't make them stay.
There's also the fact that most of the people that play ot servers now are fairly new and may not have played those old school servers. They are expecting auto loot and several other tibia rl features.

wait, are you asking it for which purpose?

if it is to release for everyone, yes, do it, you don't really need to remake everything since we have the compat.lua file
it is always good for newbies to have datapacks compatible/ready with/for newer engines that work out of the box, than having them using 0.4 (or even 0.3.6) because they don't know how to use them in more up to date engines

Back