• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

TFS 1.X+ Should we always check the checksum of every packet?

gudan garam

Advanced OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
So, I've been working on understand the network and connection part of TFS and have come across some divergencies regarding checksum checking.

So, on TFS official repository, the Connection::parsePacket method checks the checksum for every packet if it thinks there is a checksum to be checked.

Now, I know this is mainly TFS related but for the sake of learning, I'd like to show other cases.

For example, on OTX they won't check it, they just skip it and also, only if it is the first packet received.

Now, I've seen other repos where they would only check the checksum if it is the first packet aswell, like OTX (but they would actually check it).

So, my question is. Is it because they are on different protocol versions (tfs on 10.98 otx idk and others idk aswell). Or is it something we can actually not check and that would be beneficial in someway? Do we only check it so that we can skip it if there was no checksum?

Back