• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

So I'm in the process of designer an RPG server

Eiffel

EternumOT Mapper/Designer
Reaction score
I've been seeing a ton of 8.0 client-based servers, usually consisting of stock maps and extremely bland concepts, usually changing very little. I can understand this for War Servers (and I really do wish the old account-manager based servers would come back for this, praise Gesior), but most of them don't try to focus on PvP. Heck, most of them don't focus on PvE or PvP, and it's just an attempt for quick donations and reiterations under new names with no actual new content.

Thankfully, there have been a few servers that I've enjoyed and will honorably mention them.

Arda Online
Ascalon World
DeathZot
Necronia

Out of the hundreds of servers around, I could only find 4 that had a substantial change or shift from the original tibia, with obvious attempts at creating something new. Now, that is not to say that these are perfect servers, but I've noticed one common element that most of them seem to be missing, and I want to design a server around the concept, due to the vast replayability.

Items

Yes, items. Not just adding more numbers to items, or finding stronger items, no actually diverse items with amazing effects that can be altered and toyed with in a large amount of ways. I have a few friends that I talk and play Tibia with, and most of them love when we loot or use an edited item that strays from real tibia.

The servers I listed do have custom items, but they simply, in my opinion, do not flesh it out enough to give me the old Tibia feeling of feeling awesome and powerful, all while being unique. Sure, Real Tibia had a very bland item system, but that feeling of newness is what kept me playing Tibia for many years, and it's something I believe can be reinvigorated through a vast system with infinite amounts of combinations.

Obviously an RPG needs more than just custom items, but I feel it should be the focus. And I want to design an OT around it.

The problem is, however, that I am a terrible scripter. I can make monsters, spells, some quests, but I cannot create a server with my ideal systems in place. I am friends with talented programmers, such as Xaguls and Flatlander, but they are far too busy to reach for help.

I guess my question to the OTland community is this;

Would you play a 9.8+ server that had the following:
  • Extremely diverse and intricate item system (Example: Finding a Dragon Shield that summons a fire shield that deals damage to players in an X shape when an attack is successfully blocked, and then taking it and adding more defense, health regeneration, and leveling it up to unlock new effects, and then using your own crafting skills to enhance the effects of the item)
  • Large map without teleporters, with various cities and raids that effect the status of said cities (Example: An orc raid has taken Sunken Harbor, you can no longer use the NPCs in the town, unless you know the Orc language or fight back and take the city)
  • One Time Quests (Example: An extremly difficult quest chain [Think of MotlS and PoI, add them together, and do it for the first time without a walkthrough, and be rewarded with an item that will not longer be obtainable for a set period of time.)
  • Diverse Class and Vocations (Example: Be a summoner that can summon a variety of creatures, and your words will be used to cast spells from the summoned creatures location, while being able to move your own creatures by simply dragging them, without having to be next to them. Be a miner and unlock the ability to use a pick to find secret dungeons.)

And More.

Obviously, this seems cool and all but I actually don't have any clue on how long it will take to create a server if I fully commit to it, nor do I know if it will pay off (donations).

I feel like there is a decent sized community wanting really fun and diverse custom servers, and the server could be sustained through said community.

Final Questions
What do you look for most in an RPG server?
What kind of progression means the most to you?
What would you donate for that didn't give power?
How long do you usually play a server for?

Thanks

tl;dr?

I saw client 9.8, why pick such an awkward client lol

Either go all the way back to 7.6-8.6 or just use the latest one with TFS 1.0

And those ideas could work but it would take you a lot of time, people normally give up before actually finishing their projects.

I don't play tíbia anymore so I can't help you with those questions haha

You have to go full-time and have a good team consisting of at least few more people besides yourself. A mapper, a scripter, someone who has basic knowledge of how the source code of OTS works, optionally a spriter, a project leader (assuming you want to be one yourself), best if you had more than one of each. Testers can be acquired later on (it is always nice to have an extra head too, though). The process is very long, there will be a lot of problem solving. Just having a strong item system won't be enough.

Anyway, it is always nice to see something new, and in case you're actually a persistent and motivated person, I am very well interested. I mean there is a reason why the owner of this forum chose to go with a real map server instead.

Like someone mentioned above, go with the newest TFS version instead.

I always wanted to do something like this myself, but it requires the dedication that I don't have.

To the people saying "Go with TFS 1.0 when making a custom server"

I can reliably say you would have to have a programmer do at LEAST months of source-code editing before TFS 1.0 would be able to create ANYTHING of worth custom-wise. It is missing 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% functionality when it comes to creating anything new.

**EDIT**
Apparently TFS 1.1 will have a lot of missing functionality and may, or may not be good enough to do what is needed to be done.

Last edited:

I can reliably say you would have to have a programmer do at LEAST months of source-code editing before TFS 1.0 would be able to create ANYTHING of worth custom-wise. It is missing 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% functionality when it comes to creating anything new.
I've gotta agree, and even in general not just custom servers people keep saying go with tfs 1.0 when making a new server when a majority of people creating the servers will not understand the coding and won't be able to make anything of substantial difference in the server.

That is because if you want to "create ANYTHING of worth custom-wise" you will always have to implement 99% of the features, you can hardly create a framework where everything you think of is possible.
I am not really sure where you are going with your statement but one could think you mean that TFS 0.4 would be a better option.

I agree that item attributes are great for customisation, they are planned in Mark's milestone for 1.1 if I remember correctly.

For everything that does not work because of "global storages" you can either create a new database table or serialize the global storage table which takes 5 minutes to implement. (Raids, one time quests)
Not sure what you mean with move with your mouse and the summons or whether it is possible with events.

Features were never really removed they are just not implemented yet or not planned because they were hardly used I guess.
If those are all points that is far from 99.99999% or from thousands of ways, it is items and some summon related thing I never saw or heard of.

Also, I would value stability and optimization much more than some features I have to implement.

I would not recommend 0.4 in any case nowadays.
If he needs item attributes he has to wait for 1.1 to implement the feature or create it himself, in most other things the servers are similar or one might a slight edge.
Trying to get 0.4 to the standarts of 1.0 would be much harder than adding all features 1.0 is missing to 0.4, also creating a custom OTS is always a lot of work, it is not worth saving time on the wrong end.

I would completely agree with you if TFS 1.0 was being built with the intent for both custom servers and real map servers.

TFS 1.0 is one thing, it is the best Cipsoft Simulator ever made. If you want to do almost anything different than what Cipsoft has done, you will need to literally change TFS 1.0 into something else that is no longer TFS 1.0 through rigorous source edits. You even commented on another thread about this. There is a bunch of people making a Custom version of TFS 1.0 adding in features that are missing, and you asked them why not just create pull requests to TFS 1.0 instead of creating their own version. They had to do this because they wanted these features, and sent pull requests to Mark and were basically told that adding code that increases functionality decreases optimization.

But optimization for what? In this case Mark is talking about creating the most Optimal TFS to run Real Map Servers. He isn't talking about the most Optimal way to create a version of TFS with a ton of functionality, he literally is restricting functionality with the goal of making the best possible Cipsoft Simulator.

Mark achieves his goal, and he is way better than me at programming. I just wish his goal was to add as much functionality as possible, while keeping a stable and optimized structure.

Also if you look at Xagulz Servers, they stay online for thousands of hours without restarting. I would say it is much less work to make TFS 0.4 stable, than to add all the functionality of TFS 0.4 into TFS 1.0.

TFS 1.0 is very good, but changes are limited because all community use that for Real Servers and add something who will break the stability or code perfomance is a bad thing.
For now i think TFS 1.1 will be a way for add features which was missing and TFS 1.0 will be a stable server for all Real Servers

Last edited:
well tbh. arda has how many people online? however its one of my favorite servers ever seeh online so far. basically you can do anything people find reasons not to play ur stuff. i guess dzot is getting played because of fanboys. I dont see alot of fun in it lately. anyways.. flatlander counted up pretty much everything. gl with ur stuff

I would completely agree with you if TFS 1.0 was being built with the intent for both custom servers and real map servers.

TFS 1.0 is one thing, it is the best Cipsoft Simulator ever made. If you want to do almost anything different than what Cipsoft has done, you will need to literally change TFS 1.0 into something else that is no longer TFS 1.0 through rigorous source edits. You even commented on another thread about this. There is a bunch of people making a Custom version of TFS 1.0 adding in features that are missing, and you asked them why not just create pull requests to TFS 1.0 instead of creating their own version. They had to do this because they wanted these features, and sent pull requests to Mark and were basically told that adding code that increases functionality decreases optimization.

But optimization for what? In this case Mark is talking about creating the most Optimal TFS to run Real Map Servers. He isn't talking about the most Optimal way to create a version of TFS with a ton of functionality, he literally is restricting functionality with the goal of making the best possible Cipsoft Simulator.

Mark achieves his goal, and he is way better than me at programming. I just wish his goal was to add as much functionality as possible, while keeping a stable and optimized structure.

Also if you look at Xagulz Servers, they stay online for thousands of hours without restarting. I would say it is much less work to make TFS 0.4 stable, than to add all the functionality of TFS 0.4 into TFS 1.0.

I think maybe you aren't really keeping up with what's been going on with TFS 1.1.

The item's attributes have already been made by @Evil Hero and @zbizu and could easily be added to 1.1. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure zbizu only needs to fix a few things to resolve a merge conflict and then it WILL be in 1.1. Not to mention @MartyX just got involved and started making OTX 3.0 based off of 1.1. If you have ever used an OTX server then you would know that one of the main things he always has in the OTX servers are custom attributes for the items, mounts, outfits and ect. So if any of them wanted to do a pull request to get it added to tfs 1.1 it would be simple and quick, then others would merely need to download the latest source of 1.1. OTX is always FULL of custom everything, and since the newest one is based off the newest TFS 1.1 then there are a world of possibilities waiting around the corner of the new year. This year is almost over and in the past few months the amount of work that has been done is amazing!

Zbizu is in the process of getting abilities worked into items for a new function like item:setAbility()

onCombat, and onCombatArea have both already been added as well as onChangeOutfit, which are all very much needed for many "unique" systems built in OT. Events, pvp rules, ect, ect.

TFS 1.1 has literally started turning completely around from being JUST "best cip simulator" in the last week. Many things have been added and others have been added to the "milestones". --Granted that is still the goal of tfs 1.1 but I believe they are accepting more to get more people involved and moved to this version...

There are tons of things yeah that may still be missing, but if you are an avid follower of the forks from tfs 1.1 or 1.0 and a avid follower of 1.1 itself you would see that there are many of custom things that were missing that the people themselves are adding, and mark has been surprising me with the stuff he is actually allowing to be merged...

@Flatlander
Actually adding abilities will be easy. It just needs more changes in combat and something in equip events to read attribute instead of default value. However, integer range is tiny in comparision to list of abilities so it either needs separate function or rewriting attributes.

@Codinablack
When otx was based on 0.3.7 I couldn't tell any difference between them. It was used only because 0.3.7 repo was unreachable for free users. Also keep in mind that there is a better way to do these attributes so I won't request adding that to 1.1 repo yet. At least not before my other pull requests are still open. You overrate my work. I only fixed shootrange and made a workaround for getAttribute.

I think maybe you aren't really keeping up with what's been going on with TFS 1.1.

The item's attributes have already been made by @Evil Hero and @zbizu and could easily be added to 1.1. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure zbizu only needs to fix a few things to resolve a merge conflict and then it WILL be in 1.1. Not to mention @MartyX just got involved and started making OTX 3.0 based off of 1.1. If you have ever used an OTX server then you would know that one of the main things he always has in the OTX servers are custom attributes for the items, mounts, outfits and ect. So if any of them wanted to do a pull request to get it added to tfs 1.1 it would be simple and quick, then others would merely need to download the latest source of 1.1. OTX is always FULL of custom everything, and since the newest one is based off the newest TFS 1.1 then there are a world of possibilities waiting around the corner of the new year. This year is almost over and in the past few months the amount of work that has been done is amazing!

Zbizu is in the process of getting abilities worked into items for a new function like item:setAbility()

onCombat, and onCombatArea have both already been added as well as onChangeOutfit, which are all very much needed for many "unique" systems built in OT. Events, pvp rules, ect, ect.

TFS 1.1 has literally started turning completely around from being JUST "best cip simulator" in the last week. Many things have been added and others have been added to the "milestones". --Granted that is still the goal of tfs 1.1 but I believe they are accepting more to get more people involved and moved to this version...

There are tons of things yeah that may still be missing, but if you are an avid follower of the forks from tfs 1.1 or 1.0 and a avid follower of 1.1 itself you would see that there are many of custom things that were missing that the people themselves are adding, and mark has been surprising me with the stuff he is actually allowing to be merged...

I can be wrong, but nobody did item attributes yet ( custom ), it seems more hard because of the Market, it will need keep the custom attributes when sold for someone...
btw TFS 1.1 release will be a Server for Real and Custom server, but for now it need more time for grow.

Back