• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

steam machine or ps4?

dusieqq

mam hajsu jak lodu
Reaction score
thinking about getting myself steam machine or ps4 next month, can't decide. ps4 is cheaper but it requires monthly fee for muliplayer options which in long term it will backfire, then steam machine is twice the price but you can just install windows there and plug in wireless mouse+keyboard and chill with better graphs and nice computing power in a little box.

Both options will be connected to projector as im all about spacesaving and run on 720p, steam machine as well which will produce even better performance on higher settings in games.

On the other hand i built pc that resembles steam machine but is a little more powerful too for same price of it.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rkkGyc

TL;DR

Portable pc
+exclusives
+better performance than steam machine
+portable
+mods
-price

Steam machine
+exclusives (ETS, CSGO, moba games etc)
+can have windows on it and act as normal pc
+good performance for money
+portable
+mods
-price
-upon installing windows over steamos loses warranty
-not exactly as good computing power as you would want but still better than same price laptops

PS4
+exclusives
+ps4 controller that acts like a driving wheel
+price
+portable
+best performance for money
-expensive games
-monthly premium subs
-no mods

Last edited:
I have a cyber vapor or what's called a steam machine ( pc console). It already came with windows 8 installed and had the option of coming with 10 instead. At the time all stores were out of stock of these so I ended up having to purchase the lowest price one. It runs fairly well and they made it very easy to upgrade by giving alot of additional space and making it where you just have to pop off the top and stick in the upgrade.

There are a ton of steam sells and so far I've bought over 100 games really cheap since i've had it. I sold my xbox one cause the subscription was stupid when I had such an awesome system. There is no reason not to get it. It is the future of gaming.

On the other hand the 'steam machine' is no different than a pc. If you get something better for the same price you might want to go with that.

I would either do a homebuild PC or a Steam machine. For me there are not a lot of games out for the PS4 that is exclusive. I will wait for a year or so when there will be more games.

DO NOT buy a ps4. I have one and they are so bad. ;_;. I have like total of 10 games. and whoops my harddrive is full. And the PSN does not care about you. About 1 week ago the server were down for 12h. The PS4 was not working, You could not play GTA V story mode, You could not watch youtbe, You could not use the internetbrowser and you couldn't even have netflix and chill.

AND GUESS WHAT? THEY DIDN'T GIVE ANYTHING BACK. gash.

Go for a PC. (I have no idea what a steam machine is.)

I have a playstation and its really fun, only use your memory for games you play, for games you dont play or dont plan on playing delete them or copy them, the support is good people are just lazy or inpatient (they do there best). The servers went down Yes because they were hacked (not everything is perfect, steam machine servers can be hacked/DDOS'ed also.

Also with playstation 4 if you dont like your games you can sell them (legally) with steam machine you cannot sell games and if you try to sell your account you risk of it being DELETED and you being BANNED from steam.

I got a big problem on this part i play alot of games on ps4 i play and still need more memory but i wont after japan releases this game out or sega to U.S call phantasy star online 2 or be phantasy star universe 2 it just a good game im just hopeing it release for ps4 since the 1st one phantasy star universe was on xbox 360 and ps2.

Most steam machines i run by are overpriced.
I would rather just build a gaming rig of whatever price range you want, you can make it a steam machine by installing steamos to it. It would give you better cash performance.

@dusieqq i got same problem right now ;D|

What i know :
PS4:
+ got stronger cpu
+ 4k resolution support?
+ dvd, blu ray reader, you can watch movies in great quality from your usb/pendrive after installing some media center software
+ you can play preused games or games from friends, no serial or cd keys here
+ bluetooth
= price almost the same like steam machine
- a little weaker gpu?
- paid access to internet gaming
- web browser sucks, no flash player can be installed, cant watch movies online/game streams, expect installed plugins like youtube, or netflix etc.
- some game prices

Alienware Steam Machine:
- weaker cpu
+ a little stonger gpu
+ operating system os or windows, so you can use every pc abilities, online movies/streams works here
+ a lot of free games from steam platform
- no optic dvd/blu ray drives, so every game must be downloaded?

Remember that you can build Steam Machine by yourself :d

omg you guys are golden miners, this thread is so old, ended up building pc myself :p

specs

i5-4590 with evo 212 cooler
asrock pro4 mobo
8gb ram
2x 250gb ssds
r9 380
500w psu

Back