• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

STOP MAKING OT's AND JOIN A PROJECT!

Funny how this thread went from "Better teamup instead of making all your own ot" to "How to make a good server" :D

I agree with you 100% ghost, i think if otland removed the downloads section the ot community would be 1000x better. Its not hard to click and download and open the server, it takes real work to make an ot that people want to play. So to all of you flamming saying hes a retard for this, think about all the real maps that have nothing special but different donations... They dont add any real tibia features, no quests, npcs pr anything. Just the basics that make it end up being a war server because of high rates. ADD YOUR OWN DAMN FEATURES... Seriously its annoying ots werent made so everyone can get a few bucks via paypal...

I agree with you 100% ghost, i think if otland removed the downloads section the ot community would be 1000x better. Its not hard to click and download and open the server, it takes real work to make an ot that people want to play. So to all of you flamming saying hes a retard for this, think about all the real maps that have nothing special but different donations... They dont add any real tibia features, no quests, npcs pr anything. Just the basics that make it end up being a war server because of high rates. ADD YOUR OWN DAMN FEATURES... Seriously its annoying ots werent made so everyone can get a few bucks via paypal...

Signed

Actually, I learned the most when I first started mapping by edditing maps other people made. This way it was good to see how things where made to learn from it. Also I don't think any of the people where saying he is a retard, most where just disagreeing. And I still think its a choice if people want to make their maps 100% or download things.

Last edited:
I get your point GhostX..
I've been playing around with OTs for a very long time back now and to set up an own OT requires knowledge and a ton of work.
I don't know how many times I've been like "wouldn't it be cool to have an own OT?!" but after some days maybe a week or two you're starting to realize that there is much much work need to be done before you can call it custom and call it your own :p
Tho I'm not saying that people should give up their dreams... Just keep working and your result will go up and down but if I was in their shoes again I would start by reading some tutorials and try to learn some of the .lua scripts and have patience. It will take time but if you're creative it will also be alot of fun when you starting to learn and realizing that you really can do whatever you want.
And one last thing. Try to not see it like work and "baah this is so boring!" Try to find the joy of Tibia which we all got here cause we love!
PS. If your going to try edit something important for the first time, Try to almost always have a backup of the server else all your work might be gone :p Believe it's happen to me alot when I was going to learn add new stuff into database and the startup files :D

The sucess of a project depends solely on the design capacity of its main developer, planning, job coordination and a trustable team. That creates quality, and quality attracts players. If one say that 90% likes to play real map servers, create something to attract these players aswell, there is never a limit to creativity, you cant use that as an excuse.

A definite awnser would be: the sucess depends on your efforts.

I strongly disagree on part of that.
The most important part is having FUN in whatever you do. If everything is managed strictly it usually takes away fun and freedom. Of course, everything being a mess doesn't work, yet the most strictly managed projects rarely open to public. Usually because they've lost interests.
But I agree on the fact that the main developer is the key to success or failure, and of course a trustable team which should take away load from yourself.

Just don't overextend, which many people tend to do.

@aryak, i have a scripter in my project, thats all i need as i already stated.

This is unrelated to my project lol i just stated it as a general issue.

@Tygoshi, i agree with the "having fun" being the most important part and the effort needed etc

@limos, like i said forget past experiences, there are a hell of a lot more ots around now and alot more players. Now there are 5000000 servers with like 5000 players that are divided among those servers. The more ots there are, the lower the chance of having lots of players (if that is what you require)

Frankly myself, i don't care about the amount of players, only the quality. By ridding, trainers, !aol and run, kill and open chest quests, i believe the old community will slowly come back.

People are taking shortcuts and wonder why players don't stay for long. If a game is "too" easy, players get bored. if it is "too" hard, players give up. If it is challenging yet simple, what is the problem? Nothing.

"scuplt" your server, don't copy and paste it.

I strongly disagree on part of that.
The most important part is having FUN in whatever you do. If everything is managed strictly it usually takes away fun and freedom. Of course, everything being a mess doesn't work, yet the most strictly managed projects rarely open to public. Usually because they've lost interests.
But I agree on the fact that the main developer is the key to success or failure, and of course a trustable team which should take away load from yourself.

Just don't overextend, which many people tend to do.

I have to agree, having fun while doing it is important, since people tends to leave when they are under too much pressure and that kills the project.

But I state again, sucess is up to your effort.

I agree with your %effort=%success. That is not the only feature tho.

Effort.
Interaction.
Simplicity.
Innovattion.
Trust.

Are the key elements to initiate and/or maintain a decent server.

If you have those qualities, then i see no reason why you wont be successful; ensuring you don't go all extremist on innovative ideas and keep it simplistic for new players to get used to.

Oh my Gosh,

First of all, removing "download" section will not help. Everyone has rights to publish their own work on the internet if they only want to. If not, they keep it for themselves - I think that is fair enough and simple.

Secondly, as I said, everyone can do whatever they can after downloading a datapack. You will never stop noobs from creating their own noob open tibia servers. The only thing you can do is not to play on them. But seriously, if someone likes a server, even if it's the noobiest server in the world, why should we tell them to stop playing on it?

Thirdly, even a noob will realize that something is wrong with his server after he bought a dedicated server and there are only 5 people playing on it. He will mature and he will say to himself "well, the next time before I buy a dedicated server, I will add some systems to my ots" and another time he will add a website etc.. That's how everyone started.

Sure, there are some noobs that launch some noob servers on their PC and they ask for donations and the next day, the server is being closed. Well think about it... Is the hoster the only person that is stupid? I think some players are stupid as well...

Just a quick word about having fun while making server. It's not neccessary to have fun while doing server. Some people are doing it because they feel they are good at it and it's a good place to start and then go to another game. I must say one thing. Open Tibia Server is actually a great skill training for programmers. It includes like pretty all areas of programming that a programmer needs to know and by that I mean different programming languages like: lua, xml, c++ (very important), html, css, php, javascript (very useful) and lots of others. So why should one not try to improve his skills by making a good open tibia server? He might not have fun with it but he is good at it and he gets to learn new stuff.

:) That's all for now ;D

@up that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

The skills learnt from ots..

That is another topic.

I did not say noobs are stupid for downloading and running.
I did not say we can stop all people from doing this.

I did say, we need to do SOMETHING. (or atleast advise newcomers, get them involved with projects so they grasp concepts)
I did say there are exceptions
and i did say there needs to be more DECENT servers, not just "oh another rl map" "oh another basic evo" "oh another game with tibia sprites" "oh another forgottenl"

Be innovative, yet keep it simple.

In order to know how be make a good server for players, one must become a player of good servers.
Sculpt the server for how you would like to play, class yourself as the average tibia player.
Build your server, for your players, not for your wallets!

I don't think you want such a "noob" involved in your ultimate pro project.
The "noobs" who have some sense for such things don't need to be advised after all.

Build your server, for your players, not for your wallets!
Sadly otserv has turned into a money machine for 95% of the server owners. Especially the download and run ones. But we can't stop that.

Yh i know, but doesn't mean we should give up, there are still people like ME who don't care for money, i'm pretty sure for example: Hesten's Scarlet horn and other projects, aim to speak to the players and not their wallets. I just hope there are actually some more non-corrupt people in the ot community than i think there are because if not, then there is no hope.

The problem is these kids have no idea what their doing, and they think their squared up maps look boss. lol.

I reckon people can do what they want, people do it for different reasons. The "successful" servers are those who had people making them for the rights reason and putting in the hard yards and never giving up.
It "might" be a good idea joining a team, but its probably not the best idea unless you've tried to make one yourself and have a bit of experience otherwise other people wont hire you to begin with...

I don't think there is really a problem, everyone have to learn. People wil eventually learn from experience, no mather if this is by failing or be able to improve even more on their next OT. About the real maps, I know alot people who like them and are willing to pay for it, so why would it mather then?
Same goes for the custom downloaded maps. If people use them in a way so alot people have fun playing on an OT, I don't see any problem.

Last edited:
I see that people are just repeating the same thing in this thread but in different ways lol :p

I would love to discuss about what we are discussing about but I just don't know what else there is to say....

Back